shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrade diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

miltonmaribel

Rough_Rock
I have a 0.51 carat round diamond, color is between G-H, clarity is VS1. I would like to upgrade this diamond to a 1.00 carat
keeping the same shape, color and clarity as the one that i have.
the appraisal that i have for the 0.51 carat is $2,199.00.
I went to the jewelry exchange in woodbridge,nj to a vendor called "CHIPPYS" he will only give me $1,000.00 for the old diamond.
The 1.00 carat with a color of J and a VS1 this has been certified by the EGL will cost me $3,350.00 (the $1,000.00 already taken out).
Is this a good price range?
Should I ask for a GIA certification instead of the EGL?
Any suggestions would be appreciated@!!!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Well, cut is a big factor, but I would say that would be a good price if it were before the trade-in, but not afterward. The trade-in value sounds fair, but it's all relative to the cost of the new stone. The vendor can just jack that up to make up for the trade-in and pocket your stone for free.

Similar stones:

1.00 J VS1 EGL for $3130

1.04 J VS1 EGL for $3335

So, no, the price is not good. You should be able to get a 1.25 carat with the same specs.

GIA is generally more stringent and therefore reputable than EGL, but depending on your needs, EGL is fine. You just want to know a professional lab looked at it. I don't know if I would get a "J" color with an EGL cert, since their color grading is a sometimes little more lenient.

chantheman

Rough_Rock
Phoenix has given you a great perspective.

What may also be mentioning is that many believe that the only reliable EGL cert is one that is performed by EGL USA.

Properly graded stones from EGL can present great values for consumers.

If you search EGL cert in the PS search window, you will find a variety of information.

The most important thing is to have the cert of any lab verified by an independent appraiser.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results