shape
carat
color
clarity

Video about diamond appraisals at WCCO-TV

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
dang. slipped right under my nose... i usually watch cco and live in st. paul. didn''t catch it. at least it seems to be a good summary.

eek. just read THIS:

Use someone relatives or friends recommend. You can pick someone whose reputation you trust or someone you expect to buy jewelry from in the future.

that doesn''t seem like such good advice.

StonesThrow

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/8/2006 5:49:32 PM
Author: sylvesterii

Use someone relatives or friends recommend. You can pick someone whose reputation you trust or someone you expect to buy jewelry from in the future.

FYI:

Another Twin City resident here...I flipped a note to their newsroom mentioning that this may not be the best advice...

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/8/2006 5:12:55 PM
Author:Pricescope
Diamond Dilemma

Watch video
Great information! Thanks! Interesting to note that none of the appraisals included a picture. Also my stress level increases as I continue to see poorly documented and/or inadequate detailed appraisals. Pricescopers...if you think that inadequate
appraisals are not common place...think again...I see them on a regular basis. Most qualified appraisers do. It's not just prevalent in our industry...I recently had a friend
who is an oriental rug dealer complain about a very vague and poorly written appraisal (I saw it and it WAS awful). The client had a fire, all rugs were destroyed and
the replacement process will be a very difficult one....all because of a poorly documented appraisal.
38.gif

The reporter makes this statement on her blog:
What Your Jewelry Appraisal Should Include:
"When it comes to an actual appraisal it can be tough to know what kind of information you may need. According to all the experts in the jewelry industry I've spoken with, no agency has ever compiled a list of items that should be included."

I disagree....she couldn't have asked appraisal organization officers or Jewelers Mutual. Most provide this type of list.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This was my favorite bit of the written text

"This is an example of a good complete description: One ladies stamped 18K yellow gold Cathedral style ring measuring 3.0 mm wide at the top tapering to 1.7mm with a total ring weight of 2.17DWT. The sides of the ring are channel set with eight full cut diamonds totaling approximately .28ct., average Gemological Institute of America F-G color, VS2-SI1 clarity. The center of the ring has a four prong crown which is set with one Princess cut diamond weighing about .64"

Helloooo?
Where is the single most important info? The details of the center stone?
Color, clarity, dimensions, girdle thickness etc

And no mention of photo''s on appraisals?
I thought that wsd a given these days? We have been doing it for more than 15 years.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2006 5:57:51 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Helloooo?
Yeah...

There was another such news flash recently, that listed BN with 10,000 diamonds in stock (counting all on their virtual list perhaps) as opposed to a 'smaller selection' at other stores and what not.

Are these news reports 'sponsored' to promote weak standards ... or something
11.gif

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/9/2006 5:57:51 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
This was my favorite bit of the written text

''This is an example of a good complete description: One ladies stamped 18K yellow gold Cathedral style ring measuring 3.0 mm wide at the top tapering to 1.7mm with a total ring weight of 2.17DWT. The sides of the ring are channel set with eight full cut diamonds totaling approximately .28ct., average Gemological Institute of America F-G color, VS2-SI1 clarity. The center of the ring has a four prong crown which is set with one Princess cut diamond weighing about .64''

Helloooo?
Color, clarity, dimensions, girdle thickness etc

And no mention of photo''s on appraisals?
I thought that wsd a given these days? We have been doing it for more than 15 years.
Garry, one WOULD think that a photo would be a "given" these days, but it''s not. As the video showed, one store even typed their appraisal on a sales receipt sized form. Many appraisals are still hand written or boxes are checked off to describe a diamond and mounting. The jewelry firms that don''t offer appraisals as a full everyday service sometimes do not put much effort into their work and this hurts the consumer.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/8/2006 6:03:17 PM
Author: StonesThrow
Date: 2/8/2006 5:49:32 PM

Author: sylvesterii

FYI:

Another Twin City resident here...I flipped a note to their newsroom mentioning that this may not be the best advice...

good idea. I just did the same.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results