shape
carat
color
clarity

Virtual tour of precious metal refinery

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
I was recently a guest of Wieland Industry''''s precious metal refinery in Phorzheim, Germany, where I was taken on a tour of the facilities. Most of the tradespeople here will have some knowledge of what goes on within the refineries, but won''''t have ever had a chance to actually see it first hand. So, a mini-tour of the "virtual" variety begins now.

The first photo shows a bucket half-full of pure gold flakes, which have been proiduced through electrolysis....the pure metal from a bar of semi-clean, semi-refined gold is electroplated onto a titanium anode through an electrolytic solution, and it simply falls off and is collected from the bottom of the solution as a solute. The impurities remain in solution and are separated by other means.

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Here is a freshly-refined, pure platinum bar. It is heavier than it looks, a definate two-hander.
This is destined to be delivered to an American medical supply company, to be turned into probes which are used in medical proceedures, such as angiograms.

Heavy.jpg

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
These bins are full of scrap material, which is sent to the refinery for processing into pure form.
Each batch is processed separately, by melting and mixing, chemical and photometric assay for purity analysis, and then removal of all alloys through electrochemical processes.

Refining-lots.jpg

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Here is a bucket containing pure platinum "sponge", which is the solute from electrochemical refinement. It is soon to be furnace-melted under an argon gas envelope, whcih prevents atmospheric contaminants from reacting with the clean metal.
It feels like very heavy dirt-lumps, but iconsiderably heavier. This bucket of crumbly lumps is worth over half a million euros.

Platinum-sponge.jpg

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
This is an amazing device. It produces alloyed bars in a continuous feed, and a shear at the end cuts off the bars in manageable lengths. The furnace at the top melts the pre-measured alloys and gravity feeds the molten metal into a tungsten die, whcih forms the bar. It moves through the forming die at several inches per minute. There is a rack of dies of various sizes, so that the machine can produce a huge variety of shapes and sizes of metal stock bars.

Continuous-casting.jpg

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Here is shown the racks of continuously-formed seamless tubing, as well as rod stock which looks very much like rebar used in construction.
The tubing is sold to ring manufacturing companies, who use it to form wedding bands by die-forming it.
The rod stock is used in similar processes, often turned in lathes, drilled, punched, milled into wire, etc. for a multiple number of uses in producing jewellery.

Seamless-tubing-2.jpg

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
This is a bin of newly-refined, pure gold, following the final melt from powder. It is turned into pellets by dropping the melted gold through a sieve into liquid, which forms the tiny pellets as you see them.

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
This is a rolling safe that contains batches of refined metal, ready to be shipped back to the firms who have sent refining lots to the refiner. There is one person responsible for this safe and its contents, and he spends his time on detailed paperwork from the time the metal is received until it is sent to the customer.

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Try this again..
This is a rolling safe that contains batches of refined metal, ready to be shipped back to the firms who have sent refining lots to the refiner. There is one person responsible for this safe and its contents, and he spends his time on detailed paperwork from the time the metal is received until it is sent to the customer.

Brickyard.jpg

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
This is a bin of newly-refined, pure gold, following the final melt from powder. It is turned into pellets by dropping the melted gold through a sieve into liquid, which forms the tiny pellets as you see them.

Bigger-bucket.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
way kewl
thank you!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fascinating!
3.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
This is amazing stuff. Thank you for that "tour."

shay

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That was really cool. Thanks for the tour. Great pics!!!

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for taking the time to have a look.
I apologize for the posts which are missing photos. I shopped them down to under 100 k, but they increased in size during the posting, and I should have noticed. If I could edit the photo attchment part of the posts, i would have.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
David i see all the pictures just fine, thank you for fascinating pictures of the Midas
9.gif
factory.

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
WOW very cool thanks so much for sharing!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Way cool thank you so much!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Very Spiffy!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for posting this. I love to see this type of information.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some spice cabinet! (powders, chunks and grains of interesting stuff...)
2.gif

This looks very high tech compared to what a local gold refinery does. What a difference!

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Wow what a fascinating piece of information
26.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Very, very cool! Thank you!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Wow -- this was really a great inside view of the process. I still have trouble with the fact that the bucket of "lumps" is worth a half a million+ euros!

Thanks for posting this.

ello

Brilliant_Rock
Wow - that was really interesting - thank you for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results