shape
carat
color
clarity

update...the pooch is gone!!! ....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i knew this was going to happen after 2 days.
9.gif
my daughter haven't gotten much sleep in the pass few days,all grouchy and tire from taking the dog out to pee in the middle of the night. i said..."I TOLD YOU GUYS"
31.gif
she said...O.K.,O.K, you prove your point,you don't have to RUB IT IN !!!....they hate me when i'm right
9.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What did they do with the dog? Take it back to where they got it?

Oh my. . . .

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hold the phone here, is Jade lost, or was Jade given away??? What do you mean by gone??? Gone where???
33.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
awww that's sad but at least you guys realized that your fam is not cut out for the responsibility of a pet and gave her back to the breeder BEFORE getting attached to her...she'll find a great home i'm sure!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GONE??? What does GONE mean???

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2006 6:18:07 PM
Author: MissGotRocks

Oh my. . . .
my wife sold the dog to a co-worker''s sister,whom knows how to train and take good care of the dog.anyway...its really better for the dog. a $500 lesson for my wife
31.gif
another good reason to separate your money.
9.gif
my koi fishes were dancing in the water after i gave them the news.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Now DF don''t tell me that you really prefer those koi fish to that adorable warm loving puppy???

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh how odd, didn't you have a return policy on the dog within a period of time, like 5 days or something??

it always kind of bugs me when people get dogs and don't know what they are getting into, esp since then they often panic and sometimes the dog just gets taken to a shelter or something. anyway i am glad your wife was very responsible and found a good home for the dog!!!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: Mara
it always kind of bugs me when people get dogs and don''t know what they are getting into,
Yeah, me too Mara.
38.gif

There''s nothing cute or funny about this story.

widget

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My happy hubby volunteers at the anti cruelty society. You wouldn''t belive the stories that he hears for people give up their pets. I won''t even post some of the "reasons" here becuase they make me too damn mad!!!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/24/2006 6:39:03 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 6/24/2006 6:18:07 PM
Author: MissGotRocks

Oh my. . . .
my wife sold the dog to a co-worker's sister,whom knows how to train and take good care of the dog.anyway...its really better for the dog. a $500 lesson for my wife
31.gif
another good reason to separate your money.
9.gif
my koi fishes were dancing in the water after i gave them the news.

Mmmmm you are very lucky you could find a good home for the dog.
I certainly do remember having a brand new puppy and I was astonished that it kept me up all night at first. I mean, I had to CALL IN SICK TO WORK, so that I could care for my new puppy. I just had no idea! Luckily that phase doesn't last too long and he grew up into a delightful companion.

It was a good lesson, though!
I do long for a dog now and then, I remember what a commitment it was.
Glad to hear the puppy has a new home.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/24/2006 9:23:06 PM
Author: widget

it always kind of bugs me when people get dogs and don't know what they are getting into,

Yeah, me too Mara.
38.gif

There's nothing cute or funny about this story.

widget

I totally agree. not to be harsh, but this stuff really upsets and disappoints me. totally irresponsible and not cool.
there are so many irresponsible dog owners out there- i am glad you guys realized that you are not cut out for it. my parents have 4 dogs and live in Seattle- it is shocking how much work they are, they are like little children, even when they are housebroken. picking up their poo, walking them, training them to be civil, it is a full time job!
i hope that puppy got a good home. a responsible breeder would have a clause in their agreement that would have return policy... good breeders care about their dogs' welfare.
29.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Awww ...

Poor lil'' puppy ... that is so sad!
15.gif
emunlove.gif

I guess the rainbow is that your wife was able to find the lil'' darling a nice home that could care for it properly. I too am surprised that the breeder would not take the lil'' darling poochie back, even at a discount, most care about their pups and their well being, maybe the breeder was more of a puppy mill.

I bet your wife and daughter will think twice before they bring home another puppy.

Puppies are so adorable and sweet
28.gif
, but they take alot of work ... just like a baby in the beginning, but after the the first few weeks, they start to learn, just like children ... and become part of your heart
emlove.gif
... for me, they are my babies too!

Perhaps the next time your daughter and wife want a pooch ... May I suggest the nearest shelter or pound. Often times you will find a loyal and potty trained doggie that would love a loving home.

35.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep pink flamingo...many reputable breeders INSIST that you return the dog to them rather than taking them to a shelter or anything like that...some of them even have the buyer sign something to agree to that because they don''t want the dogs going somewhere random and possibly being put to death at a kill-shelter.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2006 8:30:40 PM
it always kind of bugs me when people get dogs and don't know what they are getting into, esp since then they often panic and sometimes the dog just gets taken to a shelter or something.
Ditto except it doesn't kinda bug me. It REALLY bugs me. I volunteer at a shelter, have been for years.

Honestly, your wife and daughter wouldn't have been allowed to adopt from us in the first place, most likely. And there is a legally enforceble clause in our contract that requires all returned animals to come back to us. And we keep our animals, baring severe illness or severe bahavioural issues, for as long as it takes to get them to the right home.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2006 8:30:40 PM
oh how odd, didn''t you have a return policy on the dog within a period of time, like 5 days or something??

it always kind of bugs me when people get dogs and don''t know what they are getting into, esp since then they often panic and sometimes the dog just gets taken to a shelter or something. anyway i am glad your wife was very responsible and found a good home for the dog!!!
are there return policy for dogs?
33.gif
i wasn''t there when they pick her up.yes, she in good hands.the new owner will take good care of her.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2006 9:23:06 PM
Author: widget

it always kind of bugs me when people get dogs and don''t know what they are getting into,
Yeah, me too Mara.
38.gif

There''s nothing cute or funny about this story.

widget
widget
i understand what you''re saying. nothing bothers me more when i walk into somebody''s backyard and i see koi kept in a 150 gal water garden,talk about animal cruelty.
14.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No see. I don''t think you do understand. I''m not going to put words in Widgets mouth... so I''ll just tell you what MY issue is.

Your wife. Treated this BABY (because obviously NONE of you have any concept of the fact that Jade was just that-- a BABY and an individual) like she would a pair of shoes or a purse.

She went out, on a whim and bought it-- not doing any research or anything and brought the poor thing home. After two days, tired of it. And gave it away.

What kind of lesson is this for your child? You taught your child that animals are objects-- nothing more. And that they can be disposed of just as easily as they can be acquired.

Honestly, it sickens me.

Responsible people take the time to do research on the time of pet they are bringing home. They understand that animals aren''t possessions but are living breathing members of the family. Babies-- puppies and kittens-- have special needs and responsible people understand that and take the time to find out what is involved in raising a healthy, happy pet.

The two of you have set a shameful precendent for your child. And really, taught her nothing of value.

I see people treat animals this way all the time. When it''s puppy and kitten season at the shelter the mothers come in with thier kids-- on a whim-- decide to get a puppy or a kitten-- like they are deciding on a new pair of shoes. We don''t adopt to these people.

Others are too polite to say it to you. But frankly, I''m not. I don''t think it''s laudable that you gave this dog away to what you are calling a good home. Because frankly, I don''t think you OR your wife would know what a good home for this dog was if it bit you in the *&%^E#.

And the people your wife got the babies from are awful too. But I''m not even going to get started on that.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I'm in complete agreement with you, Gypsy. Before getting Sally, I researched for over a year. I poured through pages of information (on pugs and dogs in general) and joined an online pug community. We have 2 health insurance policies for her! Dogs are living, breathing creatures, not something you decide to pick up one day because they might be "fun".

I used to work in a vet's office here in California, and I'd get calls from people asking how much vaccinations were. When I told them (a measly $65.00), they'd tell me they were going to take the animal back to the shelter, that they had no idea caring for one would cost this much. Did these people think that food, supplies, and general care would just fall from the sky? I had to quit after a month, I was so heartbroken.

Your wife adopting a puppy and giving it up after two days was incredibly thoughtless and irresponsible. What did they think a puppy would be, constant sunshine and rainbows? They need to be fed, walked, and taken care of. As Gypsy said, disposing of the poor, helpless puppy as if it was some broken toy set a horrible example for your daughter. Once you commit to taking care of something, you take care of it. Through the good times and the bad.

Sally had to get up multiple times throughout the night, and guess what? FI and I did it without complaint. We didn't get a full night's sleep for a year. The puppy phase eventually passed, and now, she's our healthy, happy little adult. Our responsibility. And I love every second.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOOK Gypsy,EBree....READ MY LIPS!!!.

i never agree to get a dog b/c i''m afraid of dogs. i been saying NO,NO,NO !!! for the pass yr,trying avoid the dog subject but,they kept on NAGGING me about getting one. at no time was the puppy ever been neglected in our home infact,my daughter lost a few pounds from the lack of sleep in the pass few days taking care of the puppy.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2006 2:28:41 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
LOOK Gypsy,EBree....READ MY LIPS!!!.

i never agree to get a dog b/c i'm afraid of dogs. i been saying NO,NO,NO !!! for the pass yr,trying avoid the dog subject but,they kept on NAGGING me about getting one. at no time was the puppy ever been neglected in our home infact,my daughter lost a few pounds from the lack of sleep in the pass few days taking care of the puppy.

I know, DF, it wasn't your fault. But I had to let you know how I feel, because *worse* happens all too often. Your situation was different in that your wife was able to find a good home for the pup, but so many people take these little lives for granted and end up dumping them back where they bought them or worse, on the street because they're "too much of a hassle".

Forgive me for being angry, but it's a sore spot for me. I'd never seen/met such soulless human beings before working as a vet tech, and I really haven't let go of all of it yet. I doubt I ever will.
38.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Guys,
Please know that DF came on here a while ago asking about this breed. He noted his displeasure about getting a puppy. He asked good questions, etc... He got out voted, wife and daughter got the puppy without his blessings. He's not to blame in this. Really, I know him pretty well and when he isn't for something he speaks his mind. Don't be mad at him. Just be happy Jade got a good home. But it is a good reminder to anyone thinking of taking in a puppy, it's a huge job and takes a lot of work. If you can, please adopt a puppy or an older dog from a shelter. Those dogs really are deserving of a loving home and will give you tons of love back because you rescued them. Something about those dogs will really melt your heart.
12.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EBree
no hard feeling.
2.gif
i feel the same way as you do when i hear stories about people dumping their koi fish in the river
38.gif
my daughter was weeping all day long about the puppy but, i told her she made the right choice b/c when she goes back to school in the fall nobody can take care of Jade.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks Kaleigh. PS members know i always speak my mind.
9.gif

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
It was a bit shocked to read some of the above replies, as they come across as being very judgemental.

We ALL make mistakes and wrong decisions in life.......right?

The important thing is how we deal with it. Jade has gone to a home where she is wanted and will be looked after. That''s a good ending in my book.

I think DF''s family will have been more traumatized by this than Jade.

Blod
35.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Indeed, I beleive that a very valuable lesson may well have been learned by DF's wife and daughter, although I cannot say for sure based a few posts in a discussion forum.

By the same token, I don't think you can read a few posts and then condemn people you don't even know.

Someone can do research, get a dog and realize that it is way more than they can deal with.
I believe that person has every right to say, "Hey we were mistaken. The best thing for all concerned will be to correct this situation in the best way possible". WHAT PART OF THAT IS A BAD EXAMPLE TO A KID? Learning to say, "I made a mistake. What can I learn from it?"

My pooch, many, many years ago came from a breeder who explained up front that the dog MUST be returned to her if it didn't work out.
I certainly thought about it when those sleepless nights hit. Nowhere in all my research was there any mention of sleepless nights!

I called her and she guided me through it and I raised my "baby", went through obedience classes, etc etc.
That was a time in my life when I had no other responsibilites. I had a friend with a new baby at the time and we had way more in common than seemed like we should.
Of course, a year later, I could sit around and read magazines while she was hitting the "butt never hits the couch" stage of parenting. Dogs are easier to raise & care for than little people.

I would not have felt like some criminal if I had returned the dog to the breeder.
And I had grown up with lots of pets- dogs, cats, chickens, horses & ponies, fishtanks and a goat. I know all about taking care of animals and the lifestyle it imposes. For years I was up before dawn to feed & water horses. At 17, I had to arrange for their care before I could go away for senior week to the beach. I really thought I knew about animal responsiblity.

But I did NOT know a new puppy would mean sleepless nights!

I don't think it is right to make a lot of assumptions and beat up DF.
As much as I loved my dog, Hoover, I still don't get why some pet owners get such a rage at a situation like this.
Maybe Freud could explain it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF is a good guy.
Im not going to bust his chops over it but the tone of the first post gave me a very negative reaction so I understand where the people who did are coming from.
The breeder is the one iv got the biggest problem with the screening process should have caught this and the sale refused.

Im glad that jade has a good home and pray she will have a long and happy life in a loving home.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was a sad story but I''m VERY glad the dog was (quickly) handed over to a person with experience raising puppies. A friend of mine is notorious for buying little puppies and then "returning" them or giving them to a shelter
39.gif
because she couldn''t deal with the sleepless nights, messes, and plain ole HARD WORK of raising a puppy. She has done this like FIVE TIMES and it p*sses me off to no end every time she buys another one. You''d think a 33-year-old woman would have learned her lesson the first couple times, but no.
38.gif

DF, I''m glad your wife came to her senses. Raising a puppy is almost as much work has a newborn. People often don''t realize that, which is often to the detriment of the dog. My DH and I like to say that raising our dog was a rehearsal for having a newborn...we were up all night with our baby dog for a whole month. So when our first child came, we were totally ready.
1.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The silver lining in all this, as others have said, is that Jade now has a new good home. It''s unfortunate this happened but at least it had a good ending. I''m hopeful, since DF''s wife knows the adopter, that the new owners will even let them come and visit and love the dog over the years.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2006 1:28:46 AM
Author: Gypsy
No see. I don't think you do understand. I'm not going to put words in Widgets mouth... so I'll just tell you what MY issue is.

Your wife. Treated this BABY (because obviously NONE of you have any concept of the fact that Jade was just that-- a BABY and an individual) like she would a pair of shoes or a purse.

She went out, on a whim and bought it-- not doing any research or anything and brought the poor thing home. After two days, tired of it. And gave it away.

What kind of lesson is this for your child? You taught your child that animals are objects-- nothing more. And that they can be disposed of just as easily as they can be acquired.

Honestly, it sickens me.

Responsible people take the time to do research on the time of pet they are bringing home. They understand that animals aren't possessions but are living breathing members of the family. Babies-- puppies and kittens-- have special needs and responsible people understand that and take the time to find out what is involved in raising a healthy, happy pet.

The two of you have set a shameful precendent for your child. And really, taught her nothing of value.

I see people treat animals this way all the time. When it's puppy and kitten season at the shelter the mothers come in with thier kids-- on a whim-- decide to get a puppy or a kitten-- like they are deciding on a new pair of shoes. We don't adopt to these people.

Others are too polite to say it to you. But frankly, I'm not. I don't think it's laudable that you gave this dog away to what you are calling a good home. Because frankly, I don't think you OR your wife would know what a good home for this dog was if it bit you in the *&%^E#.

And the people your wife got the babies from are awful too. But I'm not even going to get started on that.
We often see eye to eye, Gypsy, but not in this case.

I'm one of the most dyed-in-the-wool dog lovers you'll ever meet.......but I think you're being way too hard on DF and you're being baselessly judgmental.

I understand the frustration of folks going into pet ownership too lightly, but having said that.......one can research up the wazoo and still not realize what it entails until they are in it. It's one thing to read "a puppy needs a lot of attention and care", and it's quite another thing for someone to be sitting on the kitchen floor at 11 pm, 1am, 2:30am, 4:00 am, etc. Reading about it ISN'T the same as experiencing it. Some people don't realize they aren't capable of giving what it takes until they are IN it.

Yes, I understand that tons of folks get a puppy "on a whim", but if you'd put some of that outraged energy into reading a few posts, you'll see that was not the case with DF's family. They have been contemplating it for quite some time. The mistake I think they made was going forward when not everyone was fully on board.....but it's a MISTAKE. People are human, and they make mistakes. That shouldn't open them up to all manner of castigation.

I disagree with your assertion on what kind of lesson the child learned. I think she learned a few things of huge value. I think she learned that taking care of something/someone else is a really tough job and one not to be entered into lightly. I think she learned that it's more important to put the needs of the animal first even though it was sad to give her up.

Others may be too polite to say it to you, but I'm not. I don't agree that people should just suck up a situation and "live with" their mistake. All that does is result in an unwanted and unloved pet, and that is never in an animal's best interest. I feel similarly about children.......there are folks who find they cannot handle the responsibilities of parenting. I'd rather see a child placed in a loving home with people who WANT to parent. Instead, some folks insist that "you got into this, now you must live with it"....and those are the folks you hear about on the evening news having shaken their infant to death because they didn't have the skills to parent.

My parents adopted their last Sheltie from a family who was "disappointed" in the dog and decided they'd rather have a poodle instead. The sheltie was a bit too "rambunctous" for them because she liked to chase and play. As a result, this dog was neglected. No one loved her, no one gave her any attention, and she lived out in the back yard for the most part. When my parents went to see her, she wasn't potty trained yet.....she didn't even have her own toys.

My parents took her at 10 mos. old, and under LOVING care, she developed into the best dog my folks have ever had. Seeing her transform from withdrawn to playful and happy was unbelievable. She developed right before our eyes into the sweetest little soul. All she needed was someone to love her and give her what she needed. She died at 10 years old from a brain tumor five years ago, and my dad is STILL not over losing her. My folks ADORED this dog, and she loved them.

It is sad to think that Misty (that dog) would have missed out on 9 years of a blissful life full of love and attention just because someone with your viewpoint would have insisted on the original family "living with their mistake" because 'you don't just give away a baby'. Misty would have been the one to pay the price for such a stance, and I cannot remotely see how anyone who claims to love animals would deny a loving home to an animal just because that home wasn't the original one.

I cannot fathom how anyone who truly loves animals would insist on seeing a dog remain in an unloving environment instead of going to a loving one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results