shape
carat
color
clarity

uh-oh ----- diamond dilemma !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Croí

Shiny_Rock

morning ladies !

talk of a mixed bag of a day -

1. I''m sick (physically!) I got a bad sun-burn (regardless of my best efforts I always get caught out at least once each summer) and was even off work - got ill from it and still not back up to snuff.

2. I''m crazy-wild-mad-NUTSO in love with my hubby (which is brrrrrilliant !) and just sent him a very soppy e-mail to tell him just that. He is SO good to me and was mad at himself (and almost in tears) when he saw how badly sun-burned I was last weekend. He watches me like a hawk when we are out to see if I''m ''going red''. He''s the BEST hubby and I am SO lucky. Love the man to PIECES, I''m telling you !

3. Here is the bit the title of the post is about. I LOVE my diamond, like the rest of you LIW''s who are no longer waiting ......... I still look at it and admire it and clean it and scrutinize it''s every sparkle on a regular basis. So I really feel I ''know'' my stone. I know where the one inclusion is and if I really try hard I can see it (it''s an SI2) but with all the sparkle (it''s also an ''E'' colour) the inclusion is hard to see unless you are looking for it. So, as I said, I think I know the stone pretty well.

WOE IS ME though. I have found a ''line'' - maybe a (gods-forbid) crack ? - in my stone !!!!!!!

I don''t know what to do. I cleaned the ring and scrutinized it from every angle. For those of you who may not remember, my ring is a three-prong white-gold setting. If I look at the ring from the side about a third of the way up the stone, from the point, there is a line right across the diamond. Sometimes it looks like a crack right across, sometimes it almost looks like ... like a drop of water .... so hard to explain ...... like there''s the bottom of my diamond, then a drop of water, then the top of my diamond.

I don''t know what to do or even what to think. Number one I''m still so careful with it - I don''t wear it doing housework or cleaning or anything and I have no recollection at all of hitting it on anything. Even if I had hit it on something, there is no way to reach this part of the stone, it''s ''enclosed'' inside the prongs.

Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions ? I just e-mailed the lady who did the ring for us. She sold him the stone and the designer who made my setting is a friend of hers and she took care of setting the stone once the ring was finished. I don''t know if there is anything I can do.

I''m really perplexed though - I am just not sure that this is even possible ........... am I losing it !?

I can HONESTLY say this ''line'' was not there before.

Croí

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Good afternoon Croi!!

So sorry to hear about your sunburn - I''ve been there... running fever & vomitting from too much sun... it''s awful - just rest, get LOTS of water, and let that wonderful hubby of yours take care of you!!

As for the stone... Are you absolutely positively without an itty bitty doubt that this line wasn''t there before? This topic has come up in Rocky Talky before and indeed I have the exact same line on my stone: about 1/3 of the way up from the culet and yes, it almost looks like a drop of water, but its not a flaw or a crack, it''s just a reflection of the girdle. I am about 99.9% positive that is what you are seeing - although it is rather startling if it''s something you''ve not noticed before. And, on my stone, appears to be more obvious or visible in certain lights so sometimes I don''t notice it, other times it''s quite noticeable. Hope that is what it is!! I will see if I can find any posts that explain this in better detail...

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
aha - ltl has beat me to it!
2.gif

Croí

Shiny_Rock

wow - well I just KNEW you all would know exactly how to direct me !

definitely didn''t see it before but maybe that was my own fault, like those trick pictures where you either see something or you are just blind to it and need it pointed out to you !!

in any case, looking at the photos in that link, this does look JUST like it so I''m sure all is well. I don''t know what thickness the girdle is in my diamond (I know he has the spec sheet, I must have a look) but I don''t really care one way or the other - I was just afraid I had damaged my ring and I really didn''t want to have to tell him that !

one of the reasons I got my setting made (and done flat and simple) is because I''m quite hard on my jewelry. I have been very good with my e-ring and w-ring (not that the w-ring needs it) but I have always chosen heavy, solid jewlery over thin and dainty little necklaces or bracelets. I just tend to get ''dug in'' to whatever I''m doing and don''t consider the toll on my jewelry so dainty pieces just don''t really hold up ~

how could I have missed this though ?? love is blind eh ? even when it comes to diamonds !!!

hehehhehe

thanks ladies !

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh I hopew that it is a girdle reflection. It would be such a bummer to have to search for a new stone and the whole insurence things sound painful to me. The second link in pcqs post has a great picture from DiamCalc.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Girdle reflection.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results