shape
carat
color
clarity

unpolished girdle is this ok?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bogus

Rough_Rock
I have a 1.19 h color vvs2 round h&a ags 0 diamond but the girdle is not faceted or polished I paid $5100 for the ring so I didnt think too much about the girdle but I was wondering what you all thought. Is it important to have the girdle faceted and or polished? does it have an effect on the value or the sparkle in the diamond? the girdle is med.
thanx roni

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Who did the grading report?
Have you had it appraised?

bogus

Rough_Rock
igi is the report, i will be having a written appraisal next week but i did get a verbal and it appraised for 11,800 wholesale.
but i really just want to know what you all think of a diamonds girdle that is not faceted or polished, and what effect it has on
the diamond.
thanx roni

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The reason I asked is that unpolished , unfaceted girdles are much more common in cz's than diamonds.
Was the appraiser seperate from the place of purchase?

btw the appraisal amount is a feel good bogus amount the diamond isnt worth that much wholesale or retail.
I hate to rain on your parade but you have to be careful.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
To my consumer's knowledge, usually stones in the J-L range may have frosted or unfaceted girdles because the white-ish effect of the frosted girdle can help the diamond face up whiter... but I have never seen nor heard of this in a properly graded H diamond.

Experts????

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are talking about a bruted girdle???

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2005 11:33:58 PM
Author: kaleigh

yes.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another question who said it was a h&a ags 0 diamond?
If it truely was and a h vvs2 it would have been sent to ags because it would have been worth a ton more than an igi certed diamond.

The more I think about this the more dont add up but could be nothing.

bogus

Rough_Rock
I am going to very reputable place for the appraisal. Are your saying that if he appraises it at 11,800 he would be wrong?
It is definatley a diamond not a cz.
From what I have heard from other jewelers they say it is not uncommon for about 30% of girdles to be unpolished not sure if
he meant faceted also.

But anyway does anyone know if this will have an effect on the diamond value or the way it spakles?
thanx roni

bogus

Rough_Rock
the jeweler I went to had a something that was hooked up to a computer he put my unmounted diamond in and this machine
for lack of a better word pulled up all its measurements and it came up with ags and gia numbers. sorry if I sound dumb on the wording.
thanx roni

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Jennifer, good insight.

If a diamond shows tangible color some cutters believe a polished girdle may reflect the color back inside. In near-colorless diamonds it's not the concern that it is with K and lower. IGI is not considered as strict as some other labs of course, so it's possible that this diamond would be lower in color if graded by GIA or AGS.

bogus

Rough_Rock
can it be polished and faceted now? if so does anyone have any idea how much that might cost?
thanx roni

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2005 12:02:11 AM
Author: bogus
can it be polished and faceted now? if so does anyone have any idea how much that might cost?
thanx roni

Roni, is there a reason you want to polish it? A polished girdle is considered a finishing touch but is not critical, particularly with med and below. One situation in which you might want it polished would be if the diamond were a fish-eye - where polishing could reduce the effect of the girdle's reflection in the table. However you indicated the diamond had 'AGS and GIA numbers' so perhaps the cut is good? (more info?).

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/24/2005 11:33:58 PM
Author: kaleigh
kaleigh
LOL.....yes the bruted type,not the brutal type.
9.gif

btw; my wife's 5 stone ACA w-band (.25ct ea) all have bruted girdle.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/24/2005 11:40:24 PM
Author: strmrdr
Another question who said it was a h&a ags 0 diamond?
If it truely was and a h vvs2 it would have been sent to ags because it would have been worth a ton more than an igi certed diamond.

The more I think about this the more dont add up but could be nothing.
i have seen IGI rings at Sam''s Club that comes with a little credit card showing the specs and a H&A picture.

mkb

Rough_Rock
Hi,
Jennifer is correct as far as I know. Untill recently we would not girdle facet diamonds J and down, and usually not smaller than 0.23 cts (it becomes pritty tricky with smaller goods). Goods polished from sawn stones one can ''machine'' girdle facet. Lately something seems to have changed, smaller and ''yellower'' goods are being done.
I personally find a nicely bruted girdle more attractive.

luc

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OK, a question for the experts, please.

My new AGS-0 2.36 J/SI2 stone has (according to the appraiser) a polished, although unfaceted girdle. (It looks quite attractive and "finished" to me, BTW. I have no complaints!) But I am wondering -- is this different than a "bruted" girdle? I''m thinking that it is. ???

Thank you!
Lynn

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2005 4:29:59 PM
Author: Lynn B
OK, a question for the experts, please.

My new AGS-0 2.36 J/SI2 stone has (according to the appraiser) a polished, although unfaceted girdle. (It looks quite attractive and ''finished'' to me, BTW. I have no complaints!) But I am wondering -- is this different than a ''bruted'' girdle? I''m thinking that it is. ???

Thank you!
Lynn
Lynn, what does AGS say about it? Is it actually shiny? A polished girdle girdle is not something one would expect on such a large diamond. A faceted girdle is.

A bruted girdle is the natural finish you get from rubbing one diamond against another.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
John,

The cert makes no mention of the girdle. I wouldn''t really say it''s "shiny" (as in "glittery")... but it doesn''t look "dull" or "frosted" to me, either. From what I think I have learned here on PS, it doesn''t seem like it''s a "bruted" girdle, though, either. The appraiser told me the girdle is "polished" - but not faceted. That''s all I know!
2.gif
1.gif
Peculiar?!!

Thanks,
Lynn

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Does this photo tell you anything?!

Namethatgirdle.jpg

mkb

Rough_Rock
Hi again,
Perhaps it could be helpful that I shed some light on bruting and girdling. Terminology can be a bit confusing.
In the diamond industry a distinct difference is being made between bruting and girdling. The rounding in this size stones is generally done in 2 (or more) stages, the first stage called bruting (balancing naifs and defects, and in sawn goods, gaining crown height). This can be done using a single spindle machine (mostly for mb, and being used less), a double spindle (for sawn), automatic machines (driven by a computer chip, video monitors etc) or laser.
After this (and perhaps some ‘table’ work) a stone would generally be ‘blocked’ bottom and top, then the final rounding, ‘girlding’ would be done, giving the final finished look unless the girdle is facetted or polished afterwards.
Girdling could be done by double spindle (using a rotating stick with diamond/graphite ‘button’ for a nice finish). Nowadays this is done a lot using automated machines (as describe above, Elite, Ronit etc…) which generally has a finer finish. Coming up fast and especially in these ‘super cuts’ are ‘russian bruters’ which use a type of scaife flooded with liquid, and is giving a very fine texture.
This is what you may be looking at in your stone Lynn.
Polishing the girdle would be done with a ‘roundist machine’, also using a little scaife but rotating at a very high speed. As stated before by John this is not done on larger goods, and less and less on smaller ones.
Hope I didn’t confuse people even more.
Br
luc

bogus

Rough_Rock
Hi again everyone,
The reason I was asking if the girdle could be polished and or faceted now was because I was getting the feeling like is should have been, but after reading about this subject a little more and after all the replies I have come to the conclusion that there is no wrong or right really. Im fine with what I have. I really dont see anything wrong with it and since it dosent seem to hurt the stone visually then its ok with me.
Thanks everyone for your detailed replies.
9.gif

roni

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/24/2005 11:43:11 PM
Author: bogus

Are your saying that if he appraises it at 11,800 he would be wrong?
Appraisal's can't be 'wrong' because there is no standard for these claims to identify them as right or wrong. The apraised value could be anything at all from $1 to $100.000 and br just as 'right'.

The price might have been good since there are lots and lots of other such diamonds (at least by looking for the available specs for GIA graded ones) being offered for about 6k . If IGI called 'H-VVS' the same thing that AGS might havecalled 'I-VS' than 5k is no longer that nice... but then, who knows, all these things are darn fuzzy and price variations for any refference at hand rather large.

Just my 0.2.

mkb

Rough_Rock
Happy to be of any service Rich
yw

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2005 9:35:34 PM
Author: Lynn B
Does this photo tell you anything?!

Lynn, it’s not a polished girdle. It was likely done on a machine that gave it a very fine finish, as Luc described.

For example, this EOS uses a liquid-cooled scaife to cool the diamond being bruted. It’s connected to a computer monitor that shows a zoomed image and a wire frame model that can be adjusted to the desired shape, has automatic steering and allows no vibrations during operation. The result is an extremely round, straight and high quality girdle.

(WTOCD photos)

liquidcooled.jpg

mkb

Rough_Rock
thanks John,
still up to date in manufacturing hey!
1.gif

hell of a pretty machine they have.
luc

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone, for the info -- and thank you, John for the photo. As I am a very VISUAL LEARNER, it was especially interesting and helpful.

Maybe I should send this thread to the NY appraiser who did my diamond, though... ''cause he even put in the appraisal that it has a "polished girdle". Hmmm... should I ask him to change that, do you think? If I ever have to file a claim
23.gif
would that be important?

Thanks again,
Lynn

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/26/2005 12:36:05 PM
Author: mkb
thanks John,
still up to date in manufacturing hey!
1.gif

hell of a pretty machine they have.
luc
Luc, sure thing.

Brian looks like a simple, wise master of cut from the old country as he loupes and measures... Then he looks up and you see his bluetooth and PDA.
1.gif

Lynn,

Speaking of which, I asked Brian whether you should worry about amending the appraisal. He said "No she shouldn’t worry, but it should read correct... If correct is correct let it be correct."

Then he answered his cell phone.
3.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/26/2005 6:54:29 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

...''No she shouldn’t worry, but it should read correct... If correct is correct let it be correct.''

John,
Thank you so much for asking Brian about that -- but I don''t understand his answer?!
33.gif

Lynn

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results