shape
carat
color
clarity

VS1 vs. eye-clean I1.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bic

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for all the engagement ring advice you''ve given me so far. This stuff is much harder than I expected. I have another question. I''m considering two stones right now of the same size (1.5 carat), and very similar cut. They both appear equally (and very) brilliant/sparkly to my eye.

One of the stones is VS1, the other is I1. The price difference is significant, as the I1 is about $2,500 cheaper than the VS1. I could not see any inclusions on either diamond with my naked eye (and I really stared pretty hard). However, with the 10x loupe, I could definitely see the inclusions on the I1, but not on the VS1. Further, the dealer told me the main inclusion on the I1 (in the bottom/side of the stone) would easily be covered by a prong.

Also, the I1 is H color, and the VS1 is I color. I could tell a difference when they were put next to each other, the I1 looked whiter.

So basically, my question is: all other things being equal, is there any reason to go with an I color VS1 over an H color eye-clean I1?

Thanks!

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
If you're happy with the internal clarity of both stones, then there is no reason to go with a higher clarity. We find it difficult to believe that an H color is facing up distinctly whiter than an I color stone however, the difference between the two colors is extremely slight... Is it possible that you are seeing white inclusions within the I-1 clarity stone and thinking that the diamond is whiter as a result? Or by whiter are you perhaps referring to the brilliance of the diamond?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I agree with R/T.....it's tough to see a visible difference between an H and an I if the stones are well cut, so I'd suspect that one of the color gradings may be off (or as R/T said, perhaps you're mistaking white inclusions or brilliance for color).

To answer your question....no, there is no reason to choose the I VS1 over the H, I1. If you are happy with how the H stones looks, then that's what's important.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I can think of only one reason as to why you should choose the I VSI - your intended wearer might not like the idea of an "imperfect" stone, if she knows the clarity grade. Some people shy away from I1's for that very reason. I chose an eyeclean I1, and the "imperfect" grade doesn't bother me at all.
1.gif

However, your intended wearer may also like the fact that you saved $2500 in buying her stone.
1.gif
If I were in your shoes, and both stones were equally appealing to you, I'd choose the I1, no question.
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 11/21/2003 5:07:04 PM canadiangrrl wrote:

I can think of only one reason as to why you should choose the I VSI - your intended wearer might not like the idea of an 'imperfect' stone, if she knows the clarity grade. Some people shy away from I1's for that very reason. I chose an eyeclean I1, and the 'imperfect' grade doesn't bother me at all.
1.gif

----------------

Just a quick clarification in case your girlfriend does think this way......

The "I" in I-1 stands for "Included".......and you can happily tell her that VVS and VS stones are included, too. All diamonds other than Flawless (and I believe IF) diamonds are included and as such are all "imperfect".

The only difference is that the VS-1 is "very slightly included" (so it shouldn't be visible to the unaided eye) and the I-1 is "included"......meaning it is likely visible to the unaided eye. I think CG's point is well taken only if your GF cares that it's an I1 on paper. You said you've seen them both and you cannot see the inclusions, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results