shape
carat
color
clarity

Two new pairs of 19th century earrings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I bought two new pairs of 19th century earrings this weekend (bad girl!!).

This pair is probably from the 1820s or 1830s. It''s jet or perhaps black paste (glass) set in gold, with woven hair set under glass in the center. The wires are new--there would probably have been fancier tops. Some of the jet stones have been replaced with beads that don''t match very well. The design is typical of 1820s-30s mourning jewelry. The hair looks very fine; it could be from a baby or child.

1820sjet1.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
They''re substantial earrings. Ear shot:

1820sear2.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
And the backs.

1820searback.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I also bought a pair of 19th century ivory acorn earrings. I think the wires might be original. I''m not sure which decade these are from--anybody know? I''m guessing the 1860s, but I could be off by several decades in either direction.

ivoryacorns1.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Another angle. One earring is darker than the other, and they both have some discolored stripes. I kind of like the variation.

ivoryacorns2.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Wow, it''s hard to take a photo of one''s own ear! Sorry it''s blurry. At least it give you a sense of the scale.

ivoryacornear1.jpg

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Great finds! Love the acorns!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Last one, showing the uneven color.

There''s also some green waxy stuff around where the finding attaches. I don''t know whether I should try to clean it, and if so, how. Experts, ideas?

ivoryacorns3.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!! But I especially lurv those acorns!!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Up & Blu!

I think the acorns are going to be among my favorite earrings. They''re very wearable. I''ve only had them a day but I''ve already gotten compliments from strangers.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! The settings are gold. But they''re very old, so whatever metal is alloyed with the gold--perhaps copper--is probably causing the green.

I think I''ll just leave them the way they are for now. I don''t want to spoil them trying to clean them.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I really like both pair of earrings! Very unique!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Cool finds! I saw a piece of mourning jewelry that was made with hair and found it very interesting. It''s a bit macabre by today''s standards, but really beautiful to keep part of your loved one with you. The acorns are so unique!

I know that you can use lemon juice on a cotton ball to whiten ivory, it may even out your "stripes." Just make sure to use a water dampened cloth to remove any lemon residue. Also, because ivory is organic, it can mold. That may be part of the discoloration at the top.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 5:24:10 PM
Author:glitterata
I bought two new pairs of 19th century earrings this weekend (bad girl!!).

This pair is probably from the 1820s or 1830s. It''s jet or perhaps black paste (glass) set in gold, with woven hair set under glass in the center. The wires are new--there would probably have been fancier tops. Some of the jet stones have been replaced with beads that don''t match very well. The design is typical of 1820s-30s mourning jewelry. The hair looks very fine; it could be from a baby or child.
glitterata, again you amaze!We could do so much damage shopping together!The earring are GREAT finds!I agree that the mourning jewelry is as you discribed...1820s-1840s...hate to think that the hair is from an infant...quiz question on the earrings
Why do you think that i suspect that one of the earrings was originally a matching pendant?

The acorn earrings are circa1860s-1870s...the green is probably caused by reaction from acids in the skin or purfumes mixing with poor coper alloying.the acorn pattern was very popular in the 1860s-1880s in furnature and metal work.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what fun pieces
36.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Tigian, Shiny, & D&T!

Jewelerman, you think one of the earrings was a pendant because a bail was added, right? Could be. But the other bail is worn very thin, so much so that I''m thinking of getting it replaced. So maybe the other one wore through first and they really were earrings.

I would LOVE to go shopping with you! With you and a zillionaire''s checkbook.

I''m going to post another thread now with a puzzle for you.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 9:57:02 PM
Author: glitterata
Thank you, Tigian, Shiny, & D&T!

Jewelerman, you think one of the earrings was a pendant because a bail was added, right? Could be. But the other bail is worn very thin, so much so that I''m thinking of getting it replaced. So maybe the other one wore through first and they really were earrings.

I would LOVE to go shopping with you! With you and a zillionaire''s checkbook.

I''m going to post another thread now with a puzzle for you.
I didnt look at the photo showing the back of the earrings!Shows that im off tonight on my detective work!I assumed that the worn jump ring was from it swinging or being often pulled on a chain.It does have the one repaired side,so they were always orighinally earrings.Are they heavy?Ive never seen earring jump rings wear through like the one pictured...maybe the original owner/owners pulled on them or wore them that often that they wore the original rings clear thruogh?they are really unique!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I like the mourning earrings.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
What lovely earrings!!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very unique earrings and kind cool too. I find the mourning earrings a bit sad and the Acorns look really fun. Enjoy them!!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I love those acorns! So cute. BTW, what is jet? I have an old brooch with opaque black stones. Wonder if its the same type of material as your earrings.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the kind words!

Michelle, can you post a picture of your brooch? Back and front views, if possible.

Jet is fossilized natural material, similar to coal. It's brittle and light-weight. There were famous jet deposits in Whitby, England, which are pretty much tapped out now. It was highly valued in the 18th and 19th centuries (and before--John Donne wrote a famous poem about a jet ring in the 17th century), so imitations were made from many substances, including glass, black onyx, gutta percha (a form of rubber), Vulcanite (an early, plastic-like rubber derivative), horn, bog oak...long list. It's not easy to tell them apart.

I'm not sure my earrings are real jet--they could be onyx or glass--but I am sure they're pre-1850 and I'm sure the center is hair.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results