shape
carat
color
clarity

Ultrasonic high or low?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Hey Gals!!!

I have the wonderful Sharp Image Ultras Sonic machine based on your recommendations and I LOVE it! So it comes with High and Low setting and I am curious as to which one do you use?

Should I be worried about High setting damaging anything on my rings? Also, do you change the solution every time? or do you re-use it for X times before making it again?

Thanks much!!!

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
I use the high setting, but I don''t have any pave on my rings, or anything that I am worried about coming loose.

I usually swap out my cleaning solution once a week, which is every 3 or 4 cleanings. I just use Dawn and amonia.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2008 10:10:32 AM
Author: LitigatorChick
I use the high setting, but I don''t have any pave on my rings, or anything that I am worried about coming loose.
Ditto to the no pave. I use Mr. Clean w/warm water; I use the high setting 3 times in a row once a week and throw out the solution. Hope that helps.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
high baby!! i have used low. i usually run it through 2x. i use straight ammonia and microwaved boiling water. i change out the solution every time, only because the ammonia and scent is so smelly strong, we couldn''t keep it in the kitchen with the stuff in it, yak...!!

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, how much ammonia do you use? I ask because my cleaning solution has no real odour.

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, for those of you who have the Sharper Image silver cleaning solution, have you tried using it? The warning about cancer on the packaging, added to the godawful smell of the solution, added to its instantaneous patina-removal, just sounds so ominous to me. After I got the set for Christmas, I''ve since once poured it into a plastic spoon, cleaned all my silver jewelry in one shot, and never dared to open the bottle again. It does an amazing job at cleaning the silver; it''s just that I''ve never seen anything work so quickly on silver!

How do you guys use your silver cleaner? Do you leave it in the little blue container? (I honestly can''t imagine doing that...??)

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/30/2008 12:05:49 PM
Author: onvacation
Hey, for those of you who have the Sharper Image silver cleaning solution, have you tried using it? The warning about cancer on the packaging, added to the godawful smell of the solution, added to its instantaneous patina-removal, just sounds so ominous to me. After I got the set for Christmas, I've since once poured it into a plastic spoon, cleaned all my silver jewelry in one shot, and never dared to open the bottle again. It does an amazing job at cleaning the silver; it's just that I've never seen anything work so quickly on silver!

How do you guys use your silver cleaner? Do you leave it in the little blue container? (I honestly can't imagine doing that...??)
I haven't used it yet, but it sounds just like Tarnex, which I've used for years. Although as you point out, it is such a strong chemical, you don't want to use it often, and I wear gloves when I use it. But like you, I can't imagine storing it in the large tank for the SI; I would put it back in a bottle. With Tarnex, I used a glass jar as the vessel to clean the jewelry, and then just put a lid on the jar afterward, and that always worked out just fine. Probably what I'll do with the SI silver cleaner too.

To answer the original thread question, so far I've used it on high, but I'm curious as to responses as well... Still learning...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use low. I lost a melee when I used the high setting.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use high, but I have a solitaire. Also, I change the stuff every time. I didn''t when I first got it, but the fumes or something make a weird residue on the lid. I''d advise to change solution every time. I use hot water, ammonia, and a drop of Dawn.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I also use high, and normally change out the solution everytime. I may worry a bit about more delicate rings though...

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! I kept it on top of the toilet tank so the sound and smell of cleaning solution don''t bother me. Since of my goodies are solitaire-like settings I guess I can feel better now> :)

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2008 1:07:30 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Ditto for me to everything above. I have since not done that again. I do think that the stone had already been jostled loose and the US on high just put the finishing touches for me. My son dropped my ring and it bouncedy bounced across my counter top. I was just a bit sick when the stone came out. WF fixed it good as new, so no worries.

shay

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2008 10:41:42 PM
Author: Shay37

Ditto for me to everything above. I have since not done that again. I do think that the stone had already been jostled loose and the US on high just put the finishing touches for me. My son dropped my ring and it bouncedy bounced across my counter top. I was just a bit sick when the stone came out. WF fixed it good as new, so no worries.

shay

I think I only used it a few times after I lost the stone. Luckily my B&M fixes it for free but it was annoying! Too bad b/c my EC looked so good have a U/S bath!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2008 11:54:03 PM
Date: 1/31/2008 10:41:42 PM

Author: Shay37

shay

I think I only used it a few times after I lost the stone. Luckily my B&M fixes it for free but it was annoying! Too bad b/c my EC looked so good have a U/S bath!

Tacori,
First I want to say how ADORABLE your baby is! I love that picture in your avatar!!! How old is the baby (girl or boy?) now?
Were you referring to your gorgeous emerald cut with blue sapphire on the side? I have alwasy loved that setting. Did you lose the sapphire when you used UT high?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use the low setting. I use the SI cleaner maybe 3x a week...I''m pretty careful about taking my rings off when I put on lotion, etc., so they really never get disgustingly grubby/dirty and I don''t feel like I need to use the "high" setting. I also have a wedding band that consists of princess cut stones set invisibly and have been told a couple times by jewelers that I shouldn''t subject it to the US at all. So I figure better safe than sorry and I only leave my wB in for maybe half a cycle and then I take it out and scrub it gently with an old toothbrush before rinsing. My rings always come out super sparkly!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
zhuzhu,
Thank you! She was 6 weeks in the photo but tomorrow will be 3 months. Time is flying by! Yes, that is the ring I was talking about but I lost one of the RB melee''s on the side. On the side there is a row of channel set princesses with a row of prong set rounds on each side. I need to take some better macro pics. I did lose one sapphire once (they are channel set) when I hit the ring on the metal part of my seatbelt. Luckily my jeweler took care of it both times for free. I have had the ring for almost 3 years and those are the only stones I have lost. But I do avoid the u/s unless I am feeling daring
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results