shape
carat
color
clarity

Update and opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hey everyone. For those of you following my quest for the perfect sapphire for an ering, I have an update and some questions.

My financial situation has somewhat changed. An elderly aunt who learned I was having a really rough go with a car that I was spending out the nose for was so incredibly kind and she just gave me her car! Like just signed it over and gave me her car! Amazing! With her doing this I am able to sell my car and it seems things are freeing up.

So, now I need to buckle down and figure out the setting. I believe I have THE sapphire coming in the next few weeks, maybe a month or so. It''s going to be a 7-7.5mm round. I''m not saying where I''m getting it from yet because when I do the unveiling of the beauty...I want it to be big! Ok...well it''s gonna be big for me.
36.gif

For quite some time now I''ve been torn between a halo and a James Meyer...I think I have ruled them both out. While having lunch with FSIL this past weekend I was admiring the simplicity of her solitare and started thinking that what if down the line I regretted the extravagant setting. Would I tire of all the bling and start to wish I had gone simple. So i thought that made it easy, JM was the easy choice until I then started pouring over those threads and saw that some found the setting too high while it worked well for others. I''m afraid I''m spinning the chance wheel and I want this to be my forever ring. So then last night I came across D&T''s old set that was the Keystone half bezel and the Danielle wedding band and I was in love.

So..I''m not sure what I''m asking, but what are your thoughts? Am I crazy to nix the JM? Will a semi bezel not be practical for a ring that will be worn 99% of the time? Did anyone have a halo and regret it? Does anyone have a solitare and wish they had gone halo?

Can anyone provide bezel pictures with open baskets? I think thats right, where the bezel only goes around the girdle and you can see the cutlet. I''d like a thinner shank than the keystone and I''d love a split shank.

Sorry so long!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think solitaires are beautiful and the semi bezel settings are very elegant looking. My only concern is if the sapphire might look darker than in a prong mounted setting? I don''t know (or remember) what color you are looking at for your ering.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I will post a picture of the sapphire when I get to my home computer. It''s a medium royal blue. I''m 99% set on some way shape or form of bezel setting it. If it were only a semi bezel though and I wear the ring more than not, would I be risking the unprotected part of the girdle chipping?

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
Oh good, I''m so glad you found your dream sapphire!

I have a half bezel as my engagement ring (from Brian Knox) and I love it! It''s got elegant simplicity, it doesn''t snag on anything, I don''t have to worry about it as I probably would with a more elaborate setting -- which is great for something I want to wear all the time. I have never, ever wished it was a halo or anything more elaborate. Now, I really wish I had gone with a sapphire instead of a diamond (so I think that''s a great choice on your part), but that''s another story...

I wouldn''t worry about the safety of a half bezel -- I''d think if anything it''s safer than prongs (more metal covering the stone), and people get prongs all the time for e-rings.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Since you can''t decide between simple and elaborate, how about simple from the top and some diamonds in the profile, so that you get the best of both...kind off.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hey Stepcut!!! sooo glad to see things are working out just fine now.. Now about your delimma. I just changed my setting to a Sholdt Semi bezel with sidestones, and during the process, I found this beautiful piece by Mark Patterson and I absolutely love this design as well. The semi bezel has such a beautiful profile and you can add diamonds on the shank to give it a little more oomph or just plain, but hope you enjoy these pictures. I also have a pink Richard Homer pink sapphire that I haloed in a Bev K halo with airline, and that should be coming in a few days, so maybe those pictures might be able to help you as well when I get a chance to post them for you. I really love colored stone either in a halo or three stone, but its all personal preference though

http://www.markpatterson.com/

markpattersondt1.JPG

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your responses. I wasn''t able to edit the picture to crop out the sapphire from the hands it was on enough to post. I think the whole picture would give away who is cutting the stone for me.

Thank you for the pictures D&T, I love that design. I''m thinking if I go that way I may need to go custom because I want a thinner shank. All of them seem to have wider shanks, is it not possible to have a think shank with that design?

deor-do you ever knock yours around? I''m slightly worried about chipping the girdle.

Thanks Mr. Ma re, I have thought about sneaking in some diamonds somewhere.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey SCG! I''m so glad you found the perfect stone! I think it would be pretty with a bezel/semi bezel.

Whiteflash has a few w/thinner shanks..I thought about the 1st one
for mine earlier.
Corazon

True Love

Endless Love

Cameron

Those I can think of off the top of my head. Knox I think won''t use outside stones.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks packrat, those are some good examples. I love your new ering from sally!

It seems like in some of the semi bezels that the top is just kinda plunked onto the shank. I want a profile like below but maybe with a semi bezel it isn''t possible? I love the top look of D&T''s old keystone with a profile view of this....

scholdtlks918.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! I''m excited yippee! (there''s a handshot in the thread too now, did you see it?)

The whole "plunked down on the shank" thing bothers me too! Do you have a budget for us to keep in mind when we''re looking?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
here is a ritani endless love Semi bezel you can see the culet nicely. This is Bleed Burnt Orange's ering

BBO4.jpg

BBO6.jpg

BBO3.jpg

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Um...I really
30.gif
the one like Freke''s from Diamond Scaasi. So pretty...and a split shank!

That is a pretty Ritani too D&T.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
I''m not careful with my ring at all -- it does knock against things a lot, but so far looks good. (I''m not reckless with it, mind you, and I usually do take it off -- though not always!-- if we are climbing up rocks or something, which is something my husband occasionally wants to do... ) Though I think my half-bezel has somewhat more coverage than some of the other pics in this thread (though wow, what beautiful pics!) and is designed so it usually doesn''t knock against the part of the girdle that''s exposed, so you might want to keep that in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results