shape
carat
color
clarity

update....need advice on appraisal & setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

uclaure

Rough_Rock
It's been a while since I have posted about my own project. I bought my .81 J SI1 back in May. I still have it unmounted. I decided to put off mounting it for many reasons, but now I think things are going to pick up again. My first question is this, should I get the the stone independently appraised first before I get it mounted? I am in no way concerned about the stone not being what it's suppose to be. The only reason I would want to get it appraised is for insruance purposes. When I go to get the ring insured, with chubb most likely, will they require an appraisal of the loose diamond and a seperate one for the completed ring? I spoke with an independent appraiser in the L.A. jewelry district that has been highly recommended here. He told me that it really wasn't necessary to appraise the diamond because I already have the AGS cert. He suggested that I only take it to him after the ring is complete. Anyone care to shed some light on this issue?

My second question concerns the setting. I already know the setting the I want, actually that she wants, and it is available at a local b&m for a little more than 1200 including tax. It is 18K white gold and has pave set diamonds for a tcw of about .34. I called up whiteflash and sent them a picture of the setting to see if they could reproduce it. They said they could, but that it would have to be in 14K white gold. They said that the price would be about 950. Should I be worried about the 14k white gold? I know that whiteflash does marvelous custom work and that they have an excellent track record. A plus if I go the custom route with whiteflash is that they will be using aca melees for the setting and most likely the tcw will be more than the .34 of the pre-fabricated setting at the b&m. I don't know if I should play it safe and get it at the local b&m or try my luck with whiteflash. Please help.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The normal Chubb policy is a defined value policy. This means that what they want from the appraisal is some assurance that the item actually exists, that it is in your posession, that it has no unknown defects (meaning that it''s not already damaged), and that the declared value is not likely to encourage you to file fake claims. All of these can best be answered by having it appraised after it''s mounted and attaching the AGS report to the appraisal.

Neil Beaty
Independent Appraisals in Denver

uclaure

Rough_Rock
thanks for clearing that up.....anybody have opinions on setting dilema?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If Whiteflash is quoting for a custom job, they should be able to make it in 18k just as easilly as 14k, although the price will be a little higher. It may be that the ring itself is being manufacturered by a 3rd party and WF is supplying the stones and setting labor. Do you know who made the piece at the jewelry store? It sounds like the store is being pretty reasonable. Is there some reason (other than the $200) that is leading you away from them?

Neil Beaty
Independent Appraisals in Denver

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
It may be best to choose the one you have actually seen instead of ''muddying the waters''. Price seems reasonable and you will have a relationship with someone in case of sizing etc. Cindy

northstar_78

Shiny_Rock
I can''t respond to the insurance question but I''ll chime in about Whiteflash. I''ve been talking with them a lot lately because I''m interested in one of their rings. It is one of their exclusive designs, and it only comes in 18K w/y or platinum. I wanted a custom matching wedding band, and they said that they could create it in platinum or 18K. Even their website states that they work in 18K and platinum. I don''t know why they gave you a 14K option.

reena

Ideal_Rock
i have chubb and they do not require an appraisal for items under i think $50k, but as DA said it''s a good idea to get one anyway for the reasons he mentioned above.

uclaure

Rough_Rock
i''m kinda leaning toward what cindy said. I too found it rather odd that they would only be able to make it in 14k white gold. I spoke with Leslie and mentioned to her that on their website it states that they work with 18K. I forget exactly what she said, but assured me that this ring could only be made in 14k white gold. The only reason I considered whiteflash is because I feel that I would be getting better quality stones for the setting (aca melees) as opposed the already manufactured ring at the store, which only list color and clarity (f/g vs). Also, if I go with whiteflash, I will have to ship my stone to them. I wasn''t worried about buying the diamond unseen online because I had a good idea of what I would be getting. It''s very different with the ring because there are so many variables that complicate things.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results