shape
carat
color
clarity

Uh-oh my husband ruined his birthday surprise and he doesn''t even know it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I want to start this by saying I have the best husband in world...he''s a generous, thoughtful and wonderful. I am lucky to have him...and I''m not trying to be ungrateful...please believe that!

So...

Today we were hosting a large UFC party...I was getting the house ready, and DH said he has a bunch of errands to run--needed my Mazda CX-9. I handed him the keys and thought nothing of it (although his car is bigger than mine
33.gif
).

I got everything ready, it took a couple of hours and he still wasn''t home. I called him, no answer. I decided to take a shower and get ready. As I stepped out of the shower, Mark busted in like his pants were on fire and told me to come downstairs ASAP, it was an emergency. I thought something was really wrong...I hustled...walked into the garage....and tada, there was a brand new Land Rover LR3 for me.

Now, we went to the auto show and I drooled over this SUV...but it was mucho expensive, and I already had a brand new SUV. In my mind those things equal "never-gonna-happen". But, DH decided to do something over-the-top for me.

I was thrilled to pieces for like 5 seconds...but then I got that "oh no" feeling. See, tomorrow morning I''m taking Mark to a private dealer to look at (and buy, maybe--if he wants it, it''s his--I already have the cash) a vintage Jag.

DH told me that this is my "first" 2nd anniversary gift...and that''s wonderful...but I feel like it steals his thunder tomorrow. I mean, how can I seem inventive giving him a new-to-him car, when he just gave me one? I never in a million years saw this happening...he gives me a purse for anniversary (like every year) and I bought him "his & her" matching scooters. I figured I was in the clear.

So, advise me please...is his birthday gift going to be "cheapened" by the fact he just basically did the same thing for me? Should I go forward and still do my plan? Should I scrap it and come up with a new idea? I don''t want to be a copycat...or steal his thunder.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 1:14:23 AM
Author:Italiahaircolor
I want to start this by saying I have the best husband in world...he''s a generous, thoughtful and wonderful. I am lucky to have him...and I''m not trying to be ungrateful...please believe that!

So...

Today we were hosting a large UFC party...I was getting the house ready, and DH said he has a bunch of errands to run--needed my Mazda CX-9. I handed him the keys and thought nothing of it (although his car is bigger than mine
33.gif
).

I got everything ready, it took a couple of hours and he still wasn''t home. I called him, no answer. I decided to take a shower and get ready. As I stepped out of the shower, Mark busted in like his pants were on fire and told me to come downstairs ASAP, it was an emergency. I thought something was really wrong...I hustled...walked into the garage....and tada, there was a brand new Land Rover LR3 for me.

Now, we went to the auto show and I drooled over this SUV...but it was mucho expensive, and I already had a brand new SUV. In my mind those things equal ''never-gonna-happen''. But, DH decided to do something over-the-top for me.

I was thrilled to pieces for like 5 seconds...but then I got that ''oh no'' feeling. See, tomorrow morning I''m taking Mark to a private dealer to look at (and buy, maybe--if he wants it, it''s his--I already have the cash) a vintage Jag.

DH told me that this is my ''first'' 2nd anniversary gift...and that''s wonderful...but I feel like it steals his thunder tomorrow. I mean, how can I seem inventive giving him a new-to-him car, when he just gave me one? I never in a million years saw this happening...he gives me a purse for anniversary (like every year) and I bought him ''his & her'' matching scooters. I figured I was in the clear.

So, advise me please...is his birthday gift going to be ''cheapened'' by the fact he just basically did the same thing for me? Should I go forward and still do my plan? Should I scrap it and come up with a new idea? I don''t want to be a copycat...or steal his thunder.

I don''t think it''ll be cheapened. Both are incredible gifts - and you can tell him tomorrow that it shows just how in tune with each other you guys are, to have thought of the exact same present for one another. I actually think it''s really cute. And I''m sure he''ll be touched and thrilled, and not think that it''s any less of an amazing gift because he got you a car too.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
B.E.G...I just don''t want to take away what he did for me. I know that this wasn''t an impulsive purchase, he''s not like that...so I know he worked really hard to ambush me and shock me. Believe me, it worked. But I feel badly being like "and behind door #2..."

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HE will still be surprised and amazed -- how could he not be? -- and it will be one of those things you''ll both laugh over later.

Now don''t go trying to up the ante at the last minute, or you might end up in an I Love Lucy situation!
2.gif

Gotgold

Rough_Rock
Get him something that will last and keep it''s value, cars generally depreciate (though, you did say it''s a vint jag? maybe not.)

How does he feel about metal? Sounds like you want to spend some cash, why not buy him a 1000oz silver bar? Tell him it''s his new dumbbell to work out with. Fun to have around the house.

I''d be thrilled. :razz:

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Great minds think alike!!! You both wanted to give something special and unexpected. Definitely go through with your plans. He won''t expect it especially after his gift to you.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was thrilled to pieces for like 5 seconds...but then I got that ''oh no'' feeling. See, tomorrow morning I''m taking Mark to a private dealer to look at (and buy, maybe--if he wants it, it''s his--I already have the cash) a vintage Jag.
thought you were buying him a vintage Corvette?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vintage Jag is totally different

plus, it''ll be so cute, like you''re on the same wavelength thing.

I was hanging out with my ex after not seeing him for a couple of months, and I spotted a Hong Kong 10 dollar bill in his wallet. Incredulously, I pulled out my wallet, and also pulled out a HK 10 dollar bill. I was in HK two years ago, and he was in HK last winter.

*Danielle*

Shiny_Rock
It will NOT be cheapened. He will love it no matter what! And in all honesty, he is probably thinking "Yay! Two new toys!" rather than just the one he got you.
2.gif

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think he ruined his own surprise. He''s still going to love his gift no matter what he gave you the day before. You guys are on the same wavelength for sure.
30.gif

Enjoy your new car. Such a nice one!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
"So, advise me please...is his birthday gift going to be "cheapened" by the fact he just basically did the same thing for me? Should I go forward and still do my plan? Should I scrap it and come up with a new idea? I don''t want to be a copycat...or steal his thunder."

How could a vintage Jag be "cheapened" by your getting a Land Rover? I don''t understand? Just go with your original plan and be happy.
9.gif

Lori

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 1:43:53 AM
Author: VRBeauty
HE will still be surprised and amazed -- how could he not be? -- and it will be one of those things you''ll both laugh over later.

Now don''t go trying to up the ante at the last minute, or you might end up in an I Love Lucy situation!
2.gif
Even if I wanted to, I couldn''t afford to!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 1:43:58 AM
Author: Gotgold
Get him something that will last and keep it''s value, cars generally depreciate (though, you did say it''s a vint jag? maybe not.)

How does he feel about metal? Sounds like you want to spend some cash, why not buy him a 1000oz silver bar? Tell him it''s his new dumbbell to work out with. Fun to have around the house.

I''d be thrilled. :razz:
He''s far more into big boy toy''s that metal. I''m not worried about "losing money"...that''s just part of life and car ownership.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 1:57:46 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

thought you were buying him a vintage Corvette?
I originally looked at corvettes. I liked them very much. But a few weeks ago Mark and I were chatting with our neighbor (vintage car guy, too) and Mark started in on jag''s (
33.gif
)...I''d never considered this as an option, but when looking at the two, a jag wasn''t that much more money than a stingray.

Because I''d never considered them, I''d never researched them. And when I did, I found a this guy (locally) selling his vintage, mint condition car. I''ve met with him, had the car looked at, ironed out a price...and now it''s up to Mark. This guy lost his job recently, never planned on selling his car--so always kept it pristine...but now needs to let it go to get some money. So, on top of an amazing find, its also helping someone out. Win win.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 2:52:09 AM
Author: JulieN
vintage Jag is totally different

plus, it''ll be so cute, like you''re on the same wavelength thing.

I was hanging out with my ex after not seeing him for a couple of months, and I spotted a Hong Kong 10 dollar bill in his wallet. Incredulously, I pulled out my wallet, and also pulled out a HK 10 dollar bill. I was in HK two years ago, and he was in HK last winter.
Ha! That''s total serendipity!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I would stick with your original plan. I don''t see how he could EVER think less of your present because he had the same idea. I would think it''s the cutest thing in the world that you guys had the same idea.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 4:02:52 AM
Author: loriken214
''So, advise me please...is his birthday gift going to be ''cheapened'' by the fact he just basically did the same thing for me? Should I go forward and still do my plan? Should I scrap it and come up with a new idea? I don''t want to be a copycat...or steal his thunder.''

How could a vintage Jag be ''cheapened'' by your getting a Land Rover? I don''t understand? Just go with your original plan and be happy.
9.gif

Lori
Worst case: I totally take the wind out of his sails...right now he''s all "look what I pulled off"...and tomorrow I snatch bragging rights. We''re not competitive like that, but I know what I work really hard on a surprise, I enjoy my "aha!" moment. It''s alittle indulgent, yes...but still nice to be able to really surprise someone you love. Big surprises are rare the older we get.

I know I''m just being a worrier, that he''ll be totally thrilled.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 3:09:30 AM
Author: *Danielle*
It will NOT be cheapened. He will love it no matter what! And in all honesty, he is probably thinking ''Yay! Two new toys!'' rather than just the one he got you.
2.gif
I really do hope so...he does love his toys!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 4:01:06 AM
Author: tigian
I don''t think he ruined his own surprise. He''s still going to love his gift no matter what he gave you the day before. You guys are on the same wavelength for sure.
30.gif

Enjoy your new car. Such a nice one!
I''ll let you all know how it goes for sure! ((keeping my fingers crossed))

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 4:51:06 AM
Author: mscushion
I would stick with your original plan. I don''t see how he could EVER think less of your present because he had the same idea. I would think it''s the cutest thing in the world that you guys had the same idea.
I think at this point, 4am, sticking to the plan is the only option. If I over think it I fear I''ll do more damage than good, you know?

We''re supposed to meet this guy at 10am...so, 6 hours till blast off. And, it''s a drive. I am just super nervous and can''t sleep.

Honestly, I just needed to process it. I''m not personally good with surprises, and today really threw me.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GET HIM THE JAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He will love it!!!

Gotgold

Rough_Rock
It''s fun to see different perspectives of different people, makes me curious how you grew up. In my family we had rules: No new cars, don''t buy retail unless you have to, always try to raise your net worth; investments are key.

My family also had a bit of a rough life to get that strict though, maybe we''re just a group aside from the rest.

Well either way, good luck.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
no way will it be cheapened because he will NEVER in a million yrs think you had this and the trip planned. He won't expect you to buy him that vintage jag...this will be a great surprise (I think) and will be something to chuckle over for yrs...what great memories...you both are so much alike...I love that. Have fun with your surprise for him! Enjoy your new car...all is good!
36.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 5:35:38 AM
Author: Lorelei
GET HIM THE JAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He will love it!!!

Ditto!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I understand your angst ... this is a new, unexpected development & it complicates your plan ... BUT: its a total no brainer! Would YOU want to "hold onto thunder" for a few more days -OR- A VINTAGE JAG???!!!!!! I think you''d take THE JAG! (And so would your very sweet & cunning hubby).
1.gif

Enjoy your new ride(s)!!!!!
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What type of Jag is it - an E Type....?
30.gif

April20

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think your gift will be cheapened at all. Both of you obviously pay close attention to things the other has expressed interest/desire in and want to make sure the other is happy. So the items are similar in this case. I don''t think it matters- you''ve put obvious thought into what you want to give him and it''s clear how much you care. I think he''ll be thrilled and in no way will think you''re a copy cat, especially given you''re taking him to look at a vintage car, and not just to a field of new cars.

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
I would definitely still get it for him! I think it''s cute that you both got similar presents for each other and I think you''ll probably both end up laughing about it together. And I think he''ll just be really happy to have a new "toy"!

Barcelona

Shiny_Rock
Hope everything goes great today! IMO, you both picked out cars that you know the other would like, regardless if it was new or vintage. Neither of you said, hey let''s just go buy a car. You each had a specific car in mind and that''s what you got.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
From following along, I would say that your gifting has so much planning written all over it, that instead of looking like you went "oh a car, that''s a good idea" he''ll get that you plotted and planned for months over it. Plus, you can write something cute like, now that you''re married you are thinking alike...great minds and all...Congrats on the happy new car.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results