shape
carat
color
clarity

VP debate and choice of Moderator?????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 2:31:13 PM
Author: EBree

Even if Ifill is as (personally) liberal as one gets, with such a strict format, how could she skew the debate in Biden''s favor without being completely obvious (and not just to Fox)? I''m guessing she''ll be impartial, especially after all of the fuss.

p.s. Many dems are NOT okay with the fact that the entire debate format was changed due to Palin''s lack of debate experience, but what is approved is approved. The Obama campaign approved the format, and the McCain campaign approved the moderator. If Palin is as much of a bulldog as she says she is, she could handle a regular debate format. But again, she''s being coddled. Do you find this fair?
I think both presidential candidates have reason to worry about what their running mates might say. So I disagree with you that this is meant to coddle Palin alone, especially since Obama approved the format.

As for Ifill, hopefully she will be impartial. I still remember the Cheney/Halliburton question that some said was snarky. Others, of course, disagree. And obviously that did not affect the outcome of the election. So we''ll see. I think she is a good moderator. I personally don''t think it is okay for her to moderate this election, in light of her book.

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
Ok, not being snarky....what about the VP debate was changed for Palin? I thought a debate was a debate? I really don''t know what is different. I have not heard. Again, not being snarky.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 2:39:10 PM
Author: MoonWater

Date: 10/1/2008 2:36:11 PM
Author: IndyGirl22
Okay, title of the book aside; look at the PROMOS for it and look at Ifill’s writing record – it/she’s clearly pro-Obama. Anyone who thinks people here are not knowledgeable about Ifill need to check themselves before assuming ignorance. I said that I don’t believe that Ifill cannot give an unbiased debate, but that it will open up the debates for excuses/allegations from BOTH sides. If Palin does well, Dems can say that Ifill had to go out of her way to make it easy for her; if Palin does poorly Reps can say that Ifill skewed it for her.
Anyone, like er the person who said it, like um, me? Perhaps you will do well to assume it's not about you. Or were you whining about the choice? I didn't think you were, my bad.
Who says I was speaking about myself? I was speaking for everyone here. We're all more knowledgeble than the average person. Just a reminder.

ETA: If you were not speaking of anyone on PS then I apologize Moonwater. My mistake.

I do think that Michelle Malkin knows who Ifill is and her achievements though.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/1/2008 2:42:25 PM
Author: starsapphire
Ok, not being snarky....what about the VP debate was changed for Palin? I thought a debate was a debate? I really don''t know what is different. I have not heard. Again, not being snarky.
Star, here is a link to a New York Times article on the subject.
5.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 2:42:06 PM
Author: luckystar112

I think both presidential candidates have reason to worry about what their running mates might say. So I disagree with you that this is meant to coddle Palin alone, especially since Obama approved the format.

Obama's campaign approved the format, but the McCain campaign called for the altered format in the first place because of Palin's inexperience.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Originally, yes. But I don''t believe Obama fought the suggestion (if he did, can someone point me in that direction...preferably from a non-biased source
2.gif
). So that to me says a lot.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 2:43:43 PM

Date: 10/1/2008 2:39:10 PM

Date: 10/1/2008 2:36:11 PM
Okay, title of the book aside; look at the PROMOS for it and look at Ifill’s writing record – it/she’s clearly pro-Obama. Anyone who thinks people here are not knowledgeable about Ifill need to check themselves before assuming ignorance. I said that I don’t believe that Ifill cannot give an unbiased debate, but that it will open up the debates for excuses/allegations from BOTH sides. If Palin does well, Dems can say that Ifill had to go out of her way to make it easy for her; if Palin does poorly Reps can say that Ifill skewed it for her.
Anyone, like er the person who said it, like um, me? Perhaps you will do well to assume it's not about you. Or were you whining about the choice? I didn't think you were, my bad.
Who says I was speaking about myself? I was speaking for everyone here. We're all more knowledgeble than the average person. Just a reminder.
Oh, I got it, you were speaking on behalf of the masses. Being more knowledgeble than the average person does not mean you know who Gwen Ifill is. Some posts indicate that people do not know who she is, let alone have seen her in action, just as I stated. Now, how should I proceed to check myself?

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/1/2008 2:47:18 PM
Originally, yes. But I don''t believe Obama fought the suggestion (if he did, can someone point me in that direction...preferably from a non-biased source
2.gif
Lucky, I haven''t seen anything that says Obama/Biden fought the altered format for the VP debate . . . just as I''ve seen nothing stating that McCain/Palin took issue with the choice of moderator.
2.gif

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
McCain’s campaign admitted that Palin was a less experienced debater, as Biden has been a part of several debates throughout his political career and own failed attempts at the Presidency. Obama approved the format and McCain’s people did approve Ifill – I just wonder if he knew about her upcoming book when they did. Either way, play on. I just know the articles that will be written Thursday night and Friday morning will take Ifill''s views into account...something that could be easily avoided.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 2:47:53 PM

Oh, I got it, you were speaking on behalf of the masses. Being more knowledgeble than the average person does not mean you know who Gwen Ifill is. Some posts indicate that people do not know who she is, let alone have seen her in action, just as I stated. Now, how should I proceed to check myself?
Can you name the specific posts that have led you to believe that some of us don''t know who she is?

For the record, in your original post I thought you were talking about the blogosphere. But if you were talking about some of us, I''d love to know who.
1.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 2:50:48 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl

2.gif
Lucky, I haven''t seen anything that says Obama/Biden fought the altered format for the VP debate . . . just as I''ve seen nothing stating that McCain/Palin took issue with the choice of moderator.
2.gif
omg, was that a blink?
2.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock

Originally, yes. But I don't believe Obama fought the suggestion (if he did, can someone point me in that direction...preferably from a non-biased source
2.gif
Lucky, I haven't seen anything that says Obama/Biden fought the altered format for the VP debate . . . just as I've seen nothing stating that McCain/Palin took issue with the choice of moderator.
2.gif

See! That's the silliness of this. The candidates are fine with their choices. But it's the supporters that are all riled up!
Obviously neither of them are truly representing the average American.
27.gif

3.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/1/2008 2:51:20 PM

2.gif
2.gif
omg, was that a blink?
2.gif
OF COURSE NOT!!! I never blink!!!
emdgust.gif
(OK, now look what you did! I had to bust out the "non-blinking face" again! LOL!)

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 2:51:00 PM

Can you name the specific posts that have led you to believe that some of us don''t know who she is?

For the record, in your original post I thought you were talking about the blogosphere. But if you were talking about some of us, I''d love to know who.
1.gif
Oh and start another flame war? Nah, I think it''s pretty apparent in the choice of wording. Start from the beginning and see if you can find it. And the blogosphere was definitely included in my original comment. It''s like Gwen Ifill is some fanatic Obama supporter who came out of nowhere to moderate at the disadvantage of Palin. I think it''s an insult to the woman''s achievements and reputation. But that''s just IMO.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/1/2008 2:52:21 PM

2.gif
2.gif

See! That''s the silliness of this. The candidates are fine with their choices. But it''s the supporters that are all riled up!
27.gif

3.gif
Lucky, I agree. I think that, if Biden is OK with the modified format and Palin is OK with the choice of moderator, we should all be fine with it too. Just MHO!
21.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 2:50:51 PM
I just know the articles that will be written Thursday night and Friday morning will take Ifill''s views into account...something that could be easily avoided.

To be fair, which side is more likely to squawk about her "bias," even if she''s completely impartial? Let''s be honest- if Palin bombs, anyone will be blamed before she is, no matter the moderator.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 2:53:54 PM

Date: 10/1/2008 2:51:00 PM

Can you name the specific posts that have led you to believe that some of us don't know who she is?

For the record, in your original post I thought you were talking about the blogosphere. But if you were talking about some of us, I'd love to know who.
1.gif
Oh and start another flame war? Nah, I think it's pretty apparent in the choice of wording. Start from the beginning and see if you can find it. And the blogosphere was definitely included in my original comment. It's like Gwen Ifill is some fanatic Obama supporter who came out of nowhere to moderate at the disadvantage of Palin. I think it's an insult to the woman's achievements and reputation. But that's just IMO.
(I decided to start over).

You stated that some posts lead you to believe that people don't know who she is.
You don't want to name those posts, as it may start a flame war, but at the same time you are getting upset that people think you are talking about them. I don't understand that.
33.gif

As one of Indy's posts was among the bunch of people you quoted, I could see why she may come to that conclusion.

E B

Ideal_Rock

omg, was that a blink?
2.gif

A wink is not a blink. Right?
10.gif

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry if this was already posted, but the debate moderators were agreed to on August 6. Ifill''s book was reported in the Associated Press two weeks earlier:

"We have an awkward history about how to talk about race in the nation and in newsrooms," says Gwen Ifill, senior correspondent for PBS'' "The NewsHour With Jim Lehrer" and author of "The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama," slated for publication early next year.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/1/2008 2:57:31 PM
Author: EBree

omg, was that a blink?
2.gif

A wink is not a blink. Right?
10.gif
EXACTLY, Bree! A wink leaves one eye open . . . that would be the eye that''s being kept on the narrow maritime border, yadda yadda yadda.
2.gif
3.gif
9.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 2:58:09 PM
Author: goobear78
Sorry if this was already posted, but the debate moderators were agreed to on August 6. Ifill's book was reported in the Associated Press two weeks earlier:

'We have an awkward history about how to talk about race in the nation and in newsrooms,' says Gwen Ifill, senior correspondent for PBS' 'The NewsHour With Jim Lehrer' and author of 'The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama,' slated for publication early next year.

Thank you, Goo!

I wonder how long it'll take Fox to report this juicy bit of information.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Sorry if this was already posted, but the debate moderators were agreed to on August 6. Ifill''s book was reported in the Associated Press two weeks earlier:

''We have an awkward history about how to talk about race in the nation and in newsrooms,'' says Gwen Ifill, senior correspondent for PBS'' ''The NewsHour With Jim Lehrer'' and author of ''The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama,'' slated for publication early next year.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I heard it''s slated for publication inauguration day. Good marketing.
2.gif
But it could be misinformation.

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the link Irishgrrrl! Well, it is true that Biden has a lot of experience on her, and he can be quite snarky himself, so that is prolly what the McCain camp is worried about. In this case, as with all moderators really, the moderator has to put any personal politics aside, and show impartiality to each candidate in asking questions, and no funny faces or anything.
27.gif

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock

''We have an awkward history about how to talk about race in the nation and in newsrooms,'' says Gwen Ifill, senior correspondent for PBS'' ''The NewsHour With Jim Lehrer'' and author of ''The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama,'' slated for publication early next year.
Thanks for the info! That is what I wondered. I think she can do a good job at moderator, but am preparing myself for the onslaught of alleged moderator biased after the debate. I also think it is clear that she is a strong Obama supporter, so the appearance of neutrality is not there.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 3:01:49 PM
Author: SarahLovesJS

Sorry if this was already posted, but the debate moderators were agreed to on August 6. Ifill's book was reported in the Associated Press two weeks earlier:

'We have an awkward history about how to talk about race in the nation and in newsrooms,' says Gwen Ifill, senior correspondent for PBS' 'The NewsHour With Jim Lehrer' and author of 'The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama,' slated for publication early next year.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I heard it's slated for publication inauguration day. Good marketing.
2.gif
Sarah, just because Ifill wrote a pro-Obama book and wants that book to be released on inauguration day does NOT mean that she is biased and believes that Obama has already won the election.

DUH.

27.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 2:54:00 PM
Date: 10/1/2008 2:52:21 PM

2.gif
2.gif

See! That''s the silliness of this. The candidates are fine with their choices. But it''s the supporters that are all riled up!

27.gif

3.gif
Lucky, I agree. I think that, if Biden is OK with the modified format and Palin is OK with the choice of moderator, we should all be fine with it too. Just MHO!
21.gif

I guess I can get behind that one. I will say though..to all of you talking about Palin''s inexperience..I am sure the Obama campaign was just fine with not giving the gaffe-machine lots of time to mouth off. Just thought it was worth mentioning.
4.gif

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock

Correct me if I am wrong, but I heard it''s slated for publication inauguration day. Good marketing.
2.gif

What could be misinformation? I''m not sure what you meant. Her publication date? Or the fact that AP reported this? Because the latter isn''t misinformation.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 3:05:26 PM

2.gif

Sarah, just because Ifill wrote a pro-Obama book and wants that book to be released on inauguration day does NOT mean that she is biased and believes that Obama will win the election.

DUH.

27.gif

Ohhh thanks for clearing that one up, Lucky! Phew, glad I didn''t get confused and think there might be some bias there.
11.gif
27.gif
31.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 3:07:03 PM

2.gif

What could be misinformation? I''m not sure what you meant. Her publication date? Or the fact that AP reported this? Because the latter isn''t misinformation.

I was referring to the book release date I heard on the news this morning.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 3:09:18 PM
Date: 10/1/2008 3:07:03 PM

2.gif

I was referring to the book release date I heard on the news this morning.
OK, thanks for clearing that up for me.

And for those of you who were wondering the release date of this book is January 20, 2009 as per Amazon and Doubleday/Random House, the book publisher.

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl/9780385525015.html

http://www.amazon.com/Breakthrough-Politics-Race-Age-Obama/dp/038552501X

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results