shape
carat
color
clarity

Uneventful proposal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/8/2005 10:06:37 PM
Author: aphisiglovessae
The picture is a little small, but it looks pretty from what I can tell. Don''t worry too much about the size. My center stone is only 0.75 carats. He wanted a carat, but just couldn''t afford it. It doesn''t mean you weren''t worth it at all. If you weren''t worth it, you wouldn''t be worth a ring at all, IMO. I''m sure he has a reason. I personally like sapphires (it''s my sorority''s stone), but to each his own. I''m just glad that even though it wasn''t the ring you dreamed of, you still love it and are willing to keep it. I would''ve kept it too because of the fact that he picked it out on his own.

How about this for a matching band?

or even this:

PT30-L.jpg
Something like this is what I have in mind. Although I want just diamonds, no sapphires. I think if I ever can convince him to "upgrade" it will be just changing out the saphhires in the e-ring for diamonds. I wish I could have captured more of the detail in my ring but I took about 20 pictures and most of them turned out blurry; it also wouldn''t let me post a larger sized picture. The channel set diamonds on the side taper off in descending size. I''ll see if I can find the seting on the Robbins Brothers website, where he got the setting.

There is a bit of a story behind the small size of the diamond. My fiance is from Europe (Slovenia) and in his country the e-ring tradition hasn''t caught on yet (damn communism!). So part of my shock and surprise at his proposal was the fact that he had gotten me an engagement ring at all--I wasn''t expecting one. Buying a diamond and then picking out a setting is not at all what men do in his country. He''d only been in the States with me for 8 months when he did this, so I didn''t really think enough American culture and tradition had sunk in with regard to engagements. And clearly my idea that "the bigger the rock, the bigger the love" didn''t translate! Anyways, just a little side story!

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/9/2005 4:47:10 PM
Author: selflove

Something like this is what I have in mind. Although I want just diamonds, no sapphires. I think if I ever can convince him to ''upgrade'' it will be just changing out the saphhires in the e-ring for diamonds. I wish I could have captured more of the detail in my ring but I took about 20 pictures and most of them turned out blurry; it also wouldn''t let me post a larger sized picture. The channel set diamonds on the side taper off in descending size. I''ll see if I can find the seting on the Robbins Brothers website, where he got the setting.

What kind of camera are you using? Does it have a macro mode?

There is a bit of a story behind the small size of the diamond. My fiance is from Europe (Slovenia) and in his country the e-ring tradition hasn''t caught on yet (damn communism!). So part of my shock and surprise at his proposal was the fact that he had gotten me an engagement ring at all--I wasn''t expecting one. Buying a diamond and then picking out a setting is not at all what men do in his country. He''d only been in the States with me for 8 months when he did this, so I didn''t really think enough American culture and tradition had sunk in with regard to engagements. And clearly my idea that ''the bigger the rock, the bigger the love'' didn''t translate! Anyways, just a little side story!

That''s really sweet of him to do that!
36.gif
Do you honestly think that the size of the rock dictates the amount of love? or are you just being silly?
25.gif

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/10/2005 3:56:48 PM

36.gif
Do you honestly think that the size of the rock dictates the amount of love? or are you just being silly?
25.gif

Oh gosh, I''m totally being fascicious! (sp?) I just know a few women who are really into jewelry and think way more of this than I do (like being disappointed by a 1.7 carat Tiffany ering!!!).

Okay, camera modes include: Program Auto, Portrait, Landscape& Portrait, Movie, Self-Portrait, Night Scene, Landscape. No Macro Mode there. I should go find the manual...

I attached a picture of the type of band I''m thinking of...channel set, descending sized diamonds, with a bit of a raised height so that it will match the height of the e-ring setting.

band with channel set diamonds.jpg

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/11/2005 2:21:42 PM

36.gif
25.gif

Oh gosh, I''m totally being fascicious! (sp?) I just know a few women who are really into jewelry and think way more of this than I do (like being disappointed by a 1.7 carat Tiffany ering!!!).

ha ha, I thought so. Just wanted to make sure.

Okay, camera modes include: Program Auto, Portrait, Landscape& Portrait, Movie, Self-Portrait, Night Scene, Landscape. No Macro Mode there. I should go find the manual...

Hmmm. Macro mode would be extremely helpful when taking pictures of things close-up, especially small things.

I attached a picture of the type of band I''m thinking of...channel set, descending sized diamonds, with a bit of a raised height so that it will match the height of the e-ring setting.

aaftabj

Rough_Rock
Funny... you weren''t being facetious.... tat''s the right spelling, which is a great pun when talking about your reaction to a diamond... get it??
Ok, I need to send less time thinking about diamonds and silly puns.
:)
But seriously, I will take these postings as a warning for my eventual proposal, so thanks.

P.S. Why don''t women propose. And if they do, how have they done it, and how do they handle the part with the ring?

Aaftabj

Date: 10/11/2005 2:21:42 PM

36.gif
25.gif

Rebemdee

Shiny_Rock
How''s this for romantic?

He walks through the front door, I''m upstairs in the loft, and yells at me, "I''m ready to get married! Let''s get your ring!"

That was it.

He bought the ring, got it a few days later, he gave it to me in his car, we went to lunch, and then back to work.

At the time I thought, "Geez, this is it?" But since then it''s become a funny story about us, and he really isn''t romantic, and besides, he''s asked me quite a few times since then to marry him, so I figure I''ll get wonderful proposals for the duration of our marriage, as he tries to make up for the rather unromantic first try.

jldunn

Rough_Rock
I''m trying to figure out how to do the whole proposal thing myself. Maybe other guys are having the same thought process I am, which is this....

Man, my girlfriend has high expectations for me proposing to her. She expects it to be romantic and perfect. This is so much pressure. I feel like if I do my very best she''ll probably have had something else in mind or think it''s uneventful. In the meantime I''ve been saving for months to buy her this huge shiny rock. I''m breaking my back here to try to plan some huge amazing surprise for her and she doesn''t make it any easier trying to trick me into giving clues as to when I''m going to get a ring, what kind I''m going to get, how I''m going to propose.

If she keeps looking at rings I''m almost sure that the week after I get one in a style she''s already said she loves she''s going to find a different style, change her mind, get her heart set on it, and then be disappointed when she ends up getting the style that''s not her very favorite. I''m not expected to be just good here, I''m expected to be ideal and clairvoyant. Why don''t I get to demand a several thousand dollar gift and huge romantic surprise from her in order to be satisfied?

Of course I want to do this for her, I just wish I could go into it knowing she''ll think whatever I do is perfect. I want her to not be expecting romantic nights and expensive rings, but instead to be expecting me to do everything I can to make her feel valued. I want to know that trying as hard as I can won''t still leave her feeling unsatisifed.

Sometimes I think I''d rather just shoot low than aim high and be disappointed when she''s disappointed.

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/10/2006 3:32:40 PM
Author: Rebemdee

He walks through the front door, I''m upstairs in the loft, and yells at me, ''I''m ready to get married! Let''s get your ring!''

That was it.

He bought the ring, got it a few days later, he gave it to me in his car, we went to lunch, and then back to work.

At the time I thought, ''Geez, this is it?'' But since then it''s become a funny story about us, and he really isn''t romantic, and besides, he''s asked me quite a few times since then to marry him, so I figure I''ll get wonderful proposals for the duration of our marriage, as he tries to make up for the rather unromantic first try.
I think that''s so cute! It''s so spontaneous! I would love a proposal like that b/c your FI sounded so energetic and excited--what''s more romantic than that?! Who needs a ring right then and there when you''ve got your beloved telling you he wants to marry you?? PLUS, you still got to pick out the ring you wanted. (*sigh*...I''m jealous!
2.gif
)

E B

Ideal_Rock
Harold, don''t feel pressured. All we women want is to feel like you put some thought into it. Whether it''s a special candlelight dinner for two or a walk in a park under the moonlight, as long as we''re feeling loved and special, that''s all that matters.

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/10/2006 3:54:29 PM
Author: Harold
I''m trying to figure out how to do the whole proposal thing myself. Maybe other guys are having the same thought process I am, which is this....

Man, my girlfriend has high expectations for me proposing to her. She expects it to be romantic and perfect. This is so much pressure. I feel like if I do my very best she''ll probably have had something else in mind or think it''s uneventful. In the meantime I''ve been saving for months to buy her this huge shiny rock. I''m breaking my back here to try to plan some huge amazing surprise for her and she doesn''t make it any easier trying to trick me into giving clues as to when I''m going to get a ring, what kind I''m going to get, how I''m going to propose.

If she keeps looking at rings I''m almost sure that the week after I get one in a style she''s already said she loves she''s going to find a different style, change her mind, get her heart set on it, and then be disappointed when she ends up getting the style that''s not her very favorite. I''m not expected to be just good here, I''m expected to be ideal and clairvoyant. Why don''t I get to demand a several thousand dollar gift and huge romantic surprise from her in order to be satisfied?

Of course I want to do this for her, I just wish I could go into it knowing she''ll think whatever I do is perfect. I want her to not be expecting romantic nights and expensive rings, but instead to be expecting me to do everything I can to make her feel valued. I want to know that trying as hard as I can won''t still leave her feeling unsatisifed.

Sometimes I think I''d rather just shoot low than aim high and be disappointed when she''s disappointed.
Harold I wonder if you just proposed in a simple way, she would love it!

I think most girl just want it to be somewhat romantic, but unless you throw a ring at her and say ''Here wear this'' it''ll be romantic....I mean someone wanting to marry you is kind of romantic.

My proposal wasn''t spectacular...it was very sweet and romantic. But it really wasn''t anything special, nothing sweet was said (other than will you marry me) because he got nervous and wasn''t able to say it. But it was special, sweet and romantic to me. My stomach still does jumps when I think of it.

Hopefully she will love whatever you do for your proposal. She''s probably just being a typical girl and thinking of great grand romantic gestures.

Shiny42805

Shiny_Rock
My proposal was nothing spectacular, and it really really REALLY upset me. 1 year later, and it still bothers me.

I did EVERYTHING. I picked the stone, picked the setting, even bargained price with the jeweler, while he stood behind me and rocked back and forth out of boredom.

We got the ring on Wednesday, he proposed on Thursday night, at 11:30. I was half-asleep, he had to leave to go home (we don''t live together), and everyone was asleep, so I couldn''t even share my news.

After 5 years of dating, he could''ve at least taken me out to dinner. It was just so half-assed.
7.gif

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/10/2006 3:32:40 PM
Author: Rebemdee

He walks through the front door, I''m upstairs in the loft, and yells at me, ''I''m ready to get married! Let''s get your ring!''

That was it.

At the time I thought, ''Geez, this is it?'' But since then it''s become a funny story about us, and he really isn''t romantic, and besides, he''s asked me quite a few times since then to marry him, so I figure I''ll get wonderful proposals for the duration of our marriage, as he tries to make up for the rather unromantic first try.

Ha ha ha, that''s so cute. That''s the kind of proposal that you can look back on and laugh about, even though you thought it wasn''t very good originally.

InLuvWithMrH

Shiny_Rock
I love this thread.....I thought I got gipped in the proposal dept. My ex never proposed..it was me saying, "How does this date sound?" My FI now asked me last June after our guests had left. We spent the day telling them we thought of getting married on 7-7-7. That night, he asked me in the bathtub! I couldnt believe what I was hearing, and there was no ring. He said it wasn't quite the way he planned on doing it, but it just seemed right at the time, and vowed to do it again, the "right" way (whatever that is!) I am finally getting my ring...waiting for the wax pics...it should be done in a week...I figured to be more explicit, so told him pleeeease, do not give it to me on April 1st!!
25.gif
The most important thing is to not be afraid to say what you want...sometimes they just need a little coaching.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results