shape
carat
color
clarity

Virtual Stones and Vendor Grades

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Asschman

Rough_Rock
During my recent search for a generic asscher, I found it very useful to compare the same stone listed at different e-vendors websites as a means of getting as much information as I could. For example, one vendor might not have the stone''s GIA cert poasted online, while another did.

What I find curious is that some vendors classify the quality of the stone''s cut--i.e. ideal, average, etc--but they don''t maintain them in stock. How can they do this? And if that information is available to them, and it is verifiable, why not make it available for all vendor''s virtual lists?

Asschman

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think you might have come accross a little fudging..... Since no amount of numbers can really describe an Asscher cut, it is up to a little salesmanship to make you more interested. Seeing is the real test. Words may be useful sales tools, but the eyes and some of the light measuring tools are the real way to judge.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/24/2005 3:50
6.gif
5 PM
Author:Asschman
During my recent search for a generic asscher, I found it very useful to compare the same stone listed at different e-vendors websites as a means of getting as much information as I could. For example, one vendor might not have the stone's GIA cert poasted online, while another did.

What I find curious is that some vendors classify the quality of the stone's cut--i.e. ideal, average, etc--but they don't maintain them in stock. How can they do this? And if that information is available to them, and it is verifiable, why not make it available for all vendor's virtual lists?

Asschman
Not all vendors can work with information from their suppliers the same. Let me expound. You may contact various vendors and sometimes all the information that can be attained is a scanned or faxed copy of a GIA/AGS Report and *maybe* a Sarin (which in many instances are barely readable). Some suppliers however have or have access to technologies werein they can send, through email, virtual models of the diamond they scanned. With that 3 dimensional data an experienced gemologist with the right tools can garner WAY more information than what's on the paper. Trouble is not many suppliers have it. That's where our homework comes in as vendors.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
An asscher can not be judge any other way then looking at it.
The numbers can narrow the field but even with perfect numbers it can be a dog.
Anyone that says an asscher is well cut without at least seeing good pictures of it is full of it.
I wouldnt even consider an asscher that a trusted vendor hasnt seen in person if it wasnt in stock id have them call it in and provide good pictures as well as a written/verbal description.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results