shape
carat
color
clarity

violet spinel

ladyvengeance

Rough_Rock
Hi PSers,

This is my first post, and my first gem. Thanks to lurking around on PS I was able to learn so much more about what I was looking for (and what I should be looking for).

I decided on a violet spinel, cushion-y shape, 9.40 x 9.73 x 6.14mm. It's so sparkly in person and it's just right for my personality.

I didn't even know what a spinel was before PS. Thank you all so much for this great resource. I was able to find something that had what really mattered to me - an unusual color, nice size, non-treated...win-win-win all around.

I've attached a picture but I realize it's not a good one at all, I was trying to show the base color. It's been so dark here this winter. And fuzzy here too, apparently.

violetspinel.jpg

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Hi and kudos for posting. We haven't had any sun here either. Spinels are lovely, one of my favorites! I actually like the gray mask that is apparent in lots of spinels. Post more pics if you get a chance.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We do need more pictures, of the stone face up, and in other lighting, especially if the sun comes out. How many carats is it?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Do you perhaps have the vendor photo that you could post in the mean time?

ladyvengeance

Rough_Rock
Treenbean - thanks! I too really like the hint of grey. Grey is my favorite color and according to Andre Gide, the color of truth. My spinel was described as 'stormy' and was classified as cold purplish violet. Once it's a little less stormy around here, I'll be taking more pics.

TL - will comply. The stone is 4.17 carats.

VapidLapid (great name!) - I've attached a vendor photo.

WFphoto.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A nearly 10 mm cushion means the spinel is about 4 carats? Oh, I looked down and I’m right. The vendor picture looks familiar. Is it from Ed of Wildfish? Thanks for the picture but one isn’t enough. A frontal view would be great and perhaps when the sun peeks through, you’ll be able to get more accurate pictures.

ladyvengeance

Rough_Rock
I'll attach one more vendor photo for another angle.

The spinel seems to show different hues at different times of the day. During the day it does look colder and often has these hints of navy blue and aqua that this vendor photo appears to have captured.

At night it seems quite warmer and is more of the purple that is in my amateur photograph.

I like the different colors quite a bit. It's fascinating - this must be why folks enjoy gems so much! At first I had been considering more dramatic color-change sapphires but I think I might prefer this subtle change. (Please remember this is my first colored stone, that might seem like a simplistic observation but it's all new to me!)

WFphoto2.jpg

ladyvengeance

Rough_Rock
Hi Chrono -

Yes, the spinel is from Wildfish. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to say that.

Ed was really, really nice to do business with. I looked at a lot of different vendors but I just really liked what he's doing.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ladyvengeance|1295370440|2825816 said:
I'll attach one more vendor photo for another angle.

The spinel seems to show different hues at different times of the day. During the day it does look colder and often has these hints of navy blue and aqua that this vendor photo appears to have captured.

At night it seems quite warmer and is more of the purple that is in my amateur photograph.

I like the different colors quite a bit. It's fascinating - this must be why folks enjoy gems so much! At first I had been considering more dramatic color-change sapphires but I think I might prefer this subtle change. (Please remember this is my first colored stone, that might seem like a simplistic observation but it's all new to me!)

Spinels are rather new to me as well. I really didn't start collecting them until I joined PS. I wasn't as enamored with them early on in my hobby of now 20 years. I did discover them, and better late than never, as now they are one of my favorite gems!! I wear at least one spinel every single day. Four carats is a very nice size, thanks for the additional pics, and it sounds like a color change spinel.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most spinels will shift, some more than others, depending on the source of light. Sounds like you have a violet to purplish shifter. The thing I love most about spinels is the amazing luster, especially the violetish blue ones which goes off like rainbow coloured fireworks.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
It looks really beautiful. Congrats on your new stone!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I learned about spinels on PS, too. Yours is gorgeous. "Stormy" is a great way to describe the color -- congrats!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
It is a most unusual color, brooding and moody. Also it is large and limpid. I would set it in silver oxidized black. What are your plans for it, ring, pendant?

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's beautiful, love the hue. Please show us more when you have it set.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the most recent photo of it! Its lovely!

I'm also partial to the stormy color, in fact, I just got a spinel that's also on the dark and stormy (but sparkly!) side. It's like watching lightning move through a cold night sky. Or like a blueberry covered in glitter :cheeky:

ladyvengeance

Rough_Rock
Blueberry in glitter...LOL, I LOVE that!

ladyvengeance

Rough_Rock
So I took more pictures... while it's still somewhat dark out, at least there's some sun.

I've never really used my macro setting on my G10 before now...so there's that.

Spinelside.jpg

Upsidedown.jpg

stormyspinel.jpg

A

Anonymous

Okay so coming out of lurker mode with an honest question. Why is Wildfish so much more expensive than other vendors that are mentioned here? I fully admit that I'm a complete newbie (still absorbing a LOT of info before making some purchases, but definitely addicted). So go easy on me please. :lol:

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
I'm fairly new here too but I think that wildfish charges more because they believe in fair trade and ecological mining. Their gems come with external lab certificates too. And, their gems are also untreated. I suppose it's like buying certified organic fair trade coffee versus generic coffee. I can't afford wildfish right now but I can't wait to be able to buy some of their beauties. (I do buy certified organic fair trade coffee though).

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interesting stone. Congratulations!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Interesting Spinel, congrats on your purchase. :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While it’s true that Wildfish charges more because they only purchase from places with fair trade and ecological mining, they also have to take the word of their contacts because one cannot prove it all the way down to the source. I believe there has been a discussion on this a few months ago on PS. I applaud Ed for only dealing with places where the miners are getting fair wages and are treated as well as the conditions allow. However, on the topic of gemstones offered being untreated and providing lab memos from a 3rd party, there are many other vendors who do the same for much less. Many species of gemstones remain untreated (most garnets and spinels) and it costs under $35 to get a brief from AIGS.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the philosophy behind Wildfish, but have never purchased there because I can't make heads or tails of the photography. The IRL photos of the stones that I've seen posted on CS never look, to me, like the vendor photos. But actually, I have that problem with several vendors.

Ladyvengeance, congratulations on your first gemstone purchase! It's a very rich, interesting color, and I'm hoping you'll post with photos of it again once it's set. :appl:

ladyvengeance

Rough_Rock
I only have my own experience to go on, but I'll try to explain my process in using WF. I did a lot of looking around at different vendors but in the end, Wildfish had what I wanted. I felt the price was fair for the stone and the level of service provided. Ed very patiently put up with a lot of newbie questions from me about many of his stones. I understand Chrono's point too about provability, but I realized I did want to give business to someone who is at the very least making the concerted effort to source fair trade/ecological mining/etc. (Funny you said that, Gempassion - I'm really into fair trade coffee, too!)

Once I decided I wanted a colored stone to eventually set in a ring, the parameters that ended up being important to me were:

*interesting, unusual, different, yet within the confines of my own taste
*untreated (thank you PS)
*substantial size
*ethically sourced

I should also say that for my first big gemstone purchase, I admit I wanted something that I could be proud of. I didn't want to try to get an Ebay "steal" and be really disappointed when I finally saw it in person.

I'm still really happy with my purchase. I feel like I got a lot of stone for the money.

ladyvengeance

Rough_Rock
I remember lurking around and reading PS incessantly and coming across a thread where someone was curious about using a black diamond as an engagement ring stone. I think someone clever told her to consider a dark spinel, and I have to say that now I know that was great advice.

My stone has luster and glimmer even in very low light, which I think is very appealing, and personally I would prefer that over flat black.

ladyvengeance

Rough_Rock
Regarding setting the spinel, I just made an appointment with Leon. I'm hopeful, yet a little scared. But damn I love those claw prongs.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Don't be scared of Leon. Just be straight and know what you want. He will give you really good advice regarding your ring. Some people have had really horrible experiences with him but I think he is funny and nice. When I look at my e-ring I continue to love it after all these months and when I compare it to other peoples rings it outshines most.

Your spinel is beautiful and I hope your ring is fabulous too!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting that you're meeting with Leon! Don't worry about Leon, and don't let him bully you around in the least bit!

As coincidence would have it, my dark spinel is set with pointed prongs, I don't call them claw prongs because they really aren't as nearly like Leon's. But I still love it!

file.jpg

file.jpg

And Brian Gavin does a lovely pointy prong too, as do many other vendors. So no worries! There are plenty of metalsmiths in the sea :wink2:

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
I think that spinel will look fierce in a LM setting. Can't wait to see what you decide on for the setting!

ladyvengeance

Rough_Rock
MTG, thanks! And hey, that's the 'old' spinel that I liked so much on the catch all thread. The prongs are very nicely done.

Treenbean - thank you, I needed to read that before my meeting. When I first sat down, my hands were shaking. But it turned out just fine.

Gempassion - thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results