shape
carat
color
clarity

Very new here, Don''t flame me!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Daddywags

Rough_Rock
Hopefully this image will load of the EGL cert of the diamond I am considering buying. Please let me know what else you need to give me an honest opinion. Should I run now?? haha. They guy is asking $4850. Seems to good to be true. He claims it is not enhanced. I read some of the FAQ''a here on this site. I really didnt want to get a Phd in diamonds, just wanted a nice sparkly one that was eye clean.

Can you help?

Daddywags1.JPG

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2007 1:08:56 PM
Author:Daddywags
Hopefully this image will load of the EGL cert of the diamond I am considering buying. Please let me know what else you need to give me an honest opinion. Should I run now?? haha. They guy is asking $4850. Seems to good to be true. He claims it is not enhanced. I read some of the FAQ'a here on this site. I really didnt want to get a Phd in diamonds, just wanted a nice sparkly one that was eye clean.

Can you help?
You've already correctly deemed that this isn't a good buy.

Follow your instincts and find another option.

Daddywags

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks for that quick reply and for not flaming me. Did you answer this way because of the price or was there something obvious in the cert?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EGL Europe isn''t a very accurate cert, plus it doesn''t have enough cut information like the crown and pavilion angles.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Why would you assume people will "flame you"...???

Daddywags

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/20/2007 1:22:33 PM
Author: surfgirl
Why would you assume people will ''flame you''...???
There is so much information in these forums, just figured you guys and gals would be tired of questions with not enough information, such as mine.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2007 1:22:33 PM
Author: surfgirl
Why would you assume people will 'flame you'...???
This was my first thought too, it makes me not want to answer the question actually due to the assumption that a newbie asking a Q would be attacked.

I'd pass on an EGL graded stone in general, but that's just me. A 1.5c I SI for $4850? Seriously what is wrong with it? You can do price comparisons up above, a well cut 1.5c I SI that is not clarity enhanced would be WAY more. Definitely more like double.

Also if a deal seems too good to be true when it comes to diamonds, it probably is.

Daddywags

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/20/2007 1:18:38 PM
Author: Chrono
EGL Europe isn''t a very accurate cert, plus it doesn''t have enough cut information like the crown and pavilion angles.
Chrono, I noticed there is EGL Europe and EGL US. Thanks. I will try to get those angles and post them. Can you give me a list of other things I should ask? It''s an internet purchase so I can''t view the diamond. The seller does seem to have a very liberal return policy.

Thanks again,
Daddywags

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2007 1:33:37 PM
Author: Daddywags

Chrono, I noticed there is EGL Europe and EGL US. Thanks. I will try to get those angles and post them. Can you give me a list of other things I should ask? It''s an internet purchase so I can''t view the diamond. The seller does seem to have a very liberal return policy.

Thanks again,

Daddywags

If you''re buying sight unseen, stick with stones that are certified by AGS or GIA, preferably, GIA ex/ex and AGS000 stones. Most of the vendors here will have stones in their personal inventory and provide all the info you could want or need for buying over the net, sight unseen.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2007 3:09:26 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 11/20/2007 1:33:37 PM
Author: Daddywags

Thanks again,

Daddywags

If you''re buying sight unseen, stick with stones that are certified by AGS or GIA, preferably, GIA ex/ex and AGS000 stones. Most of the vendors here will have stones in their personal inventory and provide all the info you could want or need for buying over the net, sight unseen.
Ditto.
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thritto MrsSalvo and Kaleigh, follow that advice and finding a beautiful diamond will be far easier. The vendors here are experts and will be able to advise you every step of the way, their experience and knowledge is there for you! To get that size diamond with an AGS or GIA report will mean that you will have to spend considerably more money, or go lighter on the carat weight though.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
A 1.52 ct ideal cut I-SI1 for $4850?

Yeah, and you should see this trout I caught and released last week. 30 lbs if he was an ounce.

phiberoptik

Rough_Rock
I think the reason Daddywags was afraid of being flamed is because most forums out there tend to have a more hostile environment to them where the highly educated or just plain "know-it-alls" tend to belittle questions they find obvious to them or "newbie" questions. I know I have been very surprised at the level of respect and patience most of the members on here have, including the long standing and knowledgeable folks.

But just my uneducated opinion... what seems too good to be true... always is, unless its the love of your life!! (my girlfriend would love to read that!)

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
I would say steer clear. Look with some PS trusted vendors. We all love to help find *the* stone, if you care to share your search criteria I know you will find help. As previous posters have stated, the crowd here IS very helpful and kind. I'm still by NO means super knowledgable, but I sure have gained a lot of info from the wonderful people here!
4.gif

ETA: Too good to be true is certainly always of concern, but I wanted to add that I found pretty close to that with the help of the world of info here on PS--a real ideal cut 1.59 J SI2 AGS000 for about $6800.
36.gif
Obviously J SI2 is not for everyone, but an EGL I SI1 could easily be a J SI2 in reality.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results