shape
carat
color
clarity

Uncut, rough dodecahedron, ~8 carats... Insight welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wie_immer

Rough_Rock
It's my avatar image, there... as you can see, it has black inclusions. I've had this thing my entire life (more than 30 years, easily)--it was given to me as a toy, perhaps at age 2--I know I had it long before elementary school, and I'd play with it, burying it and digging it up--needless to say, it has not been gently handled. I had always been told it is a diamond when I was a child, and I had no reason to believe otherwise.

Difficult times earlier this year sent me to a highly reputable local diamond retailer (of the sort where they prefer to have appointments and keep the doors locked) to confirm it was a diamond. I was unable to pay for an appraisal/authentication, but the individual who weighed it and looked at it verbally assured me it was a diamond. Many different framed certificates are visible in this shop, diplomas from GIA, etc., so I have every reason to feel that I was given this verbal confirmation by one well-educated and well trained in diamonds and other precious stones. At no time did anyone take my stone to a place where I could not see them or what they were doing with my stone. I spent about a half hour discussing the stone, and having it evaluated at this business. My plan was to take it to a pawn shop where I could get a loan, and then reclaim the stone when times got better. Fortunately, times got better and I didn't have to follow through.

But recently, things again took a bad turn, and this time I did end up at the only pawn shop in the area which would look at an uncut stone.

I know how the people at the place where I initially took the stone handled it. The scales, microscopes, etc. all appeared to be in excellent condition. My personal background is one of chemistry and biology, so I am not a stranger to these things.

The individual at the pawn shop claimed he was certified by GIA, more than once, and talked about his training alot while I was in this situation. I did not see any diplomas or certificates displayed in his office, however. The scale he had weighed my diamond at +.04 - +.08 carats than the place I originally took it for assessment. There was also considerable, rapid fluctuation in the scale. He never did use the stereoscopic microscope to look at the stone, despite the fact it was there, next to the scale. He brought out something he claimed was a diamond tester. It did not look like other "diamond testers" I have seen since (I've explored online to try to determine what it was he had). Apparently the batteries of this thing were dead, and then he could not find replacement batteries. He took my stone with him into another room, from which he claimed he had found an AC adapter (I never saw this); he then told me it was testing negative as a diamond. I never saw this, however, and he never demonstarted it to me.

Then he brings my stone back into the room with a "scribe" in hand. He tells me if it is a real diamond, this will not scratch it. Right in front of me, he takes the scribe and draws it across the stone in one of it's broadest planes. He then tells me it has been scratched and it is not a diamond. He makes a phone call to someone, and has a conversation, and then tells me that if we go to this place and this person authenticates it, he will give me the loan. I am in need of the loan, and agree. When we arrive, he informs me I am not allowed to go with him, he hands me the keys to his vehicle as a "guarantee" that he'll come back with my stone. He was gone for a solid 15 minutes. He comes back and tells me he doesn't know what it is, but it isn't a diamond. He suggests it is a "white sapphire." The inclusions appear to be black carbon to me; I know sapphires are aluminum. At any rate, he apparently made other etchings on other faces of the stone while he was in this secret business, which I only discovered after I was alone with the stone again. I was so shocked to hear it was not a diamond, I did not seek to "deal" with this individual any further. I desperately needed the money, but things were rather "weird," and it was just as well to me to leave the scene. Further, I know nothing about the value of "white sapphires," so I was not interested in discussing the matter further.

I have digital photos of this stone, which were taken prior to ever allowing this person access to it. I'll be happy to send these to anyone who contacts me directly.

My questions/concerns are as follows:
If something is a clear, white dodecahedron with black speckles, could it be a "white sapphire"? If not a diamond, whatelse on earth could it possibly be?

If I am ever able to send this stone to GIA for authentication, and it is indeed a diamond, and what he used to etch the surface is in fact a diamond scribe used to mark templates before cutting, how much damage may he have caused to the value of the uncut stone?

The strangest thing to me was when we arrived at the place where the diamond was to be authenticated, I was not allowed to go along, nor even see where he went. Every reputable diamond institution I have ever known does not operate in secrecy...

Any advice, insight, recommendations are welcome. Since I have had this stone my entire life, more than anything it has HUGE sentimental value. Even if it turns out *not* to be a diamond, the marks he made on the surface are almost like scratches made directly on my heart--so if there is someway I may be able to correct that one day, i'd be interested in hearing about this as well.

I am in central NC.

Thanks for providing this forum!

Richard

Diermint

Rough_Rock
Hi Richard,

Maybe you could ring around a few local dealers and explain your story and I''m sure someone would offer a second opinion.

I''m sure others will offer better ideas but here''s one you could try to distinguish between a sapphire or diamond (I think it is likely to be something like that since it is obviously very hard to remain unscratched after the years of rough treatment).

Diamond has a density of about 3.51 grams per cubic centimetre whereas sapphire has a density of 3.98 grams per cubic centimetre which is more than 10% difference and might be just enough for you to see the difference in change in volume if you drop it into a measuring cylinder of water since you know the weight and it is quite large.
If it is 8 ct (1.6 grams) then a diamond should raise the volume by about 0.456ml and a sapphire should change it by 0.402ml. Not a lot of difference but certainly detectable in an ordinary 10ml measuring cylinder.
This is by no means a great test and would not distinguish between small stones but I''d personally put a fair amount of stock in it if you had nothing else to go by. In comparison, if it were made of glass, the volume should change by about 0.667 ml and this would be very easily visible since glass has a density of only about 2.4 g/cm3.

I''d also like to say that I am very, very sorry to hear he scratched it like that - from my understanding this shouldn''t affect the value but it is sad to see something that you''ve obviously held on to and cherished for so long be damaged so callously.
29.gif
If it were a diamond stylus then it is possible to scratch it from what I have read but it would be a pretty dodgy test, maybe an expert can advise?

Anyway, good luck and let us know how you get on.

Diermint.

wie_immer

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Diermint, for the information, but mostly for the sympathy.

There has been wear on the edges from childhood play and years of poor storage (in a box with coins and other rocks), but prior to the pawn dealer handling it, there were no scratches on the planes--one could rotate the crystal and have these fine, uninterrupted faces of light reflection shine across the surfaces. Absolutely beautiful.

He didn''t scratch all the faces, but he did hit 3, and of course, one of the three was the largest face, and of course, it is a straight, very deliberate mark. On the smaller planes, he made some smaller, more random, straight marks. Wasn''t it enough he had made the single long mark? While talking to his friend who was in the secret lair, he made the remark, "I know you don''t have a scribe..." and then he gave him a somewhat halting description of what he was talking about. Maybe his friend wanted to play with it on my stone? That''s rather what the other marks look like.

If I''d known what he had and what it would do, I would have taken my stone and walked out at that moment. I did feel he was "testing" me for a scam. Since I was confident of my stone''s authenticity, I foolishly assumed there would be no damage--I mean, I know the things *I* had done to it over the years, and it hadn''t scratched it, and I had done my own "diamond testing" as a child.

It was only as I sat alone with the stone--inspecting what had been done after-the-fact--that I remembered the words from the first jeweler, who advised me to store it in a safer place than I had: "Just because it''s a diamond doesn''t mean it''s indestructable: they can be scratched, and they will wear and even crack if they are handled roughly."

Thanks so much for the displacement info. Primitive? Yes. Crude? Perhaps. Nevertheless, we all know that it''s been a gold standard in determining composition since Archimedes :)

Richard

Now to find a 10ml cylinder... Thanks again for that info. Do you know whether the inclusions or the internal cracks would make a significant change in the measure?

Also, until I find the cylinder, if anyone else has any feeling about whether this could be a sapphire, or any suggestions of what substance other than diamond this crystal could be, I''d appreciate it. Again, it''s the stone that''s my "avatar" image. Thanks all.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Herkimer ?

They do have such crumb-like black inclusions, and the pictue could well represent a typical bi-terminated example, like this:

herkimer.jpg
source

If that is a diamond, then... they really made toys glamorous those good old days !

10X

Rough_Rock
"Herkimer Diamond" was my first thought when I saw the avatar. The black anthraxolite inclusions are very common in this quartz variety.

I find it hard to believe that a GIA certified appraiser could not distinguish this difference with a simple RI reading.

You may want to take it to a local rockshop that sells minerals. They would most likely be able to confirm this and maybe show you other specimens for comparison.

I wish you the best.

10X

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to add that if you count the facets ofone of the terminations (points) or the body or center of the stone, there should be 6 if it is indeed a Herkimer Diamond Quartz crystal. Make sure you count all of the facets even the little ones.

This does not mean 6 total facets on the entire stone, but 6 making up one termination (point). You may have mistaken it as a dodecahedron by counting all of the facets. I hope this makes sense.

Also, I think what is most impressive about this story is that you were able to hang on to this crystal for 30 plus years. That being said, I am sorry to hear the pawnbroker was so careless and thoughtless in regards to handling your stone.

lrps

Rough_Rock

Hi

I have a piece of material, which I believe could be a diamond. It feels hard, it has cleavages, it scratches glass, it is transparent to translucent, if I look through against a bright light can see rainbow colours inside, it has about eight to nine sides but I could not find out the correct density, as the tests tend to give different results at different times. It varies from 3.5 to 3.9. I did the tests at home by myself. It weighs 101.8g. It even allows laser light to pass through it. It takes the colour of the light. one of its surface is rough appearing crystallized. On its surface there are yellow spots and blemishes. Inside it looks honeycombed when shone against light, otherwise it appears clear.

I am not sure where should I take this to find out what exactly it is, as I do not feel comfortable.

I am giving here an image of the material for you to see.

I will be glad if any one can suggest what should I do. I live in UK.

Priti
33.gif

mineral.JPG

mdx

Brilliant_Rock

Hi

Its not possible to give an opinion without seeing the stone.
I would suggest visit your local jeweler or appraiser and ask them to test it with a commercial diamond tester. Most jewellers have these little devices and they work perfectly with rough diamonds.
The image shows you what they look like
Johan

dt500c.jpg

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
You might consider submitting it to the GAGB Gem Testing Laboratory (Gemmological Association of Great Britain) for positive identification. A very reputable organization, which you wouldn't have to worry about.

Gem Testing Laboratory
27 Greville Street (Saffron Hill Entrance)
London
EC1N 8TN
UK

Tel: 020 7405 3351
Fax: 020 7831 9479

E-mail: [email protected]

lrps

Rough_Rock
Hi Johan

Does it work on the large rock (over 100gms) too?

Thanks.

Priti

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results