shape
carat
color
clarity

Victorian Brooch

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pieface

Shiny_Rock
Hiya,

Thought I would post up the diamond and sapphire brooch my girlfriend was given by her grandmother recently. Any thoughts as to it being OK to clean in an ultra-sonic cleaner?

There are 3 sapphires, 7 OEC cut diamonds and 12 smaller rose cut diamonds according to the appraiser. Stones range from VS to I2. Set in rose gold and sterling silver (do I need a special silver cleaning solution for the US?)

PC160018 paintnet.jpg

Pieface

Shiny_Rock
Wow these shots looked better when I took them...will have to try and do better as it is a pretty piece...

PC160019 paintnet.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a beautiful treasure. I would ask the appraiser how safe it is to clean; they should be able to tell you.

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
Very pretty!! I love all of the family heirloom pieces that are showing up lately - I''m so sentimental with things like this, it''s nice to know others really value these treasures from family as well.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous antique piece...I would definitely consult a professional as far as cleaning/ultrasonic use. My guess is that you shouldn''t leave it in the US for very long at all if you do decide to clean it yourself before taking it to an appraiser...don''t want to risk knocking any of those stones out of their settings. I wouldn''t use anything but non-amonia type cleaners for the time being until they are ok''d by your jeweler/appraiser. Thanks for sharing this beauty!

Pieface

Shiny_Rock
Glad you like it ladies. I''ll ring the appraiser and run my cleaning queries passed them.

I really like the older pieces Jypsie and so does my girl. She is very resistant to her mothers suggestion to remake the piece into a necklace or something. I think we may get a loop attached to the pin however so she can wear it as a pendant without really modifying the piece. As a brooch I don''t think it will get much wear if any as we don''t really go to anything requiring that standard of dress.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have quite a bit of antique pieces and I''d NEVER put any of them in an US cleaner, ever. Too much jostling and too much room for stones to come loose and fall out and get lost.

As for re-designing it, PLEASE DONT! It''s lovely and should really remain as is. You said she doesn''t go to fancy functions much but really, one could put two loops on the back to make it usable as both a pendant and a brooch and perhaps she''s wear it more as a necklace? You could really wear that quite alot and dress it down, IMO. Lovely!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/17/2007 2:17:54 AM
Author: surfgirl
I have quite a bit of antique pieces and I''d NEVER put any of them in an US cleaner, ever. Too much jostling and too much room for stones to come loose and fall out and get lost.

As for re-designing it, PLEASE DONT! It''s lovely and should really remain as is. You said she doesn''t go to fancy functions much but really, one could put two loops on the back to make it usable as both a pendant and a brooch and perhaps she''s wear it more as a necklace? You could really wear that quite alot and dress it down, IMO. Lovely!
ITA with everything surfgirl has stated above. Especially about not redesigning this piece...I love the idea of adding two loops on the back so it could be used as a pendant or a brooch. Even if it doesn''t get worn right this moment in her life as either, there might come a day when she''d have a need for one or both.

Hmmm...I can think of a few people, myself included, right here on PS who''d be willing to wear that stunner no matter what! LOL! It really is a gorgeous piece.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
NO to ultrasonics!A mild non-abrasive cleaning for this piece...PLEASE...dont redesign the piece...devalues the it big time...make sure the jeweler dosn''t solder on the loops...any permanent changes on antique pieces bring down value...when wearing as a pin put a piece of fabric behind your shirt or dress where the pin goes...it will give support to the pin and clothing and resist the fabric from pulling and creating holes...thanks for posting this beautiful pin!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a stunning treasure.
30.gif
30.gif
It''s just gorgeous and I agree that I would never put that in an US cleaner! I also agree with the two loops in the back so that it could still be worn as a broach. A few years from now when broaches are back being the rage she will appreciate that shen can wear it that way.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2007 10:36:14 AM
Author: jewelerman
NO to ultrasonics!A mild non-abrasive cleaning for this piece...PLEASE...dont redesign the piece...devalues the it big time...make sure the jeweler dosn''t solder on the loops...any permanent changes on antique pieces bring down value...when wearing as a pin put a piece of fabric behind your shirt or dress where the pin goes...it will give support to the pin and clothing and resist the fabric from pulling and creating holes...thanks for posting this beautiful pin!
I have Deco brooch with two small loops on the back for a necklace, which is how I wear it. I think it''s better to do that, than never wear it because it''s a brooch and people dont wear brooches so much anymore.

That said, you might be able to use the brooch clasp and wind a sapphire blue satin or velvet ribbon around it and wear it on that? Just a thought...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pie,
That is a fantastic heirloom. I would take any opportunity to wear that brooch as much as I can. As an old piece, I''d be very cautious about cleaning it in an ultrasonic without having an expert look at it first. Jewelerman brings up a good point about the addition of loops bringing the value of the piece down so it is something to consider. On the flip side, adding the loops will probably mean your friend will be able to wear it more often as a pendant.

Pieface

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the input guys. The appraiser has told me not to risk the US so you are all on the right track there!

I can''t see why my girl will redesign the piece she loves that she has a bit of family history to keep as we don''t really do family trees etc.

Jewlerman, is there some way of securing a sturdy enough loop to trust without soldering?

Cheers,
Pieguy
1.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Surfgirl,
The way my post reads it seems as if i disagree with you about putting on the loops all together...I agree that the pin would look very nice as a pendant and loops would create a way to convert the pin so it can be worn rather then setting in a jewel box gathering dust.I am suggesting that the loops be put on in a way that they are not permanent and can be taken off without leaving soulder marks or scars.The jeweler may be able to add jump rings to the back of the pin so Pieface can thread a chain through them.If we can see a back photo of the pin maybe the forum can find ways of accomplishing this!It really is a beautiful pin that should be worn often and enjoyed"

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pieface, come back and post a pic of her wearing it please. Those sapphires are so yummy!

Pieface

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/19/2007 2:33:07 PM
Author: Skippy123
Pieface, come back and post a pic of her wearing it please. Those sapphires are so yummy!

It will have to be after christmas sometime...maybe mid January but the upside is I should be able to post hand shots of her ER too
31.gif

I will get her to look at the jump-ring solution too. She has heaps of that stuff around as she does bead jewellery making. I agree that the less alteration that is made to the piece the better. It''s a shame I have to stick to gemstones here she has a great sterling silver and lampwork bead bracelet that I''m sure you guys would like.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Oh, what a beaut! I love sentimental pieces like this - they''re priceless!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results