shape
carat
color
clarity

Unique Diamond Cuts!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm only selecting those with light or little colour, in order to "play" fairly.

glacialicelv.jpg

liquidflower.jpg

lr_brillant.jpg

modern_portuguese_brilliant.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, so I couldn't resist the purple one. :bigsmile:

oblateumbrella16.jpg

optirb2.jpg

pelegrinischerdrache.jpg

raucit14.jpg

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
That trillion is amazeballs

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More "colourless" or white gems which can also be used for diamond cut designs.

renesumbrella15.jpg

saphirschneeflockederanaisis.jpg

sunflower.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
My local jeweler-designer showed me a spirit sun cut diamond recently. This was an amazing diamond. Very, very different look, with tons of colorful sparkle, but the various colored flashes were long and skinny. A wonderful sparkly stone, but it would take me some time to get used to the look. Of course, I wear a 60/60 diamond that is big on white light return, so rather at the other end of the white light vs. sparkle spectrum.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Oh. My. Word! That liquid flower cut! BLINGASM! :o

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When you see some of the truly creative and very beautiful unusual cuts, it amazes me how stuck in a rut most sellers and consumers are in. WIth colored gems, not all the rough material is so costly as with diamond rough so it is a bit less costly to experiment, to wait for the one customer who wants a special shape, and to get the kind of mark-up that diamonds rarely bring any longer. With diamonds, the cost of the rough, the very small demand for innovative cuts compared to the regular market, and the strong price competition inhibits most cutters and sellers from offering the unusual.

A further dilemma for consumers is how they ought to compare or evaluate unusual cut stones? Frequently colored gems are cut by highly recognized artist-designer-cutters who command premium prices way beyond the norm for the quality of the material when cut in a commercial manner. They must compete with somewhat unusual cuts of colored gems which are mass produced in very low cost labor markets and sold in bulk for highly competitive prices. When it comes to unusual cut diamonds, no one may appreciate the extra skill or time required to perfect the cutting. Marketing such cuts effectively is costly and rarely successful. In diamonds, selling unusual cuts means the seller loves to swim against the current in most cases. Sometimes, it is just a way to sell an item that cannot be "shopped" solely on price. One thing for certain, the unusual cut diamond is not a staple of the diamond industry due to many factors. Some are very lovely and some go all the way to weird and ugly. How to compare and value them is often somewhat of a mystery.

When it comes to such a purchase, you buy what you like based on the artisitc and visual merit, not on the nuts and bolts approach to value we are so fond of normally.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for starting this thread - it's fascinating!

Ame - Your Star129 makes me feel like I'm staring into the galaxy or universe, it's amazing! I think the word I'm looking for is mesmerizing.

Going back to ogle some more....

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. Rounds have been boring me to death lately

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
cygnet|1358390606|3357480 said:
The Meteor Cut :love: :love: :love:

meteorcut.jpg

From the website (http://www.crisscut.co.uk/meteor-cut/):

The Meteor Cut was born on 10/10/10. This superb diamond cut has a decagonal shape, and its 10 straight walls are wondefully built of 71 facets. It took 10 months of dilligent work and persistent attempts to overcome the technical challenges, in order to cut the diamond with flawless symmetry, each facet perfectly angled, so that it radiates dazzling brilliance. With its exceptional luminosity and endless refraction of light, any Meteor Cut diamond is easily recognised at first glance.

I want to see an ASET of that stone really badly.

They may call it the Meteor, but I'd call it the Snowflake. So pretty. I want one :D And yes, ASETs on all of them!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the difference between an Asoka cut and a Crisscut emerald cut?

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Fabulous! I'm loving all of the new posts and photos!

Chrono, thanks so much for posting all of those-- they're amazing! I'm loving the liquid flower and the one labeled 'raucit14.' Do you know all of the names of these cuts? Some of the file names have helpful descriptions, but others don't.

Oldminer, thank you for your thoughtful post. I think you touched on an issue that was relevant to my boyfriend and I as we purchased our Octavia. Namely, do we take this rare branded stone to an independent appraiser? How can one judge the worth of something relatively unique that they've never seen before? And should the fact that the cut is so time consuming and labor intensive be factored into its value? Obviously an appraiser would know more about how to approach these questions than I would, but it would be interesting to see if the number we get from an appraiser would be wildly different than what was declared on GOG's appraisal forms.

I understand that the issue of uniqueness and the the possibility of having to wait a long time to make a sale presents a dilemma to sellers. Unfortunately I don't really have any idea how this issue could be solved, except for perhaps larger companies who have more money floating around. It would be interesting if Rhino decided to chime in and tell us more about what it was like developing the August Vintage line and how he generated consumer interest and was able to make it successful. I have no idea how many Octavias have been sold to date, but I'm guessing that there haven't been many-- I wonder if they will become more popular in the future. I hope so! It's a truly remarkable cut. Though it is pretty nice having one of the few and being special. :)

Speaking of which, I should add Octavia to this thread. I know most PSers have seen it by now, but I think it's still relevant to the topic. The pictures are of my stone, of course! As you can tell, I'm kind of in love....

399221_10151278449344449_994610202_n.jpg
imag1303.jpg

p.s. Ame, your diamond is marvelous!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
GemFever|1358448699|3357969 said:
They may call it the Meteor, but I'd call it the Snowflake. So pretty. I want one :D And yes, ASETs on all of them!

Think I could call them and convince them to get an ASET? Probably not.... :blackeye: I REALLY, REALLY want to see it, though.

I'd put that rock in a decagonal bezel, stat. It's so close to being round, but not quite, that I'd really want to show off that shape.

Oh, and thanks Chrono! Off to check out that site now. Yippee!

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
lambskin|1358448872|3357971 said:
What is the difference between an Asoka cut and a Crisscut emerald cut?

The ashoka has 62 facets and the crisscut has 77. I think they look similar at a glance, but I can see some differences if you put the pictures side-by-side. The ashoka is actually a modified antique cushion, whereas the crisscut emerald is (of course) an emerald.

Ashoka loose:
ashoka-loose.jpg

Reese Witherspoon's 4ct ashoka cut engagement ring:
reese.jpg
(holy bling, Batman!)

Crisscut emerald:
crisscutemerald.jpg

Also visually similar is the prince cut.
princecut_0.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
maccers|1358442360|3357890 said:
Thanks for starting this thread - it's fascinating!

Ame - Your Star129 makes me feel like I'm staring into the galaxy or universe, it's amazing! I think the word I'm looking for is mesmerizing.

Going back to ogle some more....
Thanks!!! It is fun to stare into. I love the cut pattern diagram of it too.

In regards to appraisal, I can only speak to mine personally, but Jon at GOG, David Kodner here locally and my local independent appraiser all account for it as a super ideal cut diamond, and it's noted as a modified ideal cut round brilliant. If that makes sense. In terms of "value", part of the appraised and insured value is branding, and the other part is rarity and replacement issue. This specific stone is a VS1, which without a custom cut is irreplaceable without another high clarity stone from the old stock being traded back into the circulation system for this brand. So if something happens to this, theft, loss or damage, I either have to have a precut superideal recut into this cut style by the Star129 brand OR have rough sourced and recut by Star129. As far as what I paid vs replacement value, huge difference. I paid a really fair price (I would go so far as to say hell of a deal!) for this stone, and I love this stone. As far as replacement value...I nearly crapped my pants.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
cygnet|1358390606|3357480 said:
The Meteor Cut :love: :love: :love:

meteorcut.jpg

From the website (http://www.crisscut.co.uk/meteor-cut/):

The Meteor Cut was born on 10/10/10. This superb diamond cut has a decagonal shape, and its 10 straight walls are wondefully built of 71 facets. It took 10 months of dilligent work and persistent attempts to overcome the technical challenges, in order to cut the diamond with flawless symmetry, each facet perfectly angled, so that it radiates dazzling brilliance. With its exceptional luminosity and endless refraction of light, any Meteor Cut diamond is easily recognised at first glance.

I want to see an ASET of that stone really badly.

I think I need this for the pure fact that it was born on the day SO and I started "officially" dating!!! :love:

This is such an interesting and informative thread. I think the point about there being more room for experimentation in the CS world is a great point. Thanks for posting all those CS cuts Chrono!

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
pandabee|1358461173|3358133 said:
I think I need this for the pure fact that it was born on the day SO and I started "officially" dating!!! :love:

This is such an interesting and informative thread. I think the point about there being more room for experimentation in the CS world is a great point. Thanks for posting all those CS cuts Chrono!

I would be more than happy to start a petition to get your SO to buy that for you :razz:

Why can't I find any real life pictures of this thing?! Has no one bought it? I did find a video from Lili Diamonds though, that's really pretty and kind of cheesy, but it uses one of my favorite songs in it, so I approve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8WubmjM__s

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
cygnet|1358461851|3358140 said:
pandabee|1358461173|3358133 said:

I would be more than happy to start a petition to get your SO to buy that for you :razz:

Why can't I find any real life pictures of this thing?! Has no one bought it? I did find a video from Lili Diamonds though, that's really pretty and kind of cheesy, but it uses one of my favorite songs in it, so I approve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8WubmjM__s

It may have to come to that.. :naughty: I did email them to see if they sell to anyone in the US! So fingers crossed!!!

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
pandabee|1358462413|3358151 said:
It may have to come to that.. :naughty: I did email them to see if they sell to anyone in the US! So fingers crossed!!!

AaaahH! Exciting!!

Ask them for an ASET! :wink2:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cygnet your stone is AMAZING :love:

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my local jewelers carries the Eighty-eight cut diamond. They are super expensive, to the point I would never consider one. Other jeweler carries Ashokas and Crisscuts. If I ever hit the lottery I will have a giant one of those to call my own! (or one of each-- ha!)

88-diamond.jpg

ashoka_3_stone_william_goldberg.jpg

ashoka_in_chopard.jpg

crisscut_ring.jpg

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
cygnet|1358462735|3358153 said:
pandabee|1358462413|3358151 said:

AaaahH! Exciting!!

Ask them for an ASET! :wink2:

Of course! I found a video from JCK2011!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idhz636CS3I

And upon further searching, they are actually sold by Lili Diamonds (not sure if the other website is the UK branch or what) and there is a list of retailers on their site! Will be making some calls soon... :naughty:

Here is also another unique one from the same company...Lily cut (clover with rounded petals)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqt3mwgXRuY
lily_0.jpg

And Orchidea cut (clover with pointed petals)
orchidea.jpg

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, that orchidea cut is like 4 marquise all together! How cool!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
derbygal|1358465352|3358180 said:

and i think the lilly is 4 hearts

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
dont remove gave me a good chuckle

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
nielseel|1358470935|3358270 said:

:confused: Do you mean it looks like 4 pears with the pointed ends in the middle? I feel like I have seen settings like that before.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pandabee|1358473956|3358299 said:
nielseel|1358470935|3358270 said:

:confused: Do you mean it looks like 4 pears with the pointed ends in the middle? I feel like I have seen settings like that before.

i see hearts. but could be oval or pears too. its an optical illusion we all see different haha

lily_0.jpg

Fayethful

Rough_Rock
Yes it's round in shape but we're talking unique cuts so I thought I'd throw this one in the mix. I haven't seen it mentioned on any threads here so I think it's kind of a local thing that has yet to take off. I haven't seen a star129 in person but I have seen the Sirius Star 100 and it blew my mind with edge to edge brightness. I personally like chunkier facets and had a hard time making the switch from cushion to round in the first place so I didn't end up choosing this diamond but some days I still think about it.

They have a website that is rather short on pictures but has some nerdy diamond facts about this particular cut.

http://www.embeediatech.ca/features/sidebars/right-sidebar/sirius-star-100/

Their FB page is picture heavy, so naturally I like :)

https://www.facebook.com/SiriusStarCanada?ref=ts&fref=ts

And I couldn't help myself for those that won't go to the FB page, the largest Sirus star diamond to date, 682 carats with melee on the sides over a carat in size!! It's probably just a hair over the average blind budget on PS!

Enjoy, hope it's something relatively new :)

682_ct_sirius_star.jpg

sirius_star.jpg

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
cs_busch said:
Yes it's round in shape but we're talking unique cuts so I thought I'd throw this one in the mix. I haven't seen it mentioned on any threads here so I think it's kind of a local thing that has yet to take off. I haven't seen a star129 in person but I have seen the Sirius Star 100 and it blew my mind with edge to edge brightness. I personally like chunkier facets and had a hard time making the switch from cushion to round in the first place so I didn't end up choosing this diamond but some days I still think about it.

They have a website that is rather short on pictures but has some nerdy diamond facts about this particular cut.

http://www.embeediatech.ca/features/sidebars/right-sidebar/sirius-star-100/

Their FB page is picture heavy, so naturally I like :)

https://www.facebook.com/SiriusStarCanada?ref=ts&fref=ts

And I couldn't help myself for those that won't go to the FB page, the largest Sirus star diamond to date, 682 carats with melee on the sides over a carat in size!! It's probably just a hair over the average blind budget on PS!

Enjoy, hope it's something relatively new :)
Be still my beating heart

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results