shape
carat
color
clarity

Vatche X-prong: plain, channel or pave??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
I am going to the Solomon Brothers today and hopefully they will have all three settings to try on. I have not seen these in person, but I love the X-prong trellis look and have a similar one by another designer in my top slot at the moment. What are your thoughts on a plain shank vs. the channel set shank vs the pave shank?

And with your preference, what style WB would you wear??? I am torn btwn a simple platinum band and getting an eternity band down the road, or having an eternity band and a weddng ring...

..but first things first, let''s look at the Vatche e-ring
30.gif

v comfort.gif

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the channel set

v channel.jpg

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
and the pave setting

v pave.jpg

wen104

Shiny_Rock
I love the plain but am plain and I love the pave but you don''t have as many options with bands really to go with that one. The plain one you can put pretty much any band with. You can have plain band or add eternity and diamond bands to give it more dress. Or even then you can wear a eternity, band, and the diamond with the plain one altogether. I have a plain catherdral set diamond and was wearing it with a fairly plain band. My husband purchased me 2 sapphie and diamond shared prong half eternity bands for each side for Christmas (got them early and still smiling) and everyone thought I got a new ring all together. It is so beautiful. I will post a picture soon when I get one that isn''t blurry! It is amazing how you can change the style with out having to reset it or upgrade. Good luck it is a hard decision!

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
I have the plain in platinum. the polish is VERY good. I''ve had my ring since May and it hasn''t dulled at all yet. Love it. I think for a wedding band i''m going with a plain as well, down the line i''d like to get a thin pave band to stack w/ it.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d go with the plain for the most flexibility. Then I''d probably go for the eternity band first (love the bling!), and a plain band second (it won''t be as expensive). Good luck!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i just saw a few vatche settings this past weekend. i much prefered the plain over the one''s with sidestones or pave.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I have the plain and love it. I chose it b/c I can be fickle and I knew I would not get tired of plain. I have a 3mm band from e-weddingbands.com and it looks great with it. I also have the vatche curved band, which I would not recommend unless you plan to solder. I think a bold diamond band of about 3 mm would also be perfect with the plain vatche!! Oh, I also tried on a scattered diamond band which i liked a lot and which is definitely on my wish list!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Plain! Having just gotten Blue Nile''s version this morning, the plain e-ring setting is so much more versatile for any wedding band type. It makes the center stone POP and I think, look bigger!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
as someone biased towards pave...i actually like the plain better! the plat is super shiny. love it. the pave looks almost cocktail-y for some reason. and the plain you can always dress up and down with more sparkle!
30.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the plain setting best
1.gif

jfo

Brilliant_Rock
If it were me, I''d pick plain. I have an x-prong myself, and there was a time when I twiddled with the idea of channel set diamonds along the side (this was way before I was on PS and even knew that pave existed), and I''m so glad that we went with plain. It''s timeless and as other posters mentioned, you have so much variety as to what kind of wedding band or other fun stackable bands you want to wear with it!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for plain. I love the clean, elegant lines that let you focus on the diamond and the beautiful head, plus you have more options for wedding bands.

I like the X-prong with channel set princess stones for a center princess stone, but do not care for the channel set RBs (probably the gaps). I do not care for the pave "shoulder caps" on the pave version -- it does look "cocktailish" and it just not as flowing as the plain.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a pave nut but I really like the plain in this setting. I don''t love channel settings, they look too industrial for my taste.

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
tandogmom - which wedding band do you have from e-weddingbands? I was thinking of ordering mine from there, but wasn''t sure which one. I''m guessing the comfort fit would match best w/ the vatche?

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Plain all the way it is so fluid simple and elegant :)

mintve

Brilliant_Rock

So, I tried on all three this afternoon. The channel set was too bulky. The pave was pretty, but as you al mentioned, the plain shank was very clean and simple. I am putting this setting on my top list along with a Lieberfarb trellis setting with channel on the shank. I still love the lieberfarb one and wish I had a good photo. I tired to take a hand shot, but it it very fuzzy. Anyway, the cnanel set on the lieberfarb almost looks like pave and I really like the way it looks on my hand.

I like the idea of a very simple platinum wb. then down the road, stack it with an eternity band...i think...this is what I am leaning towards...so, if you have a simple band and a plain wb, is it too much metal? It was hard to get a good idea of the plain shank setting b/c they had to set a loose stone in the mounting. I did try on a lieberfarb trellis plain shanl setting with a plain band and thought it was too much metal.

It so hard. Part of me think i should tell my FF about my favorites and have him choose the ultimate setting....

LF hand 1.jpg

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Hi cdt,
I got the 3 mm comfort fit (not extra thick). It is a great match. I posted some pics recently in SMTR. My pics are not the best though. I think 3.5 mm would be the perfect match but they didn''t offer that and I like the 3mm very much. Ellen also has much better pics than mine of her x prong with 3.5 mm band (Stuller, I think.)

Date: 11/21/2007 9:05:37 PM
Author: cdt1101
tandogmom - which wedding band do you have from e-weddingbands? I was thinking of ordering mine from there, but wasn''t sure which one. I''m guessing the comfort fit would match best w/ the vatche?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Plain! It''s classic.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for plain! I love a plain plat. solitaire with a sparkly wedding band, hee hee!

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Monarch (because that''s what I have!). Mine is the Vatche Royal X-prong, plain, and I wear an 11 stone band of little 5 point diamonds. I really like the sparkly band next to the plain setting.

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a picture of mine - the solitaire is .75 with 60 points in the band.

ring 003 (2).jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2007 12:27:13 PM
Author: mrssalvo
i just saw a few vatche settings this past weekend. i much prefered the plain over the one''s with sidestones or pave.
Really? I am kinda surprised to hear this!

mintive, as to your question on whether the two plain rings are too much metal, only if you prefer thinner settings, which I assume you don''t since you are considering the X-Prong. I love a bit substantial look, and I got it with my set. Plus my fingers just plain look better with a thicker setting.

I haven''t seen the other two versions in real life, so I can''t comment on them, but I do love my plain one!

Here is my thread with both rings, and there are two different sets of pics.

HTH!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2007 7:42:26 AM
Author: Ellen

I was surprised too, but I think it''s b/c the vatche bands are thicker and the pave was regular pave and not micropave which is the style of pave that I really love. it was however still a beautiful ring. I didn''t see any 3-stone vatche''s, just the one''s with pave and channel set sides.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
wow, everyone really likes the plain band x prong. i wish i could see the vatche plain band x prong next to the lieberfarb channel set x prong. i am leaning toward the lieberfarb x prong w/ a simple wb, then a pave or eternity anniversary band one day...but we will see, by preference changes with the wind...

mintve

Brilliant_Rock

Date:
11/22/2007 7:42:26 AM
Author: Ellen

mintive, as to your question on whether the two plain rings are too much metal, only if you prefer thinner settings, which I assume you don''t since you are considering the X-Prong. I love a bit substantial look, and I got it with my set. Plus my fingers just plain look better with a thicker setting.

I haven''t seen the other two versions in real life, so I can''t comment on them, but I do love my plain one!

Here is my thread with both rings, and there are two different sets of pics.

HTH!
Thanks Ellen! Your ring is gorgeous! Did I read the thread right, is your stone a 1.4 carat? and you wear a 5 1/2???

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2007 12:22:14 PM
Author: mintve

Thanks Ellen! Your ring is gorgeous! Did I read the thread right, is your stone a 1.4 carat? and you wear a 5 1/2???
You''re welcome, and thanks!

Yes, that''s correct. Why do you ask like that? lol

april diamonds

Shiny_Rock
sorry I know I''m way late to the convo - but I vote for pave! (cause I have one!)

i actually feel like my ring is understand, and not that blingly at all. hmm maybe understanding is not the right word, but it''s certainly not SUPER blingy, but it''s definitly shiny. I much preferd it to the plain band. I actually thought the pave made the band look less thick. i think i am in the minority here though...and obviously biased ^_-

I am also though someone who is seriously considering a non-pave band to go with my pave ering though.

Both rings are gorgeous though!

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 10:14:29 AM
Author: April Diamonds
sorry I know I''m way late to the convo - but I vote for pave! (cause I have one!)

i actually feel like my ring is understand, and not that blingly at all. hmm maybe understanding is not the right word, but it''s certainly not SUPER blingy, but it''s definitly shiny. I much preferd it to the plain band. I actually thought the pave made the band look less thick. i think i am in the minority here though...and obviously biased ^_-

I am also though someone who is seriously considering a non-pave band to go with my pave ering though.

Both rings are gorgeous though!
yeah, the pave one was pretty too! and it looked nice w/ a plain or a pave wb!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results