shape
carat
color
clarity

Up for a challenge? Wanna play Dress Up Delster?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
I have a function to go at the end of the month and I have found this dress to wear. I tried it on purely on a whim and it actually fit really well. The colours are a bit darker, kind of richer IRL, and it's actually much more of an empire line than it looks in this picture. Unlike any other empire line I ever tried on, this dress avoids 'is she pregnant?' issue really well
5.gif
It's also the first halter neck I ever tried on that was up to the task of holding the 'girls' in place, and that has sufficient coverage! I'll try and get a photo of ME in the dress later on as I know that'll make things easier... in the meantime, the website link lets you see the fabric up close if you are so inclined. The website describes the length as 'maxi' but it hits me just barely below the knee, just a shade past 'on the knee'.

Best of all, I found out at the till it was further reduced so I got it for €70, down from over €200!

The only suggestion the website has for accessorising this dress is a paisley HEADSCARF?!? Eh, no. Ladies, can you help me? I need inspiration for shoes, a cover-up for the shoulders, and what to do with my hair. The function will be semi-formal (suits for guys, dresses for girls), followed by photos, a short private reception thingy, then a family dinner, and a bigger party in a pub afterwards. Maybe even dancing. Being in Ireland I'm going to have to take your suggestions and try and find similar over here, but please, INSPIRE ME!

coast_boulevard_dress.jpg

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a detail view of the cut-out pattern on edge of the wrap:

CutOutWrapDetail.jpg

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Definitely black shoes - because of the tie around your neck.

I'd go barely there necklace chain with a big pendant and small earrings
OR
No necklace, long earrings and a bracelet.

I'd also get a wrap in a warm fabric (not sheer) in a color that doesn't necessarily matchy match with the dress like fuschia.

How long and what style is your hair? Color?

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Aprilcait I love everything you've posted! The edging on that second wrap is just so pretty
30.gif
For shoes, I was thinking about wearing a pair I have that are almost identical to the second pair you posted. So I guess I'm on the right track?
2.gif
Mine are suede rather than patent leather, with about a 4" stiletto heel and a pointy toe.

Starset I'm thinking the same about necklaces. I'm a very minimal jewellery kind of girl anyway. I was thinking no necklace, small dangly earrings, and a sparkly bracelet I already have (maybe).

I was thinking more a bolero type jacket than a wrap? I'd fiddle with a wrap constantly and it would feel too 'evening' I think. The event is daytime - it's a doctorate conferring ceremony (not mine). But the wraps are so elegant. Hmmmm...

For the hair questions, here are some pictures! Please don't be frightened by the neon pink pale Irish skin, I'm afraid I can't help it
2.gif
For reasons of the nasty blue legs I am thinking dark tights? And definitely black shoes, don't mind the beige ones I have on here. Apologies the pics are so dark, but you get the general idea I hope.

coast_dress_photos.JPG

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! I''m glad you liked the suggesetion.
36.gif

Unfortunately, I couldn''t really tell the length of your hair from the picture. From the picture on the left, it looks like your hair might be a few inches below shoulder-length, straight, and a deep brown... or am I way off?

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Okay
Hair down
Wouldn''t recommend the bolero jacket because where will the tie at the back of your neck go? Inside the jacket? On top of the jacket making your hair stick out?
Or do you mean like one of these?

What will the weather be like?
If it''s chilly then yes black opaque tights.

rarefashioncouk.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I had that dress I would do something like this:

Wear the pointy toe black stilettos...

A black shrug...

Add a punch of metallic with a clutch...

silver clutch.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s a black shrug that I had in mind...you could wear the bow of the dress over the top of the shrug.

black shrug.jpg

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow guys everything you have found is just gorgeous! Thank you so much for all this help
36.gif

Starset where is that little jacket from? I absolutely love it
30.gif
and if I knew where it was from I could try scouring eBay and I *might* find a seller who'll ship internationally... It's exactly what I had in mind. On the hair issue, I was going to search for something without a collar and just put the halterneck tie inside the jacket or maybe lying over the top. It lies pretty flat as the fabric on the ties is narrowed at the top and then tapers out.

Frekechild what are you doing putting a blingalicious handbag in front of me?!? You naughty thing, tempting me like that!
2.gif

Aprilcait I'm loving that hot pink bag, it's adorable. I bet I could find something similar over here and I think it could look great. Hmmmm....

Oh and here's a better picture of the hair. It's dark brown, almost black, but with red accents in it. It's layered in around my face (shortest layer is at my chin) and in the back is *almost* reaches my bra strap. It's a bit shorter in this pic but you get the colour a bit better...

hair_closeup.JPG

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm I found this but I don''t think it''s dressy enough? It says it''s ''heavy cotton'', not sure that''ll look smart enough...

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! Sadly, they have none left in black
39.gif
Oh well, I guess the hunt continues!
2.gif

designchica

Shiny_Rock
I''m seeing silver strappy sandals with this dress.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/8/2008 1:41:21 PM
Author: Delster
I was thinking no necklace, small dangly earrings, and a sparkly bracelet I already have (maybe).

I think that would be PERFECT for jewelry. I don''t know whether it''s that I usually don''t like necklaces with halter type dresses or whether it''s because I''m just really into cool earrings right now.

By the way, I LOVE the dress. It looks fantastic. The colors are great!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was originally thinking silver shoes to go with the blingy purse just because that''s what I would do (I have 11 pairs of silver shoes
9.gif
9.gif
), but since you already have the pointy toe shoes...

I forgot to mention the jewels!!I really think that you should wear some great sparkly earrings in silver of some kind...Maybe chandelier or something similar? I too am against necklaces with a halter unless we''re talking Angelina Jolie and her millions of dollars of diamonds that she wore with that amazing white halter top dress to the Academy Awards a few years back.

I want this necklace. Not like I''d ever be able to afford it, but whatever...
9.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2008 3:47:40 PM
Author: designchica
I'm seeing silver strappy sandals with this dress.
So does BF! And I would too, for a night out sipping cocktails and dancing - soooo glamourous
1.gif
But this is a daytime thing that will involve a fair amount of traipsing around a university campus. And traipsing anywhere in Ireland means PUDDLES. So, sadly, for daytime at least, sandals are out
7.gif
And you know, I have a gorgeous pair of silver sandals that would look really great - it's just not an option in the rain!

In more exciting news, the bolero jacket that Starset posted came back in stock!!! Yay!!!
36.gif
They charge €15 for delivery to Ireland though, ouch! Still, I am getting it for 50% off so I am happy enough with that. I'm so excited - I love that bolero! Here's hoping the fit is good
1.gif

Fancy thank you so much for the compliments on the dress
9.gif
I'm also not a fan of necklaces with halternecks - it just looks too cluttered to me somehow. I tend not to wear necklaces at all when I'm dressing up actually. I'm a very minimalist dresser I think!

Frekechild I can totally see why you'd want that necklace Angelina is rockin' there! Who wouldn't?!?
3.gif

OK so here are some earring options. Sadly big chandelier earrings a lá Beyonce are out. The lady who pierced my ears when I was a child put the holes too low and heavy earrings just hurt like crazy. I have a few cheap CZ options (top image, there's a mixture of dangly ones and stud ones) and a pair of Swarovski crystal ones (bottom image) that match the bracelet I might wear. I do also have a couple of chandelier-ish ones that don't hurt but they're more in the brown/copper colour spectrum and I don't think they'd match. Any of these look promising or should I keep looking?
2.gif

earrings_options.JPG

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fabulous dress, I really love it! I see black peep toe pumps with this dress. I would do a clutch in a bright color or strange texture like moc croc. For jewelry, I''m not really sure...maybe silver stick earrings and skip the necklace.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2008 11:01:49 AM
Date: 1/9/2008 3:47:40 PM

Author: designchica

I''m seeing silver strappy sandals with this dress.
So does BF! And I would too, for a night out sipping cocktails and dancing - soooo glamourous
1.gif
But this is a daytime thing that will involve a fair amount of traipsing around a university campus. And traipsing anywhere in Ireland means PUDDLES. So, sadly, for daytime at least, sandals are out
7.gif
And you know, I have a gorgeous pair of silver sandals that would look really great - it''s just not an option in the rain!

OK so here are some earring options. Sadly big chandelier earrings a lá Beyonce are out. The lady who pierced my ears when I was a child put the holes too low and heavy earrings just hurt like crazy. I have a few cheap CZ options (top image, there''s a mixture of dangly ones and stud ones) and a pair of Swarovski crystal ones (bottom image) that match the bracelet I might wear. I do also have a couple of chandelier-ish ones that don''t hurt but they''re more in the brown/copper colour spectrum and I don''t think they''d match. Any of these look promising or should I keep looking?
2.gif

I like either of the dangly ones. I''m partial to sparkly/dangly ones though. But I still like the ones on the bottom too...

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2008 4:42:08 PM
Author: kcoursolle
Fabulous dress, I really love it! I see black peep toe pumps with this dress. I would do a clutch in a bright color or strange texture like moc croc. For jewelry, I'm not really sure...maybe silver stick earrings and skip the necklace.
Thank you for the compliment!

I like the funky clutch idea, I really liked the one Aprilcait posted earlier. I have a voucher for River Island and their bags are always really funky, I might get something perfect there. Hmmm... they do very cool costume jewellery too...
31.gif

Frekechild you should see the necklace that goes with those earrings - here it is in blue but mine has clear Swarovski crystals (it comes in pink too). It's just soooo pretty on
30.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, just jumping in here, hope you don''t mind. IMO, ankle straps on your feet (mildly pointy toes, no platforms, maybe 3" heel tops) would be fabulous with that dress. I do understand from reading above that you might have to contend with rainy weather....such is life m''dear...hee hee. Carry a gorgeous umbrella or make your hubby/FI do the dirty work!

I love/lurve the dress! It really is beautiful, fits you so well, I can''t say a negative thing about it. But really I do feel it should be complemented by ankle strapped black heels. It will make those stems of yours look even longer, you know?

As for a wrap? Something black and sheer, preferably with beading..not sequins, just beading. You''ll be able to wear it again and again...just splurge this one time. You won''t be sorry.

A handbag? Grab whatever tickles your fancy! Or as we Americans say...just grab whatever the hell you like that''s cute. Handbags definitely come and go...no sense spending a fortune on one that you''ll only carry for 3-4 hours...

Have fun, best wishes, thanks for letting me pop in with my .02!
35.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Monarch thanks so much for all the suggestions and all the compliments! You''ll swell a girl''s head
2.gif

My Mom has a pashmina that she''s going to pull out tonight and I''m going to check it out. I''m actually considering breaking out a wrap for dinner and drinks after all the formalities (and shivering) of the daytime events. The ceremony kicks off at 9am and then there will be tea drinking etc OUTSIDE in IRELAND in JANUARY with NO SHELTER. Um, how on earth do they imagine this is a good idea?!?!?

I completely love ankle strap shoes on other people, really I do. But I don''t think they do anything for my legs - that vertical line going straight across my ankle just shortens the poor stumpies. I need that unbroken line all the way down to the toes, maximising acreage! Alas, I am 5''6" with only 29" legs
39.gif

Mam also has a black clutch that she''s going to let me have a look at. But I''m still thinking a hot pink bag would be fun!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2008 8:55:42 PM
Date: 1/10/2008 4:42:08 PM

Author: kcoursolle

Fabulous dress, I really love it! I see black peep toe pumps with this dress. I would do a clutch in a bright color or strange texture like moc croc. For jewelry, I''m not really sure...maybe silver stick earrings and skip the necklace.

Thank you for the compliment!

I like the funky clutch idea, I really liked the one Aprilcait posted earlier. I have a voucher for River Island and their bags are always really funky, I might get something perfect there. Hmmm... they do very cool costume jewellery too...
31.gif

Frekechild you should see the necklace that goes with those earrings - here it is in blue but mine has clear Swarovski crystals (it comes in pink too). It''s just soooo pretty on
30.gif

OMG!!!I love that necklace!!!It''s gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!Show me pretty much anything thats blue and sparkly, and I start drooling over it.
20.gif
This is why I have to try to stay away from the gemstones thread....

So I don''t know what the exchange rate is between here and anywhere else right now, but even so, groceries are more important than lovely blue sparklies...
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have these shoes from office and they are so comfortable and can be dressed up or down. It won't let me copy a photo but here's the link

shoes

I know how cold it is here at the moment but I think that dress would look lovely with a shawl or a wrap as the detail of the dress at the back is gorgeous and it would be nice to show it off. I had to go to an event for D's mam at the start of December and I wore a nice winter coat over my dress while I was outside and then when we were inside I took off the coat and put a shawl over my shoulders.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the sleeves on this one-it''s from coast

prettycoverup.jpg

Delster

Ideal_Rock
bee, thanks! Girl you are the shoe diva! Those Office ones are gorgeous
1.gif
Sadly I can''t afford to splash on shoes when I already have a good pair of black high heels. Can''t justify it to myself
8.gif

I am seriously considering the wrap option. I''m going to check out my Mam''s pashmina tonight and if it''s not up to the task I''ll be in town tomorrow and I might go to Accessorize. A wrap just screams ''glamourous'' doesn''t it? And you''re right, I could wear a smart Winter coat for the traisping around in the rain portions of the day. In fact, coat is in the dry cleaners as I type, getting spruced up for the occasion!!!

FrekeChild if I point out it''s basically just cut glass and the silver isn''t even sterling, does that make it any easier?
2.gif
Oh and that in dollars that necklace is running close to $150! It''s pricey stuff for what it is really...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results