shape
carat
color
clarity

Virtual Assessment vs Direct Assessment: Princess Cuts/Office Lighting

Which diamond appears better in virtual office lighting?

• pr171gsi1 is the clear winner

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • pr171gsi1 is slightly better

• pr73gvs2 is slightly better

• The 2 are so close I can''t tell the difference.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I always show loose diamonds to people by resting them between the fingers on THEIR hand.
If we are comparing a set stone to a loose one, then the set stone goes between the fingers and the losse one goes right beside it.
Then people can move the stone around and truly compare them, walk to the daylight, under spots at counter or out to the office lit grading lab.
I use this for cut and for color analysis.

diamonds between fingers.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I also did not like the Gem advisers with the diamonds mounted diagonally.
I did my own DiamCalc movies with the stones aranged square, scaled to actual size, and with a dark grey background.

I rocked them up and down 15 degrees, with only 3 degrees of diagonal movement.
But for me the main issue would be he difference between 5 and 7 chevrons - the larger stone has only 5 - and i usually prefer princess with less chevrons - I think for many people most have too many. (opinion, not well researched)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
pr73gvs2 is the clear winner to me.
I think all princess cuts are on the dull side and the brighter the better.
They dont have kewl patterns to make up for it like asschers do and the asschers have better fire.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just came on here to check results. Interestingly, before I posted these 2 models I wasn''t aware of the different amount of chevrons on the pavilion ... another interesting comparison.

Just one thing I would like to bring out about this study and its correllation to direct assessment ...

There is no right answer here in the poll. The mixed answers we are getting in the store correllate to this study. This study reveals personal preference in the minds of individuals.

Garry ... I just asked my wife to take the test (only way I could get her here
3.gif
) and I resized the stones down to the same size, smaller than the original model that appears and used the gray background. She picked the 1.71ct G SI1 as being slightly better (but of course said she''d take both as long as they''re over 2ct
3.gif
)

I anticipate a busy day tomorrow (Saturday''s generally are) but if time allows would like to post actual ASET (which is actually on the other thread) alongside LightScope shots and point out some of the interesting differences between these 2 technologies. Most of us here are familiar with Red Reflectors and ASET is new. There is something to be learned here regarding ASET images and diamond appearance, depending upon the lighting conditions the diamond is viewed under which I''d like to share some of my findings on. It is interesting stuff. Pray I am freed up a bit to share and get input on as I am interested to hear everyone''s thoughts.

Kind regards,

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Before we move any further in this thread (and I may not be able to come back on for a couple days) would anyone like to now compare the same 2 stones in direct light conditions for another virutal assessment poll regarding the fire/dispersion of these same 2 stones and how they correllated to our in store assessment by consumers? You may be astonished at the results. LOL
emotion-15.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2005 4:05:37 AM
Author: Rhino
Before we move any further in this thread (and I may not be able to come back on for a couple days) would anyone like to now compare the same 2 stones in direct light conditions for another virutal assessment poll regarding the fire/dispersion of these same 2 stones and how they correllated to our in store assessment by consumers? You may be astonished at the results. LOL
emotion-15.gif

Do you really have to ask?
Post away...

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A project we are doing today which corresponds to this thread...

We are doing these "direct assessment" observations in store today and videotaping responses of consumers in some of the various lighting conditions we show them stones under before making a purchasing decision. So far we have recorded the responses of 5 individuals, each with own preferences as they were viewing the diamonds in each environment. They have no prior knowledge of diamonds except for perhaps a layman who has just seen diamonds from time to time in jewelry stores. NO PRECONDITIONING WITH TECHNOLOGIES. Very important to me. Each has also given me the go ahead that we can publish this material on the web.

THIS IS THE EXACT METHOD GIA HAS USED IN THEIR OWN RESEARCH. We have a GIA "DiamondDOCK" on order so as soon as that arrives we will be including that in these video presentations as well as we get consumer inputs on many other comparisons we have lined up.

Wait till you hear their preferences and why. 2 lovely children participated too. Wait to you see em. :) They offered some astounding perspectives too! I know I can''t link video files here so we''ll be posting this on our site and will seek permission from Leonid to link here for the sake of this study. This is really taking me further out of the box folks, the deeper I delve into this. Wait till you see all the technical data and how this correllates ... it''s going to make many of you rethink your positions about a lot of things.

Aljdewey... considering the perspectives of others.
2.gif
I''ll say no more at this time.
12.gif

I hope to come on later and share but do not expect to. This is so much fun we''re having here with this. I can''t wait till ya''ll see the video.

Peace,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results