Is this halo too bulky and big?

• Yes - Redo the halo with smaller stones

Votes: 62 93.9%
  • No - It is a good engagement ring

Votes: 4 6.1%

• Total voters

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
Yes I agree with distracts as well the ring isn't made poorly it looks nice aside from being chunky.

This time around the jeweler we do CAD designs for me first to approve before he starts the work so I can post them on here for feedback. We are doing half pointers everywhere including the shank, slightly angled halo as shown in the Victor canera and narrow claws as discussed in the thread.
Also doing more of a step down loon between halos instead of being so level.

The band itself was squared off but I might get it rounded this time. Will also look at the 1.5 carat on Monday and consider up upping the stone size since people have said I will look better then 1 carat with a double halo.

I am much more educated now and I think with the specifics the remake will good. Everyone on this site has been so helpful I can't say enough how refreshing it is to talk to people who have experience and have been through this.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1408752122|3737834 said:
Distracts, I agree. I think one re-work is fine. I would want a warranty for at least a year so that if there are problems they'll stand behind it. But if the re-work is aesthetically pleasing, great. But if it's not, or if there are other issues with the second version... then it's time for a refund. That's all I am saying.

I agreed with Gypsy's previous post.

I don't see the point in making a jeweler who doesn't feel comfortable using 1/2 pointers, and probably won't do a good job on it, do soemthing a second time. They had the chance to get it right. It's time to move on.

Just bc a jeweler says he can do 1/2 pointers doesn't mean it'll look good. It may, it may not. I'm just worried about a jeweler who would recommend 1 pointers when the client asks for 1/2's. Does the jeweler think they look better on that size stone?? That's another problem too. Just saying... :|

Maybe the OP will be happy with the product of the second try. But you have to think realistically too and understand that it may strain the business relationship more if the OP isn't really happy with the second version either. Okay, now what? A third try? All right... If the OP isn't happy then, it's just gonna be frustrating to both parties involved. :wall: Even worse, the thought of settling. :sick:

I know I sound pessimistic... however, we see this scenario time and time again on PS. OP uses a "jeweler friend" and isn't happy with whatever, but is worried about hurting feelings/messing up the relationship/etc... Womp Womp Wommmpppp... :boohoo: More often than not, the OP tends to cut his losses and ends up using a vendor who is known for executing said style. IMO, it would be a less stressful route to take, as well as ensuring the quality the OP and his FF desires. :halo:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kobeisanexpert|1408764964|3737908 said:
Yes I agree with distracts as well the ring isn't made poorly it looks nice aside from being chunky.

This time around the jeweler we do CAD designs for me first to approve before he starts the work so I can post them on here for feedback. We are doing half pointers everywhere including the shank, slightly angled halo as shown in the Victor canera and narrow claws as discussed in the thread.
Also doing more of a step down loon between halos instead of being so level.

The band itself was squared off but I might get it rounded this time. Will also look at the 1.5 carat on Monday and consider up upping the stone size since people have said I will look better then 1 carat with a double halo.

I am much more educated now and I think with the specifics the remake will good. Everyone on this site has been so helpful I can't say enough how refreshing it is to talk to people who have experience and have been through this.

OP, I hope it works out for you and your jeweler makes a ring you and your FF will love. :))

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
Thanks I am hoping so too. I will get some pictures of the new ring posted once he does the CAD.

We were looking through pictures again today and she seemed to prefer the larger stone with a single halo rather than a double halo. She thought the double halo in some cases takes away from the center stone which is an echo of what alot of people on here have said about doubles. I may end up just asking them to do a single halo to ensure it has that delicate look and doesnt take away from the center stone again. I think a single halo also looks really nice.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you asked, I'd redo it with no halo or a single row of stones at most.

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
Lol yes she thought the single was really nice and then I immediately thought well so did just about everyone who commented here.

I will ask him to do a CAD design with single halo half pointers, still the split shank style though and get him to step the halo down a bit from the diamond. It will have a more delicate look then the double I bet.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, please don't laugh! I tried to airbrush the outer halo just to give you an idea of what a single halo will look like and the size comparison. I like the single halo! I think the center stone looks bigger.

20140818_1.jpg

double_halo.jpg

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
Well in that pic yes because the double halo was just too big and chunky! A single halo with half point stones would probably look really nice and maybe even better then the double halo even though we are putting smaller stones.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kobeisanexpert|1408827977|3738214 said:
Well in that pic yes because the double halo was just too big and chunky! A single halo with half point stones would probably look really nice and maybe even better then the double halo even though we are putting smaller stones.

Oh yes, I agree - just wanted to give you more of a visual. Smaller melee will give the ring a more delicate look.

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
That is exactly what she wants. Just something delicate and dainty not bulky. She said today I'd rather have a bigger center stone than two halos just for finger coverage.

I assume the design for single halo is the same concept and same idea except less one halo. Would I still want to tilt the halo slightly if there is only one?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
kobeisanexpert|1408826382|3738203 said:
Lol yes she thought the single was really nice and then I immediately thought well so did just about everyone who commented here.

I will ask him to do a CAD design with single halo half pointers, still the split shank style though and get him to step the halo down a bit from the diamond. It will have a more delicate look then the double I bet.

Great plan!!

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
This would be the look that would look great I think.

il_159.jpg

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
Should I still ask to have the halo tilted as discussed earlier?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes.

Also I recommend you give him this picture for the shape of the split shanks AND for the proportion of the single halo to the center stone . It is a very elegant split shank. AND it is more in proportion to you center stone size (which the above, while lovely is not):

old_mine_cut_halo_0.jpg

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
I can't really tell the difference between the two pictures is there something specific? Either way I will get him to give me the CAD pictures to post here before advancing.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
kobeisanexpert|1408921770|3738684 said:
I can't really tell the difference between the two pictures is there something specific? Either way I will get him to give me the CAD pictures to post here before advancing.

The difference is the scale. The one you posted in the same design, but this one is a smaller center and will show your jeweler what the design is...but in proportion to a center stone that is similar size to the one you have. It's a more helpful picture for your vendor to work off of.

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
OK i will give him this and the others to work off of and do the design. I am still going to look at the 1.5 carat stone he has available and consider going with a bigger center stone since we are just doing the single halo now. Although I prefer something better then SI1 if it's as you said eye clean and is only a mental thing for me then I'll probably take it. It will give more finger coverage.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a 3 carat stone. That's why I said it's not a good one to show him.

kobeisanexpert|1408850425|3738356 said:
This would be the look that would look great I think.

The one I posted for you is 2 carats or less.

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
Ok so I will post some CAD pictures when they are received. We are going with single halo, 1.5 carat center stone, 1.2mm halo and having the halo slightly tilted and a split shank.

I looked at the larger stone and decided to buy it. 1.5 Carat and it looked great. You were right about the eye clean SI1, I couldn't tell the difference between that and the VS1 under the naked eye, but I could notice that being F colour it was nice and white looking and sparkly.

So the plan is the 1.5 carat stone which is slightly under 7mm. For the halo I looked at 1 pointers and half pointers, but it looked like the 1mm stones were teeny tiny so I asked him to do slightly larger, 1.2mm stones in the halo since we are just doing a single halo now. Do you think that will look good? -- I will still post design pics this week.

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
I picked up the new and revised ring today and wanted to post a picture of it since I received alot of helpful advice on this forum. I described the specs in my last post, but here is the finished product. I am much happier with the look of this ring now!

20140910_175753.jpg

20140910_175739.jpg

20140910_175746.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much, much better! Now you have a larger stone with a smaller halo that just accents the stone rather than eat it up!

I think she's gonna love this ring! What are your thoughts about it?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh it turned out beautifully! The center diamond is the star of the show now, and the single halo will add a nice amount of finger coverage - she's going to be thrilled! Thanks for the update!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Significantly better!!! YAY! Please post handshots!

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Yes!!!
Now it looks much better and it came out beautiful!
Congrats, well done!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a major improvement! Enjoy!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that much better!

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
Thanks all! I am happpy with it too and glad I went with the bigger stone and single halo.

I might have liked the setting to be a bit lower, but it looks good as is.. the sparkle is nice and overall I am much happier with it. Time to move on to the next phase and get this ring on a finger!

Thanks again for all the comments/help/feedback.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is it the angle of the picture or do the prongs look "overwhelming", most prefer the claw prong to be on the "dainty" side", perhaps just the angle of the photo.

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
Well I think overwhelming is a strong word to use... yes claws might have looked better. I also though a lower setting for the center stone would have looked nice but at this point I am happy to have a nice looking ring. It's much better than the original and that's what I wanted. I could bring it back and get it red one for a third time but honestly is that a big deal?...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results