shape
carat
color
clarity

Violet Star Sapphire photos!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Daniel M all the way. I'm sending my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th projects (a pendant and 2 rings) to him as soon as a stone arrives from Uli. To me that sapphire screams simple/clean/modern. And the 6-8 month wait is really what kills it for me. I love Sally's work but won't be sending her any projects in the near future because of that. 1-2 months I can handle...but 6-8?!? Unless what you really meant was 6-8 weeks, but I still think I'd go with Daniel for his unbeatable speed and prices. You could also check out Jill Anish, whom I haven't sent anything to yet, but she seems to be a rapidly growing favorite here.

ETA: Love it with the penny. Rose gold and lavender is one of my favorite combinations (you remember my Patrick Irla lavender tanzanite ring, right?).

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OOPS! I did mean 6-8 weeks, SO SORRY! Haha, she is definitely not that slow.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The penny picture didn't do anything for me but I think it'll be great in 18K gold. If you can handle the stress of overseas shipping, my pick will be Sally's work because it stands out as one of a kind when someone looks at it.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, ok, just added a possible 3rd option. I saw this on Janish Jewels on etsy, do you think she or Daniel makes a better bezel?

file.jpg

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I replied over in SMTB too, but so it's all in one thread - what do you think of something like this setting? The ring is a Roberto Coin that I bought at a trunk show. It's a cabochon amethyst with a mother-of-pearl underliner, pave pink sapphires, in rose gold.

You could use diamonds or blue sapphires or......and any color metal.....

R.Coin Ring3.jpg

R.Coin Ring2.jpg

R.Coin Ring1.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks starry eyed!

It's a lovely ring, but I don't think it'd work for my star cab since my cab has an unpolished "butt" on it so the profile view wouldn't be as nice.

Although come to think of it, I"m really not sure why star sapphire have a "butt", they just all seem to...

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
MakingTheGrade said:
Thanks Ltl! The pictures help a lot!
I actually do really like smooth clean lines, which is why I'm so torn.
I"m also wondering how dirty I would get the etching after awhile, lol. I'm planning on wearing it as a RHR fairly often since it's a sapphire cab, do you think the etching holds up to wear well?

I personally love both settings, I mainly leaned towards Sally because it seemed to be a better fit for the look you were describing.

I would not worry too much about the etching if you went with gold, from what I saw, it looks like if it did get dirty, soap and a soft toothbrush would take care of it. I just saw the ring 2 weeks ago after 9 months of daily wear and it looks great. With silver I would worry about tarnish around the etching.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
MakingTheGrade said:
Thanks starry eyed!

It's a lovely ring, but I don't think it'd work for my star cab since my cab has an unpolished "butt" on it so the profile view wouldn't be as nice.

Although come to think of it, I"m really not sure why star sapphire have a "butt", they just all seem to...
I'd go with the Sally then. It gives the sapphire more importance than the bezel setting. The bezel setting is very minimalist, which is nice, but it downplays the stone. I guess it depends what look you're after.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for the input!

I've been obsessing since Thursday, and I think I'm going to go with a sleek bezel with DanielM for this one. Mostly because I'm a coward and the idea of sending my new sapphire overseas is giving me ulcers, lol. I've send sally tsavorites and tanzanites before, but I feel like this star would be much harder to replace than any of the previous stones I've sent her.

Ahh...feels good to have made a decision. Thank all of you for the input! I think I will get the sally setting in the future with a different cab!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl: Glad you made a decision! I think DM will do a fabulous job on the bezel.

And that orange cab ring on the other page is gorgeous! I think I need to do some of them too!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks packrat!

This will apparently be their first 18k rose gold piece. :bigsmile: I'm so excited!
I think Caren picked up on how nervous I was working with a new jeweler and she sent me a link to some of daniel's past work. I feel a lot more confident now. She's also been so very very patient with me, I think she answered 5 different messages from me just today!

http://cid-e1183cf05a4a49ef.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/Custom Jewelry?lc=1033

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Starryeyed - I LOVE THAT ONE! Now I reeeeaalllly want something with a "polished butt" to do something like that with... except maybe with more delicate sides, if that's possible. What is the deal with the "underliner"? More pics!

SO HAPPY YOU'RE GOING WITH THE DANIEL. I'm really into it. A lot. I LOVE the marquis-ish pinched sides to the bezel. It's very delicate and organic.

Though I agree that is might downplay the stone a tad... but, I think it'd go with some pave or accent diamonds on the shank over any kind of etching. Actually, I think VERY small bezel-set marquis diamonds on either side would look awesome. Or even taken the basic Cebrahah idea and going spilt shank somehow?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MTG and others who've used Sally,
To get around the international jet setting gemstone status, has anyone sent Sally only the measurements of the stone(s) to get a customized setting, then have a local jeweller prong set the ring?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey chrono
I've done that with success before as have others with the lotus setting. I think as long as its a pretty standard cut it should work out fine.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MTG,
Thanks! I am considering having Sally make me a 18K yellow gold setting in a few month's time once I finalize the design.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
MTG,

I can't wait to see the sapphire set!!! I am sure it is going to look great.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone. No ideas about the setting, but congratulations!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mastergoldcraft on ETSY sets lots of cabs.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Crasu!

I actually totally forgot about him...oops. I already sent it to Daniel M

Speaking of which, I mailed it over the weekend, and the estimated arrival date was supposed to be yesterday, but I haven't heard word from Caren or Dan yet. I know it's too early to be worried, but I can't help it! Eeek. Haha, I haven't heard from her in 2 days, and I'm already all nerves, I can't imagine what I would have done in the days before email and phones.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
That sapphire would look great in any setting! I think DanielM was a good choice, I've been very impressed with what I've seen of his work on here.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
MakingTheGrade said:
Thanks Crasu!

I actually totally forgot about him...oops. I already sent it to Daniel M

Speaking of which, I mailed it over the weekend, and the estimated arrival date was supposed to be yesterday, but I haven't heard word from Caren or Dan yet. I know it's too early to be worried, but I can't help it! Eeek. Haha, I haven't heard from her in 2 days, and I'm already all nerves, I can't imagine what I would have done in the days before email and phones.

Hi, did you email them?
Caren is SUPER quick about answering her emails, I wouldn't hesitate to drop her a line
I love Daniel M work :love: :love: :love:

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my gosh that stone is incredible! I can't wait to see it set!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did email them yesterday early afternoon but haven't heard back yet. I think part of the reason I'm nervous is because she usually does respond SL quickly.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, Caren wrote back. No stone showed up...eek! It's only a day behind as of now, but still, I'm all nerves. I'd love some PS dust if you have any to spare!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't forget there was no mail on Monday! Still, sending safe arrival dust!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg Packrat, you're right! I totally forgot! (Because of course, I was working that day, haha).

Thanks! That puts me much more at ease :)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl: Welcome! I'm betting you'll hear from Caren tomorrow that the lovely is safe and sound!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat said:
:appl: Welcome! I'm betting you'll hear from Caren tomorrow that the lovely is safe and sound!

I did! Yay. I can relax now. Phew. Thanks for the reassurance.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so glad! Can't wait to see it finished!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results