shape
carat
color
clarity

Visible difference in diamonds 4.69 vs 4.79 mm?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I''m in the process of looking for diamonds for earrings. I''d like to know if the mm difference between 4.69 and 4.79 is visibly noticible? How much variation in the diameters can there be before the diamonds will not look matched?

Thanks!

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Have you got a ruler with centimetres on it close at hand? Have a look at that to get an idea of what you might see. I would bet that in side-by-side comparison at normal viewing lengths, it would be difficult to discern a tenth of a millimetre. If these are a pair destined for your ears, I don''t think anyone will notice a difference.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Aye, i think you''ve gotten confused between mesurements... we''re only talking a 1/10th of a mm difference in size... something your not going to be able to tell.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
The difference will not be noticeable.

A rule of thumb is that 0.2 becomes visible to a normal person. Once the stones are set even that number diminishes.

Logically it becomes more difficult to see slight differences as the stones get larger. Some use the 5% rule to gauge this (5% total difference in diameter as noticeable), but to be quite safe, one may stick to the 0.2 rule.

Considering that these are earrings and will not ever be viewed at the same time when worn you are triply-super-duper safe.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I disagree, my experience is listed in your other thread...

Everyone''s eyes will be difference, but again, these are small diamonds to begin with, so I think that a .10mm difference will be somewhat visible. Not so much that you will think one is tiny and the other large, but you will notice one is bigger. If you compared them side by side that is!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Well here's a .45 next to a .46. (can you see a difference? I can
31.gif
)

sidexside.JPG

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Mara, are you estimating to be that picky, or have you done live comparisons in the 4 mm range? It is entirely possible that you have supergirl vision
emotion-15.gif
Just as some people are more color sensitive than others, some are size (and clarity) sensitive. Nearsighted people particularly.

I would still advise that laying them unset right next to each other is a different matter than putting a nose between them (earrings) or even splitting a center stone.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2005 12
6.gif
2:47 PM
Author: sevens one
Well here's a .45 next to a .46. (can you see a difference? I can
31.gif
)
Sevens - Did you mean 4.5 and 4.6? Or are these almost .5?... Also I trust that these are pretty big magnifications and not actual sizes on my screen, yes?
21.gif

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Sorry Lord S. My cm ruler also marks mm.

I do agree Mara, that side by side, the difference will be noticible. Do you think that people will be looking that closely at the earrings when worn (assuming that one earring is worn on each ear) and will be able to notice a size difference?

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
6.gif
4:43 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

6.gif
2:47 PM
Author: sevens one
Well here''s a .45 next to a .46. (can you see a difference? I can
31.gif
)
Sevens - Did you mean 4.5 and 4.6? Or are these almost-half-carats?... Also I trust that these are pretty big magnifications and not actual sizes on my screen, yes?
21.gif

Oh, I wish.
31.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with John. I don''t think you''ll see the differnece. A related question, do you think there would be a difference in fluor, say if one was strong blue and the other none? I ask because in the 75 stone eternity ring I have yellow and blue fluor stones, some strong that show under back light, but can''t tell in normal conditions, even sunlight.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for the response...and to sevensone for posting pics! My reason for asking is not actually to pick 2 stones with this much of a difference but more to see if it is worth the extra money to head for the 4.79 (roughly .41 carat each) range instead of the 4.69 (.38 carat) range. I am wanting to make sure that my new earrings will be enough bigger than the .50 tcw maul ones I have now. I have CZ''s that are equal to .75 tcw and they seem the right size....1.0 in CZ was too big for me.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it''s being picky at all to say you can see the difference in such small stones. If both Greg and I could see a difference side by side and on the hand (not together) of a 7mm and a 7.15mm, then chances are the .10mm diff on a stone almost half the size would be even more visible. Others here have also said they can see the differences in .10 or .15mm...maybe they have super vision too.
9.gif

I definitely agree it depends on the eyes, just as some see color or clarity difference while others don''t...but I''m a size girl and I can definitely see small changes.

I guess in this instance, I would not pay F SI for a SMALLER stone when I could have H SI/VS that looks the same color wise on the ears for cheaper that is definitely bigger.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
(roughly .41 carat each) range instead of the 4.69 (.38 carat) range. I am wanting to make sure that my new earrings will be enough bigger than the .50 tcw maul ones I have now. I have CZ's that are equal to .75 tcw and they seem the right size....1.0 in CZ was too big for me.
Hi, I have a .38 and a .42 and I can EASILY see the difference
2.gif
. . . As Mara, I'd choose larger lower color stones for earrings over smaller colorless stones.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
The first time I bought, I previewed 2 diamonds. One was 0.1mm bigger than the other in diameter. We could see the size difference. Everyone who saw them could see the size difference. One was 0.75 ct and the other was about 0.85 ct in weight.
1.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys...I think that is what I needed to know...it is indeed worth going down in color for only a few .01mms different.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Once they are set, you will not notice the difference when you handle them.

It''s easy to see differences, as in the example above, where you have them very close together on a black background and at almost 10x magnification.

In the same above case you can tell which has the smaller diameter, but you can''t know which is the 0.45 and which is the 0.46 on the basis of the available info.
31.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
We had these 2 diamonds here, one 0.1mm bigger than the other, and we could tell the difference. Together, apart, made no difference. My daughters referred to them as "the bigger one" and "the smaller one". Now mounted on the ears, most folks may not notice. But I wore one decent cut and one terrible cut for years, and I always thought one looked bigger than the other. No physical size difference, but the sparkle factor was obvious to me.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results