shape
carat
color
clarity

uh oh''s! New return policy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/28/2008 10:32:23 PM
Author: Chrono

Date: 8/28/2008 1:04:30 PM
Author: movie zombie
how hard is it to get a ruler out and look at 8mm?

movie zombie
I am one of those crazy ones who draw the actual dimensions on a piece of paper.
11.gif
ditto
35.gif

movie zombie

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/28/2008 11:38:29 PM

movie zombie
I am one of those crazy ones who draw the actual dimensions on a piece of paper.
11.gif
ditto
35.gif

movie zombie
Ahhhh...but do you then cut them out and glue them on a paper setting as well?
19.gif

Seriously though, I bought a ruler just to figure out the sizes of gemstones.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/29/2008 12:18:58 AM
Author: FrekeChild

Date: 8/28/2008 11:38:29 PM

movie zombie
11.gif
ditto
35.gif

movie zombie
Ahhhh...but do you then cut them out and glue them on a paper setting as well?
19.gif

Seriously though, I bought a ruler just to figure out the sizes of gemstones.
I like a caliper-type gauge to visualize the size of gemstones. Just a cheapo brass one, nothing fancy. I just open it up to represent the stone size, and then hold it against my finger
2.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I used to cut them out and stick them on my finger, but after a while you can pretty much approximate in your mind.

Sorry, but the onus is as much on the customer as the seller. Why should they pay for people''s basic laziness?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i get the ruler out, draw the stone shape, and once i even made a setting out of aluminum foil to set the cut shape on! obsessive and excessive?!

Pan, i couldn''t agree more with you: the customer has responsibilities, too.

a small owner-operated business with gems and said owner-operator doing the cutting is running on a thin margin as it is. s/he isn''t seeing the huge jewelry markup like the b&m stores.

movie zombie

Djarum

Rough_Rock
I think its a good policy.

Any of you guys take a look at big box stores electronics policies? Many of them have restocking fees on cameras and TV''s and such. I don''t like it, especially because many times you don''t get the customer service, and the only way is to buy it and try it out.

If Dan is the man you say he is, it sounds to me like he breaks his back to inform the customer. I think if he''s doing that, then he is allowed to charge a restocking fee.

Dj

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2008 10:34:56 AM
Author: Djarum
I think its a good policy.

Any of you guys take a look at big box stores electronics policies? Many of them have restocking fees on cameras and TV''s and such. I don''t like it, especially because many times you don''t get the customer service, and the only way is to buy it and try it out.

If Dan is the man you say he is, it sounds to me like he breaks his back to inform the customer. I think if he''s doing that, then he is allowed to charge a restocking fee.

Dj
He really does his best to make sure that the customer knows what they are getting. I can''t tell you how many emails we have exchanged discussing the stone for my ering. But it''s not just that. When I asked him for pictures of the finished stone, he sent me a video instead. He''s gone above and beyond on each stone I''ve ended up buying from him. He''s certainly not trying to rip anyone off.

Pieface

Shiny_Rock
I''d qualify as a new customer as I have only purchased a couple of stones from Dan so I would be subject to his new policy...

I say bring it on. Dan has been the consummate professional in my dealings with him and I can only imagine that the new policy has been brought in to give himself some protection or more likely to put the onus onto the buyer to be serious when making a decision. Dan has bent over backwards to honestly represent the stones I have bought so I have been happy with the goods.

I have purchased only cut stones from his inventory, this makes it easier to predict what the stone will look like in person. I think this is the best course for the novice gem buyer, however people need to appreciate the limitations of the media and really listen to how the vendor describes the goods. If you have definite wants and specific things that will disqualify a stone from selection ensure you relate them to the vendor so they can specifically address your concerns and wants before you get to paying/mailing etc.

I think some people may have an unrealistic expectation if they are having a stone cut from the rough also. The cutter can give you an experienced opinion of the outcome but until it has been finished it is impossible to say exactly what tone or saturation the finished piece will display. You really are making a commitment to the cutter if you take this route IMO. Provided that the finished piece is of the promised quality and is not radically different to the range of colour/saturation that the cutter has indicated are likely you are more or less obligated to take the piece. I can''t really see how anyone could expect the cutter to take on the commission otherwise
33.gif

I will be buying from Dan into the future regardless of his return policy as he has my trust in our dealings to date.

Pieguy
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results