shape
carat
color
clarity

VS2/SI-1-worth paying more

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kit0110

Rough_Rock
I just want everyone''s opinion of the two clarities. Is it worth paying a bit more
knowing it is a VS2. Or if you have an eye clean SI1 would you stay with SI1?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Only you will know how much comfort and assurance you get from having a VS stone instead of an SI. But since you asked my opinion, I''d definitely go with an eye clean SI over a VS any day.

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
Location! Location!! Location!!!

When it comes to inclusions, it could be VS clarity but the inclusions could be in the wrong place. While it could be SI1, but they might be cleverly hidden. All that matters is where the inclusions are. If you can find a stone with SI clarity that is eye-clean go for it. I wouldn''t pay the extra premium for a VS, just for the heck of it.

diamond island

Rough_Rock
To top this off, how a grader grades an VS or SI1 is all different and different for larger stones vs. smaller stones. Dark of many small inclusions, etc... So have to look at the diamond.

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I just want everyone''s opinion of the two clarities.

The following info is for Round brilliant cuts only.

VS-2 is almost always eye-clean
SI-1 about 50% - 60% will be eyeclean

Is it worth paying a bit more knowing it is a VS2.

Maybe, unless you know you are getting an eye clean SI-1

Or if you have an eye clean SI1 would you stay with SI1?

Of course, this is the ultimate value play, to get a VS look for a SI price.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
I would absolutely get the SI1 over the VS2 to save the money! I would just make sure that I look closely at the SI1 to be sure it is eye clean. Eye clean means different things to different people so if you''re not buying in person & are buying over the internet I would say to call the vendor & have them pull the diamond & look at it for you. For me eye clean means when it''s 2 inches away from my eyes & I''m staring at it for at least a minute & can''t make out the inclusions, that''s acceptable. Make sure you''re specific like that. Some companies consider 12 inches away to be where they measure eye-cleanness from.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2004 2:27:41 PM
Author: rosy
I would absolutely get the SI1 over the VS2 to save the money! I would just make sure that I look closely at the SI1 to be sure it is eye clean. Eye clean means different things to different people so if you''re not buying in person & are buying over the internet I would say to call the vendor & have them pull the diamond & look at it for you. For me eye clean means when it''s 2 inches away from my eyes & I''m staring at it for at least a minute & can''t make out the inclusions, that''s acceptable. Make sure you''re specific like that. Some companies consider 12 inches away to be where they measure eye-cleanness from.

Very good advice :}
Email is ok for this also if your more comfortable with it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
A good return policy, good comunication and a good vendor are more important with an si diamond than a vs one.
In the 2ct and under the vs range is the very safe range and the si range is the slightly more work and risk but with a good reward of a bigger diamond or less money spent.

snlee

Ideal_Rock

Originally my honey and I wanted to get an VS2. But then when we compared a VS2 and SI1, we went with the SI1. My SI1 is eye clean. I can''t even see inclusions with 10x magnification. Just make sure the SI1 is eye clean and there''s not much of a visible difference.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
It may sound strange, but I have been working in two countries this past year and the SI''s in one country were like VVS''s in another and over the years the grading is getting tougher on clarity. It is even more strange when you consider some have the same certificates.

SI''s are very popular now and the suff I am looking at these days, being eye clean and pretty clean under 10x metts my standards, no woories. Earlier this year, I would have said no way, because I could see the inclusions and you would take a big risk buying SI where the inclusion affected the brilliance.

So I would agree that your eye clean SI is just fine. Strange to hear myself say that.

I hope you spend the extra money on the colour though
25.gif

Cheers

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2004 10:12:27 AM
Author: PlatinumSmith
It may sound strange, but I have been working in two countries this past year and the SI''s in one country were like VVS''s in another
Moving from... Hungary to Japan ?
9.gif

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
No and you will never guess.

I don''t want to offend anyone. They were good to me over there and maybe my biggest customer was at fault. He was buying his diamonds from all over, mostly China

kit0110

Rough_Rock
thanks for everyone's help! I learned a lot. Yes, I will pay a bit more for the cut, and caret.
It's good to hear everyone have a similar consensus.
This post will be helpful for me when I go to the jeweler.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/25/2004 1:44:12 PM
Author: Brian Knox

I just want everyone's opinion of the two clarities.

The following info is for Round brilliant cuts only.

VS-2 is almost always eye-clean
SI-1 about 50% - 60% will be eyeclean

Is it worth paying a bit more knowing it is a VS2.

Maybe, unless you know you are getting an eye clean SI-1

Or if you have an eye clean SI1 would you stay with SI1?

Of course, this is the ultimate value play, to get a VS look for a SI price.

If you have a large SI2 stone that is totally eye clean up close and from all angles and the inclusions are only visible with a loupe does it affect the value of the stone if the inclusions are small and black but do not affect the brilliance or durability of the stone?

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Good question, I have always thought the inclusion affected the clarity rating despite where it is. That is, a line under the table was the same as a line at the point or the girdle etc. I have read differently here though, so I am unsure.

I am sure that if you buy a SI you should look at the stone first, though.

I also wonder about the size v the inclusion. If you have a 2ct stone with an inclusion the same size as a 20pt stone the 2ct will not be hampered and stay brilliant, but the smaller stone might be awfull. Are they, graded the same?

Fiancee to be

Rough_Rock
I was wondering this exact same question this morning, nice replies everyone. But one more thing, I have just recently started looking at diamonds and am not very experienced. Will I be able to see the inclusions when I go to look at rings today with my untrained eye? I''m planning on getting a SI1 but I don''t want to get ripped off. Also if there are inclusions it sounds like there are better places to have them than others, where do they make the most difference? Thanks.

Fiance to be

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
That is why I prefer VS so SI, if you can't see it, it isn't there.

I think if your eyes are good you will do ok. To me the naked eye is the real test. The loupe is 2D and gives the wrong impression a lot of the time.

Check it with the naked eye and look at it through a loupe, you will certainly see something then. There is a lot of different types of imperfections in diamonds and some affect the brillance more then others. Look at it compared to other stones and decide what you like by what looks best to you.

Let us know how you go

PS

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
look at the map of the stone on the cert--your first clue then under the loupe if the inclusions are hidden in the corners etc no worries--however ive looked at si and vs stones where i can plainly see a little speack at a certain angle--it doesnt bother me at all as long as its not dead center

Fiancee to be

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the tips. I just want to make sure that even if I can''t find the inclusions right away it''s not going to effect the brilliance or sparkle of the diamond.

And excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a loupe?

FTB

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
What size are you looking at? What shape are you looking at? - Two very good questions which would determine my answer.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I *love* SI stones. My sweet spot for a stone is an eye-clean SI2, you can save a bundle. But yes, if the stone is a 3c, the SI inclusions may be easier to see than if it's a .50c SI stone. Though there have been some amazingly eye-clean 3cs on here recently that are SI! Some also prefer larger inclusions that are fewer numbered while others prefer smaller more scattered inclusions. Sometimes it may just speak to your eye and how sensitive it is.

My vote is not to pay more for VS, if its an eye clean SI.
1.gif

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/30/2004 8:56:58 AM
Author: Fiancee to be
Thanks for the tips. I just want to make sure that even if I can''t find the inclusions right away it''s not going to effect the brilliance or sparkle of the diamond.

And excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a loupe?

FTB
The clarity of a diamond does not affect the brilliance or sparkle of a diamond. The only thing that affects brilliance, scintallation and fire is the cut of the diamond....

a loupe is a device that is used to magnify what you are looking. It is a small object that you put up to your eye to enhance the properties of what you are looking at. I think they come in different magnification varieties, but for looking at diamond inclusions, it is recommended that you use 10x magnification...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2004 1:33:10 PM
Author: fortheloveofdiamonds

The clarity of a diamond does not affect the brilliance or sparkle of a diamond. The only thing that affects brilliance, scintallation and fire is the cut of the diamond....
The clarity of a diamond CAN affect the look of the stone in terms of brilliance and scint, but only if the clarity is SOOOOO horrible that no sparkle or brilliance or anything can get through the inclusions, OR an inclusion may affect the way that the diamond returns light due to being spread across facets or similar. But the only way you most likely would notice it affecting light is in something like a horrible I3 stone, like the ones we see all the time on eBay! Think those things are reflecting brilliance? No way!

But for the most part, a well-chosen eye-clean stone with an SI clarity would not affect light return.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
This is part of an emerald cut dia, SI2. You can easily spot the inclusions on this photo.

It was about 3-4ct by memory. You could see the inclusions as they are right under the table, while it was well cut it had a meaty chunkyness about it. I thought it was a really nice stone and I remember they didn''t pay much at all.

On the point about inclusions affecting brilliance, from what I have seen they do. That frozen spit you often find on ebay doesn''t even look as good as a CZ - they are not gems, so we won''t talk about those. It is possible to have a feather shaped inclusion, which goes down the stone is obvious on the side, but not the top. That could easily affect how much light gets bounced about the angles. An SI ideal cut would still look great, but next to one with a less invasive inclusion you would definately notice which one looks better. Feathers are thing that has bothered me in a lot of SI''s I have set. I am not a diamond expert, this ij just what I have seen.

My point is, trust your eyes, check it under the sunlight through the front window, if you can. The jeweller should help you get the best conditions. Look at the cert, look at it through a loupe, look at it close up, and look at it under good light at a comfortable distance. Compare it too another stone, more the merrier, and stare like looking at one of those magic pictures waiting for your eyes to focus - no don''t. Just look a long time and compare. I think you will love diamonds like we do, when your done.

28.gif

You can see for miles inside a diamond if you really try.
23.gif
20.gif

6 cropped to tile.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results