shape
carat
color
clarity

VS2 ideal or VS1 good?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
I''m pretty sure what y''all will say, but I need a little confirmation. :)

I''m trying to decide between a VS1 stone with a "good" cut and a VS2 stone with an "ideal" cut. (We''re talking princess shape here, and both have H color.) I should go with the ideal cut, yes? Just a tiny bit worried about inclusions. Anyway, just wanted to hear what you think!

Thanks ever so!
Kathy

icekid

Ideal_Rock
ideal ideal all the way! It''s pretty unlikely that you''re going to see inclusions in a VS2 stone. Have you not seen the stone yet?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
if the grading was done by a reputable lab, you will not see inclusions in either the vs1 or vs2.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Without knowing any specifics about the stones in question, I would definitely go for the VS2 ideal cut. VS quality stones should, by definition, be eyeclean. So should SI quality stones. Now, depending on the lab that graded the stones (some are less strict in their grading than others), you shouldn''t be able to see any difference between a VS1 and VS2 stone. But you should be able to see a big differrence between a good cut and an ideal cut.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I''d go with the better cut. With a VS2 you should be fine.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Go ideal! A VS2 should be fine and the cut makes ALL the difference in the world!

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for your speedy replies. Wow! :) :)

Both stones are GIA. It''s an internet thing, so I haven''t seen them in person. Am going by the numbers and the vendor''s recommendations. (Yeah, I know there are some pitfalls there!) Anyway...VS2 ideal sounds like the way to go. :)

Again, thanks for your help. You guys are the best!
Kathy

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Everybody sing: Cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut. Now the second verse: Cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut.
31.gif

Shay

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I would say you need to see the stones. How was ideal defined for you? Have you seens pictures of ideal scope shots? I dont think princess cuts can be bought on numbers alone.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Better cut! Better Cut!....I would go with the VS2....You shouldn''t see any inclusions! Good Luck!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ideal cut and VS2 sounds like a great combo. I can''t wait to see it!!! Good luck!!!!
2.gif

VuittonGal

Shiny_Rock
VS2 Ideal without a doubt! Let us know what you end up choosing!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
ideal cut...why go against the grain
9.gif

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Ideal cut it is! :) I put the order in just moments ago--a bit of a leap of faith as I''m going by numbers and the vendor''s recommendation. They have a pretty generous return policy, though, so I feel like I''m covered. :)

I''ll post pics (if I can figure out how to do so!) once it''s finished. The stone in question is for a three stone ring.

Thanks, everyone, for your input! Your advice made the difference. :)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good for you Kathy, I know you made the right choice!!!!
36.gif
36.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Glad you made the ideal choice!!! Congrats!

Heather

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Can I ask for one more opinion? :) What are your thoughts regarding an eternity (or semi-eternity) band with a 3-stone ring? Does it enhance? Or is it too much of a good thing? Is there a problem with them fitting together snuggly?

I know these are hard questions to answer without seeing the ring. Mine will have three princess-cut stones with round pave diamonds in the band. The center stone is 1.10 carats, the two sides are .45 each and the paves total .25.

Whaddya think?

As always, thanks ooooooooooooodles for your help.

PS If you''re pro-eternity band with the 3-stone ring, any particular style? Prong vs. channel set, for example...

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
PS Kaleigh, I just noticed your beauuuuuuuuuuuutimous 3-stone with diamond band. So, so beautifully stunning!
30.gif
'');" alt="Insert smilie
30.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/30.gif" border="0">

Do you think princess cuts will work as nicely in such a combo? If so, should the eternity band have princess stones or pave diamonds to match the band? So many questions!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
If your ering has princess cuts, then I would stick with princess cuts for your wedding band. Channel set would be best as they would sit flush to your ering. You can choose a full eternity or half band, HTH.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
could you have a matching band made?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/17/2005 5:01:20 PM
Author: hlmr
Glad you made the ideal choice!!! Congrats!

Heather
HI:

I couldn''t have said it better! Look forward to the pictures!

cheers--Sharon

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/17/2005 5:59:37 PM
Author: kaleigh
If your ering has princess cuts, then I would stick with princess cuts for your wedding band. Channel set would be best as they would sit flush to your ering. You can choose a full eternity or half band, HTH.

I agree. I like princess e-rings to have princess w-bands.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Although you''ve already made your decision, I have a VS2 and I can''t see any inclusions, even with a loupe. I''m sure you''ll love your ring...it sounds beautiful so far!

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the eternity band input! Having it custom-made is a fabu idea. :)

The 3-stone is actually an anniversary ring that I''ll wear on my right hand, so it''s not really a traditional e-ring/wedding band combo. (Just looking for a little extra sparkle.) Still okay to do the band? Or will that seem strange somehow? Be brutally honest. I can take it. (wince) ;-)

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/17/2005 1:42:13 PM
Author:kathleenmv
I''m pretty sure what y''all will say, but I need a little confirmation. :)

I''m trying to decide between a VS1 stone with a ''good'' cut and a VS2 stone with an ''ideal'' cut. (We''re talking princess shape here, and both have H color.) I should go with the ideal cut, yes? Just a tiny bit worried about inclusions. Anyway, just wanted to hear what you think!

Thanks ever so!

Kathy

This may be addressed below, I have not read the thread yet, but...

THERE IS NO STANDARD FOR IDEAL CUTS YET BY GIA!

The only major lab doing cut grading to date on princess cut stones is AGS.

Wink

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
I received my ring, and it''s beautiful!! Thank you all so much for your input.

I actually ordered both stones and even with my excruciatingly un-expert eyes, I could see a big difference between the stones'' cuts. Even the color was improved with the better cut stone, which probably won''t come as a surprise to you. And it was so much more "facet-y" (technical term ;)).

I know that to some, princess is the Cousin Eddie of diamonds, but, golly, I sure do love mine. :) :) Many, many thanks for all your help. I''ll post pictures as soon as I figure out how to do so!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
PLEASE post pictures...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh yay!

May I offer an opinion still on eternity vs half eternity? Speakingfrom experience, go half. It''s a lot easier to care for, it''s less of a stress out if you concern yourself with every little whack and tap.

I agree, go princess, I also agree with channel set. My friend''s ring is channel set half-eternity with princesses.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results