shape
carat
color
clarity

Vent-Stuck between hypersensitive friends

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Sorry in advance for the length of this vent!

I have two female friends, A and B, both in their 40''s. A is the first friend I made after moving here 8 years ago. We carpool together, used to be roommates, and she introduced me to DH. She''s single, and has mild alcohol and definite self-esteem issues, all of which feed into this scenario. She is sometimes tactless and blunt, and often hypersensitive. Passive-aggressive, too. She often annoys me inadvertently, but it''s not the kind of friendship I can just drop, there''s too much history. She needs therapy big-time but always has an excuse not to do it.

We''ve both been friends with B and her husband for years now too. B is *also* often tactless and blunt, as well as oversensitive. Do you see where this is going? We all hang out a couple times a month. Usually, there is some "small" incident that blows up between A and B. For instance, we spent the 4th at B''s apartment. It''s the kind of situation where they were going to invite us anyway, but A preempted that by talking to B''s husband last month and inviting herself (and us) over. That rankled B on principle, and on top of that there were little tussles about who was bringing what food, and various other stupid things that piled up. So they basically spent the evening making little jabs at each other. For instance, A in her typical casual manner asked for something, and B followed up with "Please?" A got pissed and sulked, until the opportunity came to blow up at something ELSE. Their dynamic alternates weirdly between sisterly and mother/daughter-like antagonism.

Since both my DH and B''s DH essentially either sit back and laugh or ignore the situation, I end up feeling like I should mediate. Usually I just try to lighten the mood, since there''s not much else to do. I see B less, so I hear less of her venting about it. Mostly, I have to listen to A''s griping when we drive to work and try to sympathize (it''s hard, when she brings so much of it on herself). I can very clearly see when each of their particular personality quirks are starting to bug the other, but I don''t feel like it should be my job to always intervene so I try to stay detached. They are both at least 10 years older than me, for crying out loud.

I guess I don''t really have a question. It''s sort of like dealing with family, you can''t really avoid it even though it''s like oil and water. You just have to limit the amount of interaction, which happens more or less naturally in our cases, since we mainly get together only for special occasions due to work schedules. It''s just that I don''t feel like getting together at ALL with any of them, even though we do have fun sometimes. I''m also afraid that I''m just going to blow up at one or both of them one of these days. Frustrating.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow-they sound like middle school children! If it was me, I''d call both of them out on their ridiculous behavior when it happens...but that''s just me! I can''t really keep quiet about stuff like that. Yikes!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Maybe you do have to blow up at them in order for them to stop. It''s never pleasant, because they will want you to take sides, instead of just releasing their anger at each other.

What do you think makes them do this? I don''t know how you stay quiet about it. I can''t deny being angry, otherwise it just manifests itself in appropriate and indirect ways that would make me seem more insane than if I was just honest and released my anger. Otherwise you get stuck in their resentments toward each other.

I think it''s unhealthy to deny the havoc they put on you.

If you came right out and told both of them that their behavior is making you uncomfortable and that they need to duke it out...maybe they will. Then you should charge them for their therapy.
2.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/6/2008 8:50:36 PM
Author: miraclesrule
Maybe you do have to blow up at them in order for them to stop. It's never pleasant, because they will want you to take sides, instead of just releasing their anger at each other.

What do you think makes them do this? I don't know how you stay quiet about it. I can't deny being angry, otherwise it just manifests itself in appropriate and indirect ways that would make me seem more insane than if I was just honest and released my anger. Otherwise you get stuck in their resentments toward each other.

I think it's unhealthy to deny the havoc they put on you.

If you came right out and told both of them that their behavior is making you uncomfortable and that they need to duke it out...maybe they will. Then you should charge them for their therapy.
2.gif
Well, they are both very strong willed and opinionated (so am I! Just more diplomatic, usually) and they sort of push each other's buttons in a way that reminds them of their mothers, if that makes sense. Neither one can stand it when they perceive they are being told what to do, patronized, etc., and yet they both do it to other people. "A" gets especially touchy (and this goes for both other friends and at work) when she thinks people are looking down on her in some way, so any hint that you think she's doing something wrong and she goes on the defensive. As for B, she's a tough cookie, has a tough job where she's literally the ONLY woman in her field in the area, and often feels like she's got to prove herself to someone or assert her control. Not the kind of person I can just say "Stop being ridiculous!" to. Also, they happen to both be AWARE of their issues in regard to each other, and do try to work on them to some extent. Neither one is quite *that* emotionally crippled.

As for me, I'm naturally reserved and cautious, and grew up with parents who were continually arguing over unreasonable s***, and my tendency is ALWAYS to either mediate or ignore, if possible. I can usually see both sides in any argument, and can come up with logical solutions to issues, but when it comes to this kind of emotional conflict between others it never seems there's a good solution. I think that this is one of those situations where they know it's unhealthy and uncomfortable, and know that they need to work it out between them, but they just don't.
15.gif
I think that if I were to suddenly lay down the gauntlet while they are in the midst of the tension, it would do nothing but worsen the situation (trust me, I tried with my own parents). So, I don't think suddenly deciding to play Jerry Springer would really work. The thing about both of them is that they are also very loyal, loving, and would do anything for their friends. Otherwise, I definitely would have walked away a long time ago.

Eh. I wish they were guys so they could just get into a fist fight and get over it! But then, guys don't do this pass-aggro crap to each other in the first place.
9.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Frustrating you say? You''re not kidding!
28.gif
I feel for you. We have a similar situation with MIL as we never know what she''ll say or who she will offend. We have simply drawn the line and she cannot come over if we have friends here. She''s ok with my family because she knows them well and they just know to ignore her if she starts on a tangent. She once told my sister, who is a HUGE believer in private schooling, that private schools were for public school rejects! OY!!! I digress...My advice to you would be to try not to get yourself in a dither about it. You cannot change either of these women. Let them know politely that you will not be involved in or around any of their high school behavior. I''m sure they are both lovely women...Apart. I would talk to them when they are not riled up and explain that this type of behavior is really bothering you and until they can stop you will not be with both of them at the same time.

I have to ask. Why would they be in the same room if they cannot even get along?

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I imagine that their situation is a lot like a long time friend of mine. We really do behave more like sisters than friends at times. We are in the "not really feeling the love" mode right now. Well, I am more in that mode, because I have little patience for people who can''t look their own demons in the face and own. We all have them, so why deny the obvious? That''s my philosophy.

It is maddening with passive-aggressive friends though. ::::shrugs:::::

There isn''t a lot you can do about it. But if you have a long commute to work...eesh, I would have to give *A* the hand if she wanted to spend everyday, the entire commute, dissing *B*. I would say something like "I love that you trust me enough to vent, but I am never making out with either of you, so stop trying to get me to hate her".
31.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know they are unlikely to change, but can you take both of them to lunch and nicely, calmly, but FIRMLY, explain that this dynamic is causing a strain on you and is becoming untenable? I mean, doubt they will look at you and say, Selkie, wow, you are so right and here is how we will address it, BUT, saying nothing will certainly not be a solution either. And you are right. They are so ingrained with this crap that YOU will be the one to blow one day, when you finally cannot take anymore.

It is not fool proof or even guaranteed to work in any way, but honestly, it sounds excruciating to deal with. Also, if you are calm and kind in your words, and really show them the issues and that you are trying to help them, it would seem to make the most sense...hopefully they can hear you, but few people can take feedback that is less than glowing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results