shape
carat
color
clarity

Unique Settings of New York??

finallylooking

Rough_Rock
SO and I went to look at a Gabriel Co. setting we loved. (http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER7524W44JJ) Then I spotted this- http://www.uniquesettings.com/products/show/23738

The gentleman helping us said that the brand's rings consist of more metal and so they're a bit chunkier. Well I actually really like that...I'm a total klutz and prefer a more solid band. Also, I loved the fact that it had more of an antique look to it. He said they could take out the ugly basket the center sits in to fit a flush band next to it.

The setting price on this was $1400 for 14k and $1700 for 18k. When I got a quote on the Gabriel we liked the price was $2700 for a rose gold band and platinum head. I never got an answer on just platinum prongs. The entire setting in rose gold would be $1084 for rose gold or $1340 for 18k.

So, what are your opinions on the quality of Unique Settings? I'd never heard of them until we started searching and don't know anyone who has one. Would I be better to go with a Gabriel setting?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unique makes a nice quality for it's price point.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I have couple friends that have inique settings of new york that they purchased from a local jeweler and they are very nice settings.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have owned a setting from them and it was a TANK. It was heavy as can be, all platinum, and if it was not stolen I'd probably still have it.

Also--the "head" is the prongs, essentially. The head is what holds the diamond. So the whole head would be one metal. You can have the shank a different metal.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 3 stone e-ring is from Unique Settings of NY. So far I am really impressed with the quality. A local jeweler who looked at it commented that it was very substantial.

finallylooking

Rough_Rock
Laila619|1340810637|3224398 said:
My 3 stone e-ring is from Unique Settings of NY. So far I am really impressed with the quality. A local jeweler who looked at it commented that it was very substantial.

Seems to be the trend! That's one reason its taking us so long to pick a setting. My BF doesn't like the very petite ones (nor do I) for a forever ring because I'm such a klutz and it would take a beating!

finallylooking

Rough_Rock
What are your thoughts on the quality of the small stones set in the ring?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The quality of the stones and the overall appearance of the ring can differ dramatically from place to place depending on who is doing the bench work. Unique settings sells castings-- the unfinished metal that a bench then takes, sets stones into, and polishes up for you. That's not the same the process as Gabriel and Co, who does the setting and finish work themselves in house and sells the final, complete, product to the store/vendor you purchase from.

So the answer is this: the melee quality can be wonderful, and it can be crap: it depends on your jeweler. The setting can be beautiful and perfect, or it can have issues: it depends on your jeweler and the quality of their bench.

I used to own a Unique setting and it was a tank. It was also not finished properly by the jeweler we bought it from. I had it re-finished later on at a different place and I was very happy with it.

If it were me, I'd go with a vendor with a great bench who understands what good melee quality is and who has a proven track record for great finish on their pieces. For me that means BGD or ERD, and both can get Unique Settings in for you.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1340833561|3224669 said:
The quality of the stones and the overall appearance of the ring can differ dramatically from place to place depending on who is doing the bench work. Unique settings sells castings-- the unfinished metal that a bench then takes, sets stones into, and polishes up for you. That's not the same the process as Gabriel and Co, who does the setting and finish work themselves in house and sells the final, complete, product to the store/vendor you purchase from.

So the answer is this: the melee quality can be wonderful, and it can be crap: it depends on your jeweler. The setting can be beautiful and perfect, or it can have issues: it depends on your jeweler and the quality of their bench.

I used to own a Unique setting and it was a tank. It was also not finished properly by the jeweler we bought it from. I had it re-finished later on at a different place and I was very happy with it.

If it were me, I'd go with a vendor with a great bench who understands what good melee quality is and who has a proven track record for great finish on their pieces. For me that means BGD or ERD, and both can get Unique Settings in for you.

ID Jewelry and GOG can also get Unique Settings. I've had good experiences with both vendors.

finallylooking

Rough_Rock

Thank you so much for that! Its extremely helpful =)

How would I find out if GOG would be able to finish one of these well?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
finallylooking|1340835275|3224693 said:

Thank you so much for that! Its extremely helpful =)

How would I find out if GOG would be able to finish one of these well?

They can. Just call and ask for Marie. It may cost more there. If it costs a lot more call ERD and IDJ (both in NY) and ask for quotes from them as well (ask for Pricescope quality stones from IDJ and for the best polish/finish possible from both).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
One last thing. In the style you want, I would recommend Beverly K as well.

This would be my choice of all the settings. I know Beverly K's quality and would be very happy with a piece from them. GOG also carries Beverly K: http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/101PP1/ and http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/102PP1/ I think Pearlmans will discount the prices listed further for PS members so make sure if GOG is giving you a quote they are giving you a comparable one. There is this one as well: http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/61PP1/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results