color
clarity

Vendor said i'm "out of whack"

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1428782182|3860486 said:
Hmmmm.

McGinnis - I LOVE the diamond you bought. I have some of everything - super ideal cut H&A's, old cuts, AVR's - and so on and so on. But I gotta tell you, I love a 60/60 (or in your case 61/59) cut diamond as much of any of them, and if you want the economy of a J colored stone, but the whiteness of something higher up the chain, a shallower cut stone can often be a great find.

I like the ASET. I LOVE the spread. And I really like the facet pattern. The flecks of blue don't worry me at all and there's clearly 'red' that runs all the way to the center. I also prefer the star pattern which sits at the very center, rather than the nondelineated patch of 'green' which often forms a discrete circle in the middle of a lot of diamonds. I think the sparkle would be fab, and unless your girl is after a very rarified standard of cut, the stone you've bought should tickle her fancy no end!

I'd stay where you are - I think it's a lovely stone. Are there some better cut? Sure. There always are. But it's a very nice stone, you've said it sparkles a LOT, and I'm guessing she'll love it.

Good luck!

Oh mrs-blop, i'm relieved to hear its not all bad. Its definitely a LOT whiter than other J's i've seen in stores which makes me wary of going with something with a smaller table/no to little flour. I want all the help I can get for that J color ;))
I'm torn between mine and 2 as well but i'd hate to lose all that red on the outer perimeter by picking 2. :wall:

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1428701230|3860079 said:
Here's what I'd suggest:
Go look at some diamonds in stores near you- are you in an area with jewelry stores?

it's quite likely that the stone you already have will be nicer than many/most you see.
You placed an emphasis on getting the largest stone- and I totally agree that many buyers feel that's a good choice.
"Cut is king" is a great mantra, but no kingdom operates without plenty of other elements.
Sometimes getting a slightly "lesser" cut ( according to PS standards) with larger spread is the best option.

Rockdiamond, I've seen some stones before I purchased this one but not after. Would it be rude to walk into an establishment just to compare stones?

Reading your comment, I feel you really understand what I mean. I want the best cut for the money, the most white for my J, and the most spread for"best cut". If the difference is really going to be minute between these 4, I just need someone to slap me with that fact. :lol:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
SLAP!!!
No, it is not rude to bring your diamond into a store to check. They will probably be very glad for the opportunity to show you their wares – at least they will if they are smart.
But let's go back to the slap – you may not see big differences, and your diamond may be nicer than the ones they show you. It probably will be.
All due respect to people who are knocking your stone on this thread, but they have not seen it in person and you have

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1428849405|3860809 said:
SLAP!!!
No, it is not rude to bring your diamond into a store to check. They will probably be very glad for the opportunity to show you their wares – at least they will if they are smart.
But let's go back to the slap – you may not see big differences, and your diamond may be nicer than the ones they show you. It probably will be.
All due respect to people who are knocking your stone on this thread, but they have not seen it in person and you have

Thanks for the slap Rockdiamond along with the needed bowl of perspective. I will definitely be taking my stone in on my next trip to the jewelry store if I decided to at all.
Then I can be on my way to setting it and hopefully my next thread will be of the rig on her hand!

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
McGinnis|1428924381|3861161 said:
SLAP!!!

Thanks for the slap Rockdiamond along with the needed bowl of perspective. I will definitely be taking my stone in on my next trip to the jewelry store if I decided to at all.
Then I can be on my way to setting it and hopefully my next thread will be of the rig on her hand!

Just make sure your stone is nice and clean when comparing it to others. I'm sure you've been handling it quite a bit and a little bit of oil and dirt will make a big difference.

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
pfunk|1428929687|3861181 said:
McGinnis|1428924381|3861161 said:
SLAP!!!

Just make sure your stone is nice and clean when comparing it to others. I'm sure you've been handling it quite a bit and a little bit of oil and dirt will make a big difference.

Funny that you mention that! I went to go see the stone in the sun for the last time and was devastated that it did poorly compared to one of her CZ pendants...that is until I remembered to clean it! The only thingI had at the time was he cleaning cloth for my sunglasses but what a world of difference it made!

I'm still on the brink of returning though. That HCA of vg/vg/vg/ex is bothering me knowing that the other three stones all have 3x/vg :loopy:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
McGinnis
STEP BACK FROM THE LEDGE!!!

Seriously- if you are concerned about differences in Polish Symmetry between GIA graded VG, and EX, without a loupe, it's not humanly possible to see those differences in the vast majority of cases.
If it's HCA grading- the tool has it's uses for sure- but if it's used incorrectly it is more of a hindrance than a tool.
Any score below 2 "passes" HCA. 1.2 is not better than a 1.8
There's have been tons of cases with stones scoring way higher that are still winners.
But you have no consideration in that regard.

By all means return the diamond if you must after all this....but that would be a perfect example of TMI doing a disservice to a consumer- that being you.

This isn't about a rude vendor- we all agree that was out of line.
But returning the stone is a hassle for you.

Doing so because people who have not seen the stone telling you they'd reject it is a shame for you.

Maybe they can tell that they'd prefer another stone over yours with the info provided- but even if they can, that does not mean you will see things the same.
Based on the numbers, many knowledgeable people would like your stone a lot.

Truth is, if you can't shake off all that's been said, maybe you should go through with a return
At the end of the day, I strongly believe that the best return on investment of diamond ownership is enjoyment.
I hope you can love your diamond after all this.

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1428967208|3861481 said:
McGinnis
STEP BACK FROM THE LEDGE!!!

Seriously- if you are concerned about differences in Polish Symmetry between GIA graded VG, and EX, without a loupe, it's not humanly possible to see those differences in the vast majority of cases.
If it's HCA grading- the tool has it's uses for sure- but if it's used incorrectly it is more of a hindrance than a tool.
Any score below 2 "passes" HCA. 1.2 is not better than a 1.8
There's have been tons of cases with stones scoring way higher that are still winners.
But you have no consideration in that regard.

By all means return the diamond if you must after all this....but that would be a perfect example of TMI doing a disservice to a consumer- that being you.

This isn't about a rude vendor- we all agree that was out of line.
But returning the stone is a hassle for you.

Doing so because people who have not seen the stone telling you they'd reject it is a shame for you.

Maybe they can tell that they'd prefer another stone over yours with the info provided- but even if they can, that does not mean you will see things the same.
Based on the numbers, many knowledgeable people would like your stone a lot.

Truth is, if you can't shake off all that's been said, maybe you should go through with a return
At the end of the day, I strongly believe that the best return on investment of diamond ownership is enjoyment.
I hope you can love your diamond after all this.

:lol:
Were you watching me? I JUST opened the website to look at the stones
You are like an angel on my shoulder
To be perfectly honest, number 2 has the "fat arrows" that look so amazing but i'm deterred by the green patches on the outer edges.
My current stone has a tinge of brown that's apparent in some lighting. I'm hoping the setting will hide most of the sides.
:???:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results