clarity

Vendor pictures and owner pictures of PS stones

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Round, Gray, Barry, 7mm, 1.60cts, Tunduru

spinel gray round collage.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Gary Braun (Finewater) blue-green tourmaline. 0.44 ct. 4.8 mm. This one is VERY close to the vendor pic. A little darker I think than the picture but hard to notice. I love this stone.

BEGGBBlueTourmalineCollage.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Gary Braun (Finewater) blue-purple sapphire. 0.40 ct. 4.3 mm. Tiny little guy but he sure sparkles. In sunlight it is INCREDIBLY blue - just like the picture. It has a definite shift to purple indoors which can''t be seen from the vendor pic, but it''s pretty awesome

BEGGBSapphireCollage.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Jeff White morganite. 4.33 ct. 9.6 mm. Vendor pic to the right. This one is definitely pinker in real life than in the vendor picture, which I''m really happy with.

BEGJWMorganiteCollage.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 5:04:25 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Date: 3/9/2009 4:58:50 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Date: 3/9/2009 4:56:48 PM
Author: Jelly
Wow...those Dan Stair pics are definitely much lighter in the vendor pics than in person. Beautiful (of course) but did you feel mislead when you opened the package?
Actually, yes. The amethyst I just posted was NOT what I expected at all. I wanted a light purple, and that''s not what I got. Therefore I don''t have plans to get this set, and don''t really know what I''m going to do with it....
Why didn''t you return it?

The customgems (stair) pics really seem a LOT lighter than the real thing. Not sure I could buy from them for that reason...doesn''t seem representative at ALL.
Well. It was only my second gemstone purchase. Because of my inexperience, I did not want to return the first stone I ever bought from Dan, AND its not a bad stone--it''s actually beautiful, just not what I wanted originally. I''m hoping that it will eventually go to a better home.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Jeff White pink tourmaline. 2.05 ct. 7.9 mm. This one is really different from the vendor pic. I''ve never been able to capture the same pink that''s in the vendor pic to the right. It''s much darker, although in bright direct light gives off great flashes. Under my daylight lamp, I''ve seen it be a bright hot dark pink, which is gorgeous, but still darker than the vendor picture

BEGJWPinkTourmCollage.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Barion Spinel .54 Cts. Dan Stair, Cut Cornered Barion Square, 4.60 mm, Tanzania, Light Purplish Blue, Very Good+ (Eye Clean), A very brilliant stone with a pleasing light purplish blue or "periwinkle" color.

Periwinkle spinel collage.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 5:09:00 PM
Date: 3/9/2009 5:04:25 PM

Author: TravelingGal

Date: 3/9/2009 4:58:50 PM

Date: 3/9/2009 4:56:48 PM

Author: Jelly

Wow...those Dan Stair pics are definitely much lighter in the vendor pics than in person. Beautiful (of course) but did you feel mislead when you opened the package?

Actually, yes. The amethyst I just posted was NOT what I expected at all. I wanted a light purple, and that''s not what I got. Therefore I don''t have plans to get this set, and don''t really know what I''m going to do with it....
Why didn''t you return it?

The customgems (stair) pics really seem a LOT lighter than the real thing. Not sure I could buy from them for that reason...doesn''t seem representative at ALL.

Well. It was only my second gemstone purchase. Because of my inexperience, I did not want to return the first stone I ever bought from Dan, AND its not a bad stone--it''s actually beautiful, just not what I wanted originally. I''m hoping that it will eventually go to a better home.

Pretty similar reasoning on my part for why I didn''t return the sapphire. I was still really new at buying, plus it was the second stone I had gotten from Dan, and he discounted it since it had been up for awhile.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
JW blue-green tourmaline. 1.43 ct. 6.6 mm. One of my top three favorite stones. This one is very true to the vendor pic (to the right) although in direct sunlight it''s less green and more blue. More green indoors however.

BEGJWTourmalineCollage.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cushion, Tourmaline, 1.9cts, Barry 7.5mm, Colorless only a hint of very light peach

tourmaline cushion collage.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Richard Homer concave cut sapphire. Cushion cut, 1.21 ct. My first gemstone purchase! This one is pretty close to the photo, although it shows a little more green dichroism in certain lighting conditions.

BEGRHSapphireCollage.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Here''s my malaya garnet from John B at Gemrite. Vendor pics are on top row and mine are on the bottom.

malaya garnet montage02.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have another spinel that was very close to the vendor picture, and I actually gasped at the beauty of the stone when I opened the package. However, I didn''t save the photo from Dan, so I can''t post it. I actually have several other stones that I''ve bought from Barry and Dan (and a couple of other vendors), but don''t have the vendor pics.

I would say that Barry''s pictures are very close to what the stones looks like in real life. Often Dan''s pictures can be more accurate when the stone is seen in very strong direct light(for example, my periwinkle spinel), but more often, his stones are much darker than what they look like in real life. So it''s often a gamble, but thats why he puts on his site that you should put more weight into his written description of the stones instead of the pictures.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kismet! So you''re the one who bought that off Gemline, haha, should have known a demantoid lover like you might be familiar with them :)

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
So I'm not an expert at combining pics. But here goes: (apologies if it turns out to be ginormous!)

2.07 unheated sapphire recut by Jeff White.

JW pic on left
WF pic in middle (the stone was shipped from JeffWhite to Whiteflash - they did the setting but photographed it first)
My pic on the right

LS

ETA: yikes. I thought I had sized it down small enough! Sorry!
ETA#2: the pic on the right was taken in the rain: those are raindrops, not scratches!
9.gif

Foo171.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a montage I prepared of my Tourmaline cut by Peter Toracca. It''s quite a strange combination of colours to pin down. Peter''s shot taken on the back of his fingers is probably the closest to it, although it does show quite peachy after 4:30pm!

PT tourmaline montage.jpg

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Aquamarine cut by Gene at Precision Gem

aquaasscher111333444.jpg

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Oregon Sunstone cut by Dan the Man

sunstone455iiisan.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Coati - how do you collage your pics like that AND label them? I do mine in CorelDraw and it's a pain in the butt + they're always too big....
LS

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 9:03:06 PM
Author: LostSapphire
Coati - how do you collage your pics like that AND label them? I do mine in CorelDraw and it''s a pain in the butt + they''re always too big....

LS

LS--your pics look great! I just use adobe photoshop. I use the type tool and then I just add some space to the image and cut and paste in the other one. I''m a caveman at photoshop!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 9:07:23 PM
Author: coatimundi

Date: 3/9/2009 9:03:06 PM
Author: LostSapphire
Coati - how do you collage your pics like that AND label them? I do mine in CorelDraw and it''s a pain in the butt + they''re always too big....

LS

LS--your pics look great! I just use adobe photoshop. I use the type tool and then I just add some space to the image and cut and paste in the other one. I''m a caveman at photoshop!
Thanks Coats. I don''t have Photoshop
8.gif
but I own Corel so use that instead. I just thought everybody was using Paint and I can never get that to do anything decent for me...

So I''ll stick with what I''ve got I guess!

Love your pics though!

LS

(mini threadjack over....)

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for participating, this is really, really great! PS is awesome and your stones are beautiful.

LS- Your stone deserves big pictures! I do my collages in powerpoint and export them as .jpgs

Freke- which spinel are you missing? I have a bunch of vendor pics for stones I don't own.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 9:19:34 PM
Author: mercoledi
Thank you everyone for participating, this is really, really great! PS is awesome and your stones are beautiful.

LS- Your stone deserves big pictures! I do my collages in powerpoint and export them as .jpgs

Freke- which spinel are you missing? I have a bunch of vendor pics for stones I don''t own.
WHOA!!!

thanks Mercoledi! THAT''s easy peasy. Beats loading up CorelDraw and running through their export protocols!

I''ll give it a shot and post again.
LS

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m boring, I just use paintbrush to do collages. It''s in the Window''s accessories. Cutting, pasting, and stretching, skewing (to shrink photos).

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
OK Mercoledi: test driving my new way of doing a photocollage! (HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS A CLOSET POWERPOINT JUNKIE - but I NEVER thought of doing it that way!)

It's not fancy ie: no cute overlaps but I just want to see if this works. It was a lot easier!

Thanks for the tutorial.

LS

ETA: WOOOHOOOO!!!!

Foo173.jpg

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I hope this doesn''t post too large. A garnet and tourmaline from Jeff White. They are pretty much just like the photos in real life.

tn_Slide1.JPG

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 9:40:11 PM
Author: cinnamon013
I hope this doesn''t post too large. A garnet and tourmaline from Jeff White. They are pretty much just like the photos in real life.
Hi Cinnamon

That tourmaline pic is messed up on the JW website as well.....maybe he can send you a non-pixelated one? I''d LOVE to see it!
LS

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay this seals it.

I MUST have a spinel. MUST.

This is a brilliant thread by the way, great idea, very informative. Carry on!
35.gif
9.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Love this thread!! I wish I can join but I''m having a awful time trying to get the pictures up!
14.gif

So I''ll just enjoy all the beautiful post!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 9:19:34 PM
Author: mercoledi
Freke- which spinel are you missing? I have a bunch of vendor pics for stones I don't own.

~Round, Pink spinel, Dan Stair, 1.1cts, 6.12mm
~Round Tourmaline, Barry, Namibian, .97 ct.
~Supernova Oval, silver topaz, Barry, 7.41cts, 10.2 x 12.2

~Supernova Oval, white topaz, Barry, 4.45cts, 10 x 8.3--A vendor pic of this doesn't exist I'm afraid...He cut it custom for me, and since it was a copy of the bigger one, I didn't even ask for one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results