shape
carat
color
clarity

View of Obama from Harlem

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
This is hilarious. It''s from the Howard Stern show.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
The link doesn''t work, but I''m assuming you''re trying to link to the mp3 file about Obama voters in Harlem?
If so, I agree with you....Hilarious! And quite pathetic.

It''s not like they were tricked with hard questions either....to not even know who Obama''s running mate is, well, let''s just hope they don''t go to the polls.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2008 12:58:21 PM
Author: luckystar112
The link doesn''t work, but I''m assuming you''re trying to link to the mp3 file about Obama voters in Harlem?

If so, I agree with you....Hilarious! And quite pathetic.

It''s not like they were tricked with hard questions either....to not even know who Obama''s running mate is, well, let''s just hope they don''t go to the polls.

There are plenty of people voting for McCain that wouldn''t know about his running mate either, I guarantee it.

There are a lot of stupid/ignorant people out there on BOTH sides!

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Agreed. I never said it was only one side.
If someone posts a thread on McCain supporters being uninformed like this, I''ll post the same response to be "fair".

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2008 1:54:22 PM

If someone posts a thread on McCain supporters being uninformed like this, I''ll post the same response to be ''fair''.

Fine with me, I don''t disagree that there are dumb Obama supporters too!

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock

If someone posts a thread on McCain supporters being uninformed like this, I''ll post the same response to be ''fair''.

Didn''t want to start a whole new thread, but...

Here''s one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRqcfqiXCX0

And:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itEucdhf4Us

Oh and one more:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjxzmaXAg9E

And another: Like to see someone from McCain''s camp responding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl2EndLZv7w

Can we please put some more money into education throughout this beautiful country. UGH.

MaggieB

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a working link in case anyone is interested. http://www.bpmdeejays.com/upload/hs_sal_in_Harlem_100108.mp3

I listened and wasn't that troubled by it. I guess I'm not that surprised that a candidate's supporters don't really know a lot about the issues. Most people vote their party line. Frankly I'm more bothered by the Republican running for VP who doesn't know the job as defined by the Constitution. If we aren't holding her to any standards, why hold the voters to any?

Furthermore, compared to the supporters at the McCain/Palin rallies, they were pretty tame. At least they didn't call McCain a racial slur, a terrorist, a God hater, or any of the other insults usually hurled Obama's way.

ETA: (Never done this before - hope I'm doing it correctly) My comment above is not in reference to the McCain supporters linked on prior post - referring to other threads. I posted before I saw Goobear's links.

luckylux

Rough_Rock
I listened to about one minute of the first link of GooBear''s and had to turn if OFF. Am I surprised that there are blacks voting for Obama b/c he is black? No. Am I surprised that there are people are inspired by and think Palin will make a great VP? Well, actually, yes I am. But since these McCain/Palin supporters don''t seem to care or understand that she is not qualified to be VP- and will vote for her anyway b/c she is good christian, then voters in Harlem can do their thing.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting the working link MaggieB!

And sadly, the links I posted above were ones where McCain supporters are calling Obama "a racial slur, a terrorist, a god hater," etc.

I think it comes down to education on both sides. It''s about the facts and sadly, a lot of people don''t pay attention to them.

Plus you got to think, it was three clips they picked out of how many people interviewed in Harlem? They didn''t play the ones where people caught on.

Same goes for the McCain supporters, I know not everyone attending McCain/Palin rallies believe that Obama is a terrorist or a Muslim. It''s so sad that anyone believes someone running for office and who is a public servant would be a terrorist. Just sad.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2008 2:30:40 PM
Author: goobear78

If someone posts a thread on McCain supporters being uninformed like this, I'll post the same response to be 'fair'.

Didn't want to start a whole new thread, but...

Here's one:

And:

Oh and one more:

And another: Like to see someone from McCain's camp responding.

Can we please put some more money into education throughout this beautiful country. UGH.

Hilarious! And quite pathetic.

Let's just hope they don't go to the polls.

21.gif

ETA: I can't actually hear the videos since I'm at school, but I've seen them before.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2008 3:01:07 PM
Date: 10/23/2008 2:30:40 PM

Author: goobear78

Didn''t want to start a whole new thread, but...

Here''s one:

And:

Oh and one more:

And another: Like to see someone from McCain''s camp responding.

Hilarious! And quite pathetic.

Let''s just hope they don''t go to the polls.

21.gif

ETA: I can''t actually hear the videos since I''m at school, but I''ve seen them before.

Lol Lucky!

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
The point is that I was responding to Oshinbreeze''s post, which was about Obama supporters in Harlem.
That doesn''t mean that I don''t think there are uninformed McCain supporters. I know there are. Actually, a McCain supporter is on the original recording, and they did the same thing (told him Obama''s policies), and that person got it wrong too. I don''t know....I guess I thought that would be a given that we''d all think it''s ridiculous.

MaggieB

Brilliant_Rock
You know what? The more I think about this, are we seriously criticizing black people because we think they are voting their race? I was in school in January with a black man in his mid-30s who voted for Hillary in the primary. I was like - are you KIDDING me? You are giving up the opportunity to support a man of your race?? He said he wouldn''t even bother getting behind him because there was no way a black man would ever be elected in this country. He wasn''t even bitter about it, just matter of fact. I wish I could talk to him now!

My seven year old son came home from school the other day and said, Mom, is it really true that NO brown people have ever been President? I said it was. He wanted to know why. YOU try explaining that to a seven year old.

I would bet that a lot of black people think that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for them. I know that I would.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2008 4:29:48 PM
Author: MaggieB
You know what? The more I think about this, are we seriously criticizing black people because we think they are voting their race? I was in school in January with a black man in his mid-30s who voted for Hillary in the primary. I was like - are you KIDDING me? You are giving up the opportunity to support a man of your race?? He said he wouldn''t even bother getting behind him because there was no way a black man would ever be elected in this country. He wasn''t even bitter about it, just matter of fact. I wish I could talk to him now!

My seven year old son came home from school the other day and said, Mom, is it really true that NO brown people have ever been President? I said it was. He wanted to know why. YOU try explaining that to a seven year old.

I would bet that a lot of black people think that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for them. I know that I would.
I would too. (no...I don''t think Palin is a one-time opportunity for women...just in case anyone wants to go there!
1.gif
)

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
But that is a problem for me, why is it not ok then for white people to vote for McCain just because he is white? OH, no, then I would be racist. And by the same token, a black person voting for Barack just because he is black is not racist?????

MaggieB

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/23/2008 4:36:05 PM
Author: starsapphire
But that is a problem for me, why is it not ok then for white people to vote for McCain just because he is white? OH, no, then I would be racist. And by the same token, a black person voting for Barack just because he is black is not racist?????
There is a difference between a disenfranchised black voter starting to feel like they count in the politicial process because someone of their race reaches a position of power, and a person who needs their entire government to remain white.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
There''s a difference between "ok" and "understandable". White men have NEVER known a time when there wasn''t a white man on the ballot. EVER. Can you see the difference?

It was very hard for me during the DEM primaries because I so much wanted to see a woman become president. Never having had even the CHANCE to vote for a woman as a presidential nominee before -- so it was a BIG FREAKIN DEAL for me to vote for Obama instead.

I''d certainly find it "understandable" if other folks, in similar circumstances, chose differently. I don''t agree. But I understand.

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
I certainly understand wanting a person of your own race in the white house if you had been the minority for years and years. I just want people to vote for the person that is the best one to lead the country, whoever they think that is. I was also very disappointed when Hillary dropped (was forced out). I firmly believe she would be president if Barack was not on the scene. I believe she is not as far left as Barack. He is just seems a bit to left for me. I just wonder now, with Barack around, if he gets elected, and gets a 2nd term, will Hillary be too old in 8 years? Will there be a Republican backlash and after 8 years of Dems, we''ll go back to Repubs and Hillary will not have the chance ever again to be the first woman president??????

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock

Don''t you just love the innocence of our untainted youth? Your post reminded me of a time when my daughter and I were in the car at a stop light and a mob of anti-abortionists were picketing a building in a very angry way. My daughter asked me what all the yelling was about and the signs. I told her they were picketing. She asked me what picketing meant, so I told her. I thought I would be off the hook, but she was totally bright enough to pick up on the explanation I gave her for picketing to ask me what they were picketing. Dayum... Then I had to tell her "abortion". And of course, the next question was..."What''s abortion?" :::::heavy sigh::::::

By that time I just learned that I had to tell her because she had outgrown the phase where I could get away with this answer when she heard the term orgasm on t.v. "Mom! What''s an orgasm?" "Oh, honey, it''s kind of like a sneeze....."
41.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/23/2008 8:51:12 PM
He is just seems a bit to left for me.

Hillary's health plan was certainly more "left" than his! He is a moderate. If it hadn't been for John Edwards pushing them along, neither of them would have been even as far to the left as they became-which isn't very far! And Obama has shifted even farther towards the center-to my dismay-during the campaign.

Deborah
34.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/24/2008 6:43:52 AM
Author: AGBF

Date: 10/23/2008 8:51:12 PM
He is just seems a bit to left for me.

Hillary''s health plan was certainly more ''left'' than his! He is a moderate. If it hadn''t been for John Edwards pushing them along, neither of them would have been even as far to the left as they became-which isn''t very far! And Obama has shifted even farther towards the center-to my dismay-during the campaign.

Deborah
34.gif
Yes, what a lot of people, most of them the younger ones, don''t realize is just how far, over time, to the right the Republican party has managed to shift the entire national discourse. You would think they would be thrilled.... "Left" today is NOT "left" by previous generations'' standards. And then of course there are regional differences. My husband got a call one time (previous election cycle, not this one) where a pollster asked him if he considered himself a liberal. My husband, ever the hair-splitting, precision-minded history teacher, asked him back, "Do you mean liberal by Oklahoma standards or by national standards?" A friendly (seriously) discussion ensued concerning what liberal meant here versus what liberal meant nationally, or on the coasts, where this guy was calling from. And I have seen this happen here, for real, where a Democratic candidate and a Republican candidate would get into a "family values/God-off" in their ads. Virtually NO difference in their approach, and little in their positions. So, really, most Democrats here are like right-leaning centrists anywhere else...

luckylux

Rough_Rock

I am voting for Mr. Obama b/c he is the best candidate. I am voting for the democratic ticket b/c Obama/Biden are my choice, and simply put, as Mr. Powell and Adelman said, Palin is not VP let alone president material! The topic of discussion is that Harlem voters are voting b/c Obama is black and for only that reason. Just as there are people in parts of America voting for McCain/Palin b/c they will not vote for Obama. Some give the opinion that he is not christian or that he''s a terrorist, both FALSE. Some will not vote b/c he is black (the word one person used I won''t write here). I don''t think we here at PS are in that category. If you want to vote for McCain b/c he is white, that is entirely your perogative.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock

My little cousin, age 6, lives in Tennessee, where Harold Ford Jr. a very well spoken young black man almost won a hotly contested Sentate race (you might remember the racist ads put out against him, they went national). My cousins worked to fundraise for Ford, so my little cousin met him several times, and got to meet Obama recently at a rally. She now thinks that all political candidates are black men and pointed out that McCain looks like a Beluga whale. I''m not sure about THAT comparison, but it was pretty cool to think that in her short life things have changed so much that she could have that perception. Hopefully other young people of all colors are seeing the possibilities for themselves open up.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A funny thing happened the other day. My daughter who is in kindergarten is telling me that they are going to vote for the president at school. She then asks me who I am voting for, because she wants to vote for who I''m voting for. I say, well, do you know who I''m voting for? Doesn''t remember. I then ask her what the names of the candidates are, and she can''t tell me. Then she says, "Oh I know who you are voting for! You are voting for the brown man who says he''s going to stop the war!"
Kind of simplistic but sums it up.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results