shape
carat
color
clarity

Ugh, pricey class ring purchase!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just spent $700 on a class ring for daughter’s college grad present. I feel so ripped off. . Can I say to you all ( as I can not say it to her), it is ugly, overpriced and frankly I suspect won’t be worn in later years. Jostens class ring manufacturer was around when I graduated high school in the 1970s and I hated class rings even back then! Instead I bought a carat emerald flanked by 25pt diamonds set in 14kt gold. I wore that ring even in early adulthood nearly everyday until it got lost waterskiing.I would have loved to purchase a beautiful ring for her for around the same price, but she wanted it, she loves her school, we are proud of her, and she will wear it throughout her senior year and hopefully grad school. Please help me convince myself I did the right thing…

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s what she wanted so as far as gifts go, you can’t do any better than that. Yeah $700 is a good bit but it’s a sentimental piece and she will cherish it because you gifted it to her.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Awww you did the right thing! I still wear my college ring from time to time- it’s a simple 14k signet style :) it’s a very sweet gift and I’m sure she will wear it a ton at least over the next 5-10 years!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
It’s true class rings are not worn over a lifetime, but sometimes they become heirlooms. I wore my mother’s, and gave it to my niece. And belonging is important to teens. Yes, Jostens is capitalising on the sentiment, but it’s still real. As long as you can afford it easily, I think you did the right thing.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
what do these things look like ?
i dont think we have them here
plus i didnt go to university
all i can think of is the super bowl rings

also isnt a university education already so expensive and now parents are expected to buy a class ring ?

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If class ring existed for my school/university many years ago, I would definitely have bought one.

Hopefully your daughter will cherish your thoughtful gift for years to come.

DK :))

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would have loved a signet ring design…or would have custom designed one with school logo etc…yet probably would have cost more to do this. But her friends all got one. Rather than the blue or green colored cabochon ( fake sapphire or emerald) glass, she went for a mother of pearl stone And no black antique finish so it looks more gold and signet like. Thank you all for replying. You are making me feel like a good mom.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Aw, it's a nice commemoration. It'll likely be an heirloom, it's an important achievement to her. I highly doubt she'll wear it all that long. It'll be nice to take out of the box later, though.
I have my grandfather's signet crest from one of his colleges.
I never bothered, but if the kids ask for one as they finish up, I'll get them one or have one made.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock

also isnt a university education already so expensive and now parents are expected to buy a class ring ?

I bought my own :) I always had a job during the school year and 2 on breaks. My parents helped with tuition but I covered room/board and extras. Mine has the graduation year engraved on one side and the degree on the other, and my name inside.

You can tell from the dents it’s been very well loved! It was my right hand ring for years until I had my kiddos and my ring size went up. I need to either size it up for my right ring finger or size it down for my pinkie.

3C6D43E1-0500-448A-8C8E-A2D8DE5413FE.jpeg

Attachments

• 2FF93C70-D054-4C2C-B89A-A72BC4916BFB.jpeg
    2FF93C70-D054-4C2C-B89A-A72BC4916BFB.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 31

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I had one and only wore it senior year - once I got to college it seemed silly to wear. But others continue to wear - YMMV.

That being said, it is was your daughter wished for and good for you mom to give her that gift. I know it’s hard to do when your passion is jewelry as it is for most of us on PS! If you weren’t a PSer it might not be as big of a thing.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well at least inflation hasn’t affected college rings that much, lol.
I bought mine in 1996. 18k yg mother of
Pearl with .10 diamonds for 550 dollars.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need pictures too. The one @FL_runner posted is pretty tho so I’m agog to see the on that’s pained @lambskin so much!
I’d never thought to wear a ring to commemorate my studies - great excuse for bling but something prescribed is not really a NZ thing.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

You made a great decision!!!! To this day, I wear my University ring when I go to work. Classic signet ring, simple but lovely. I am proud of that ring I earned! (Jostens has the monopoly)

cheers--Sharon

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

You're on the right track with the image of a Super Bowl ring.
1695002292007.png

1695002142792.png

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have loved to purchase a beautiful ring for her for around the same price, but she wanted it, she loves her school, we are proud of her, and she will wear it throughout her senior year and hopefully grad school.

We had the opposite problem. No one has school rings at one son's undergrad. We chipped in to buy him a gemstone ring that sort of coincided with his starting college. It's a gorgeous ring and was a "test case" for a ring for me but with a low-saturation, affordable sapphire. He says everyone always asks him if it's a class ring. :P2

My late father was a penniless kid and got accepted into his city's prestigious magnet public high school. His parents weren't going to let him go because the trolley fare was a crippling five cents a day. One of his older, working siblings stepped up and paid his fare. He went in hopelessly behind and graduated at or near the top of his class. He had a class ring and we never saw him wear it but he had given it to his future wife (or whatever one did back then to signify a relationship). When all of us kids finally got together a few years back to divide up Mom and Dad's "stuff," we took turns and that high school class ring was the first thing chosen. So they can have meaning. A sister had a beautiful, petite ring from her school (college-within-a-college with a close-knit student body) that looked nothing like a "class ring" and she wore that for many, many years.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep that’s what they look like. Have not changed over years. Still waiting on finished product!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just spent $700 on a class ring for daughter’s college grad present. I feel so ripped off. . Can I say to you all ( as I can not say it to her), it is ugly, overpriced and frankly I suspect won’t be worn in later years. Jostens class ring manufacturer was around when I graduated high school in the 1970s and I hated class rings even back then! Instead I bought a carat emerald flanked by 25pt diamonds set in 14kt gold. I wore that ring even in early adulthood nearly everyday until it got lost waterskiing.I would have loved to purchase a beautiful ring for her for around the same price, but she wanted it, she loves her school, we are proud of her, and she will wear it throughout her senior year and hopefully grad school. Please help me convince myself I did the right thing…

I feel class rings are a waste, my daughter wore hers maybe twice. I don't know anyone who wore theirs for more than a year.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just saw a lady at a luncheon wearing hers fro 1970! But hers looks more like a signet! She loves her ring! I have yet to see it.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
My friends and I were proud to get our distinctive-looking high school class rings. A few years ago I went to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription and recognized the ring on the pharmacist's hand. It turned out she was a couple years ahead of me at our school. We had an enjoyable time reminiscing about our favorite teachers from 30-some years before. I still wear my ring from time to time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results