shape
carat
color
clarity

Update on e-ring creation!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all,

Some of you may remeber my gorgeous hubby bought me a lovely parti-sapphire to be set for my new e-ring. Well we went to a ritzy jeweller on the weekend to look at ideas for a setting. The stone was always a lot smaller than I wanted but I thought I''d just settle for it anyway. (Can''t be too picky!)

Well the appointment was a bit of a let down. We booked ages ahead, and were expecting the head designer but instead the apprentice greeted us. I''m sure she is perfectly capbable but I was a tad suprised to be honest. Their website promised private rooms, computer modelling and champagne. Instead we got a chair in the shop and had to ask for a glass of water. I came prepared with a scrap book of ideas and she barely took any notes and didn''t offer any contructive advice. She didn''t examine the stone at all and merely said she''d sent us a quote in a few weeks.
40.gif
Overall I felt like they didn''t take us seriously. I know we are young and it wasn''t a huge diamond but still I expected slightly more enthusiasim.

Afterwards we headed down to the beach and hubby could tell I was a bit quiet. He said he knew I was disapointed in the size of my sapphire and the jeweller experience and suggested I try again to get what I wanted even if it took a little longer. He suggested that instead of settling for less I wait and get what I always really wanted - an asscher gemstone!
30.gif

So am on the hunt again, have contacted Jeff White and John from GemRite. Am looking for a large (ie. 8-10mm) asscher cut gemstone. Open to any pastel colour or type of stone as long as it''s tough enough. Prefer colours like lemon yellow, lavender purple or raspberry red. Any help or ideas would be greatfully appreciated!

(Sorry for the long thread!) P.S. Will prob set my parti-sapphire in a necklace instead.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
How do you intend to wear your ring? Will it be worn 24/7 365 days a week? Or do you take it off to do dishes, or gardening, or go to the gym, etc? If it''s the former than you will probably be limited to sapphire, ruby, spinel, chrysoberyl, and alexandrite. If it''s the latter then your options open up further.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m pretty gentle on rings. I work in an office and always take them off as soon as I get home. Never wear it for house chores etc. So am hoping I can use anything with hardness of 7-8 and over.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I think you''re probably right about the hardness of your ring. So garnets and tourmaline are in, and maybe topaz as well? Also, what''s the budget for this asscher?

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Budget? Hmmm... If I would get away with around $AU500 that would be great but if it was a once-in-a-lifetime stone I could probably stretch it to $AU1000 at the very very most!

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
hi HotPozzum,

I wanted to comment on that jeweler experience. Don''t go back there ever again (not that I think you would.) I''m saying this because I''ve had such nice experiences with both local and online designers, and designing a ring with people like that is a wonderful journey. A good professional will be interested in who you are and what you want, because this is an important piece for you. They will also do their utmost to tweak the design until it''s one of your dreams.

I''ve been shopping at jewelers who''ve treated their customers with an expert''s air and almost bordering on contempt. For me, that''s always staid as a memory connected to that particular piece of jewelry.

Good luck with finding the asscher of your dreams, and a great designer for the ring
1.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/2/2009 12:35:22 AM
Author: mariedtiger
hi HotPozzum,

I wanted to comment on that jeweler experience. Don''t go back there ever again (not that I think you would.) I''m saying this because I''ve had such nice experiences with both local and online designers, and designing a ring with people like that is a wonderful journey. A good professional will be interested in who you are and what you want, because this is an important piece for you. They will also do their utmost to tweak the design until it''s one of your dreams.

I''ve been shopping at jewelers who''ve treated their customers with an expert''s air and almost bordering on contempt. For me, that''s always staid as a memory connected to that particular piece of jewelry.

Good luck with finding the asscher of your dreams, and a great designer for the ring
1.gif
DITTO!!!

I wish you the best of luck in searching for your perfect asscher!

Lori

ma re

Ideal_Rock
So if my math is correct we''re looking at 400-800 US$ for a 3-4 ct stone. Well that limits some stones right away, but that doesen''t have to be a bad thing at all. Since you mentioned some colors I think your choices are:

- for a lemony yellow; tourmaline (will be hard to find, but maybe cutters can source some), mali garnet, grossular garnet, yellow zircon and heliodor
- for lavender; sapphire (probably heated), spinel, zircon and even amethyst
- I''m not sure raspberry would be a good option for an asscher, cause stones in that shade tend to be quite dark already, and if you fashion them into a cut with a steep pavilion, there''s a risk they''d end up too dark to enjoy the cutting.

P. S. Be aware that well-known cutters will charge quite a lot for their work, so these choices might become even more limited (to only less costly of the varieties mentioned).

P. P. S. Varieties that I''ve underlined are those that I think are better suited for being cut into asschers, due to their optical properties.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
hi HotPozzum,

1.gif
Double ditto.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
hi HotPozzum,

I wanted to comment on that jeweler experience. Don't go back there ever again (not that I think you would.) I'm saying this because I've had such nice experiences with both local and online designers, and designing a ring with people like that is a wonderful journey. A good professional will be interested in who you are and what you want, because this is an important piece for you. They will also do their utmost to tweak the design until it's one of your dreams.

I've been shopping at jewelers who've treated their customers with an expert's air and almost bordering on contempt. For me, that's always staid as a memory connected to that particular piece of jewelry.

1.gif

I agree whole-heartedly.
Marie, I also wanted to just say "wow" ! on your new pendant sketch by Julia (I saw it in her shop) - I can't wait to see that come to life!

Pozzum, Ma re has given you a good list to go off above. I will just give you a friendly warning, as I've been hunting for an asscher of the same size recently - you are going to most likely need all of the 1k aud. if you can stretch it. Asschers are time-consuming and take up alot of rough (or I should say, require just the right rough), so there is both quite a high labour and materials cost.
But like you said, if it's going to be a once in a lifetime stone, you may aswell invest a lil more and get something you're really fond of this time, right?

Also, when the time is right make sure you ask for recommendations for collaborative jewellers - we can suggest many that will treat you properly, and also have very high standard of work.
You may want to consider working with someone in the US via the net - alot easier than you may think!

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Gene had a nice ring on his website a while back.

mimiowens_032609.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can find a yellow grossular garnet that big, I think it''d be pretty awesome and unique!

Barry had a very pretty lemony yellow garnet on his site that I thought was a smashing color.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/2/2009 5:38:35 AM
Author: kribbie
Gene had a nice ring on his website a while back.
That's mochi's stunning chrysoberyl. Link

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ohh, I sure hope you get a dreamy gem, this was on Jeff''s site a while ago, its been sold but I''ve kept this picture that one day I''ll have him cut me one of these beauties, and who knows maybe Jeff might have something like?
30.gif
30.gif

whitesgemyellowsaph1091.JPG

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
What about this one? It''s not quite 8mm, but it''s still decently sized and VERY affordable. If you really do want a larger stone then perhaps Dan has more of this m aterial that he could cut for you?

http://www.customgemstones.com/TOURMALINE/to1172.html

7.14mm
1.8ct
$171

Heck, it''s so pretty I might pick it up myself!

Tourmasscher.jpg

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks AJ
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2009 1:38:30 AM
Thanks AJ
1.gif

35.gif
Honestly, I wish I had somewhere to wear lovely pendant like that -
pls make sure you share once its complete (and love the RG btw).
1.gif

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your lovely comments and advice.
36.gif

Ma Rae is right - perhaps a lovely greeny yellow garnet set in yellow gold would be perfect for me! I love Mochi''s ring - it''s the same idea I''m going for.
30.gif

I will settle for smaller if I have to but am willing to wait until I get the perfect stone. Will keep researching and hunting.
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results