shape
carat
color
clarity

Two little Mahenge spinels and advice on setting please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK I have horrible drawing skills - hopefully you'll understand the idea
This one is simply the stone surrounded by high-carat yellow gold with small "round balls" - you can browse Nehama website. Jewelry by Avara Yaron to get an idea. I looked at his pieces - they are gorgeous and prices are affordable. Gold. No diamonds.

projringspin1.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next one - an E-W oriented ring, with two diamond bangs on top and bottom, ending up in "tails" the end of tails may be smaller (pointed) - then you'll have to select diamonds which may be more expensive or it may be just "cut"
Stone in center
The "tails" may be shorter or more rounded around the ring - they just optically elongate the ring
It may be also set N-S
I think these designs are quite popular these days; seen many of them

projspin3.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gold rims on top and bottom, ending with small "tails", with tiny diamonds or other stones between the stone and the rim

projringspin22.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
God, it is so difficult. I do not know how to explain it better, and I hope you can make corrections for my drawings

1001smiles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/31/2010 5:26:03 PM
Author: crasru
God, it is so difficult. I do not know how to explain it better, and I hope you can make corrections for my drawings
Thanks, crasru.
So you mean kind of like this, but with diamond melee following the shank and the curve around the center? That could be elegant...
BTW, did you learn to write in Russian first? My friend has handwriting just like yours.
1.gif

Adwar 23182L.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I just wanted to leave small curved "tails" on the sides but the way yours looks is much more elegant. I think with the melee, it will look much nicer. And I do not always set the stones absolutely the same way, even if it is a set. I think difference is fun!

And yes, they taught us cursive ad nauseatum. Also, mathematics. What my son is studying at the U (he is majoring in economics and math.) we did during our last year of school

1001smiles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/31/2010 5:44:02 PM
Author: crasru
Yes, I just wanted to leave small curved ''tails'' on the sides but the way yours looks is much more elegant. I think with the melee, it will look much nicer. And I do not always set the stones absolutely the same way, even if it is a set. I think difference is fun!

And yes, they taught us cursive ad nauseatum. Also, mathematics. What my son is studying at the U (he is majoring in economics and math.) we did during our last year of school
I like your idea, but I wonder if it would look better with a larger oval, like a 6x8mm. I''ll keep it in mind, thanks.

I learned to write in Russian first as well and used to have good handwriting. Unfortunately, I''ve been mostly typing for the last decade, so now nobody (often including myself) can read my handwriting. Oh well...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2010 6:45:22 PM
Author: 1001smiles
Any thoughts on his setting from an Etsy designer Laurie Sarah? http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=29505293

Too much pink? Too much in general? Do you think this will enhance the look of the spinel or instead compete and overwhelm it? Any thoughts would be much apprecited. Thanks.

I think the only kind of pink stone I would put in a pink gold mounting is one that can get pinker from the gold like a light pink diamond for example. For that stone, I don''t think it needs rose/pink gold, and I think the pink sapphires would be a little too distracting, although that is quite a beautiful setting.

1001smiles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/31/2010 6:52:05 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 3/31/2010 6:45:22 PM
Any thoughts on his setting from an Etsy designer Laurie Sarah? http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=29505293

Too much pink? Too much in general? Do you think this will enhance the look of the spinel or instead compete and overwhelm it? Any thoughts would be much apprecited. Thanks.

I think the only kind of pink stone I would put in a pink gold mounting is one that can get pinker from the gold like a light pink diamond for example. For that stone, I don''t think it needs rose/pink gold, and I think the pink sapphires would be a little too distracting, although that is quite a beautiful setting.
Thanks for your feedback, TL.
Here''s a photo of another ring Laurie is selling, with a 5x7 pear rubellite. It gives a better idea of how a pink stone will look with a pink halo. Still distracting?
I e-mailed Laurie with a few questions. Also e-mailed BGD for some ideas (it was a pleasant surprize that Jamie now works there). Any other suggestions are welcome!
Thanks again.

LaurieSarah-pear.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone is not as vivid as your stones, and it's a purplish pink. It's very similar to the color of the border of the photo. I think amethysts and other stones with a purple cast look nice in rose gold. Mahenges, in my particular limited experience, are a brighter and more vivid pink (the good ones anyways), so I don't think they benefit that much from Rose gold, but maybe someone can do a photoshop for you to find out for sure.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2010 7:05:19 PM

Here''s a photo of another ring Laurie is selling, with a 5x7 pear rubellite. It gives a better idea of how a pink stone will look with a pink halo. Still distracting?

I e-mailed Laurie with a few questions. Also e-mailed BGD for some ideas (it was a pleasant surprize that Jamie now works there). Any other suggestions are welcome!

Thanks again.

I love this pear setting.. but the rubellite is quite a different shade of purple/pink than your spinels.. I think I would still like your spinel in a setting like this though..

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks nice, and she has affordable prices. I can judge the quality of her diamonds, though.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Although Crasru had some nice ideas, I don't think they would work as well with stones this small. Especially the precision cut one - diamonds in the tail would have to be the smallest you could possibly find, probably those of less than half a point. And then you'd end up spending a lot of money on a custom setting job, only to get your stone surrounded by almost microscopic white crumbs that have virtually no sparkle. So, it seems lovely in theory, but practice would probably result in something much less impressive. The one with the gold balls on the other hand, could totally work and I think it would look very nice.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Those are both gorgeous stones 1001smiles but have to agree that the stone from Gene definitely steals the limelight when next to your other spinel.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results