shape
carat
color
clarity

Unusual marks for antique ring.

FrankCadman

Rough_Rock
I bought this ring without looking carefully and when I saw the marks, I was horrified! These do not look like stamps on any antique jewelry I have bought over the years. Have I made a costly error? Thank you. RING3A.jpg

Attachments

• RING3B.jpg
    RING3B.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 49
  • RING3I.jpg
    RING3I.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 49

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you mean the hallmarks in your third photo? I don’t see any other marks.

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
Hi! Congrats on the very lovely ring. These look like typical Victorian to Edwardian British assay marks, so I don't think you need to worry. The "BHJ" is the maker's registered mark (possibly B.H. Joseph and Co. as Yada has pointed out), the crown indicates gold article, and the "18" is the gold purity so it's 18ct (18k) gold. There should have been a further regional assay office mark, and a date mark indicating year of manufacture, but perhaps they have been lost due to prior resizing as it often happens.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. I did find that maker but my question is where are the other marks - assay office, date, etc. That's why I'm concerned.

I don’t think you have reason to be concerned. It is a British ring and all the stamps stand for something as @goldnsilver pointed out.

I know some PS’ers are very knowledgeable about British marks and their meaning and I believe someone posted a chart on them. Maybe one of them will see this thread and weigh in.

FrankCadman

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I did find that maker but my question is where are the other marks - assay office, date, etc. That's why I'm concerned.

I don’t think you have reason to be concerned. It is a British ring and all the stamps stand for something as @goldnsilver pointed out.

I know some PS’ers are very knowledgeable about British marks and their meaning and I believe someone posted a chart on them. Maybe one of them will see this thread and weigh in.

Thank you. I am a bit of a worrier and if something looks different than what I'm used to, I have a wobble. I did contact the seller and I have it in writing that the ring is what it purports to be, so I'm settled now. Much obliged for your comments.

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The crown and 18 look like typical British hallmarks. The assay office and date hallmarks appear to have been lost due to sizing which happens sometimes unfortunately. The style and diamond cuts look consistent with other half hoop rings from the late 1800s.

FrankCadman

Rough_Rock
The crown and 18 look like typical British hallmarks. The assay office and date hallmarks appear to have been lost due to sizing which happens sometimes unfortunately. The style and diamond cuts look consistent with other half hoop rings from the late 1800s.

Thank you so much.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results