shape
carat
color
clarity

Vacation to Washington DC in June

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock

With all the snow pics from DC - thought this might be a good time for suggestions from you folks. My wife, daughter and I are planning on going to Washington DC in June. We intend to spend from 3-5 days there. Suggestions are welcome for places to stay, things to do (best of best).

Not sure about lodging - but it was suggested to go to "The Burbs" for value. I am a Marriott’s rewards member and like to stay there when traveling. Looks like a nice Courtyard in Dunn Loring that is just outside DC and has access to the metro.

Of course it also looks like there are lots of package deals with tours from other sources.

Ideas?

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock

I haven''t stayed at many hotels in DC. Once I went to look at schools and stayed in Vienna (forgot what hotel) but we found it to be a little inconvenient. One time I ended up having to stay at the Embassy Suites in Chevy Chase and that was good...walking distance of restaurants, stores and metro right in the bldg, I think...plus that would give your daughter her own little area. A few times my mom would stay in Bethesda, just make sure it isn''t the medical center area that can be inconvenient. Ummm...the rest I''ve stayed at aren''t really what I''d consider for family vacations or the ones my dad likes aren''t really budget conscious since his company pays

1.gif
so that''s all the help I am. I like to reference Tripadvisor.com too. I was going to recommend the hotel my mom stayed at the last time May 04 she was there and was very happy with her stay, same hotel a lot of friends parents would stay at and even a lot of my friends would check into when they needed to get away from school or were recovering from illness/surgeries, which is the Wardman Park Marriott...very convenient location, but on Tripadvisor it got such mixed reviews I feel weird recommending it, maybe the staff has gone down hill since I''ve been out there.

As for things to do, as a tourist hit up all the museums, those are free, and you can easily fill up a lot of time with them! I think there is a Cezanne exhibit opening up at the Natl Gallery if you''re into the art stuff. Head up the monument, Mt. Vernon, tickets to a Nationals game... I think there are a few threads on DC so you may find some suggestions if you search

1.gif

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2006 1:01:58 PM
Author:Bertrand

Not sure about lodging - but it was suggested to go to ''The Burbs'' for value. I am a Marriott’s rewards member and like to stay there when traveling. Looks like a nice Courtyard in Dunn Loring that is just outside DC and has access to the metro.

Of course it also looks like there are lots of package deals with tours from other sources.

Ideas?

I know that CourtYard! My husband used to live near that and Dunn Loring was his metro. It''s brand new and is literally right across the street from the metro.

You could write your congress person and get a free tour of the Capitol, which is cool. Also, if it''s open to the public, the White House tour is free and interesting. I can''t remember if it''s currently only open to tour groups only or foreign tour groups- but I can find out. As Blue824 said, the Smithsonian Museums are all free and those are wonderful. One of them (Natural History?) has a jazz cafe thing one night. Also, the gelato at the art museums is really good, and I would imagine in June would be quite refreshing! Dupont Circle is a pretty interesting neighborhood, and has cool architecture. You could go to the National Zoo, but personally, I find it a bit depressing. Definitely go to Arlington Cemetery.

Have fun planning!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results