shape
carat
color
clarity

Twilight Topaz?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BleedingGem

Rough_Rock
I seen this gem and I love it..... I have a question though... I seen that some of you are saying that Kunzite fades if exposed to sunlight all the time... my question is, does Twilight Topaz also fade with light or over time? Thanks all

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A brief history of various coated topaz:
Mystic topaz: combination of purple, red and green with different colours showing when viewed from different angles.
Mercury mist topaz: combination of pink, white and blue.
Twilight fire topaz: combination of orange, pink and yellow.
Neptune garden topaz: combination of blue, green and purple.
There are also other unnamed coated topaz which show bright pink, old stones and orange as individual coloured stones.

Coated topaz generally are quite stable and do not fade. They will, however, show their true colour underneath, if the coating is scratched off.

BleedingGem

Rough_Rock
thank you very much for the info....great lesson...

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
I think this is one of the coated topaz like mystic. Essentially, they take clear topaz and put a very thin coating of various substances on it (usually metals of some type) to give it the iridescent shimmer and color.

I haven''t ever heard about fading but the coating will scratch off over time because it is only on the surface. The gems cannot be recut either for the same reason.

BleedingGem

Rough_Rock
so then i guess i should invest the money in getting this gem if over time it WILL just scratch away...

darn it.. i wanted to pass this down to my family years later... guess not...
33.gif

tonygemma

Rough_Rock
Most of the coated topaz I''ve seen have the coating on the pavillion of the stone. As long as the setting does not expose this part of the gem normal wear should not cause the coating to scratch off. Don''t use any abrasive cleaners on it and it should last a long time. Just realize that its not an investment gemstone and enjoy it for what it is.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BleedingGem - Coated topaz is very very very cheap. Not something that you would pass down through the family unfortunately. Even though these are coated on the pavillion, it unfortunately doesn''t stop it wearing away. I saw one being sold once that had been scratched as it was being set and it basically had an area of no colour at all.
23.gif

BleedingGem

Rough_Rock
well then what gems do i want to pass down? i dont'' want to pass down anything that i shouldn''t then..

Thanks all for the input

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People usually pass down stones or jewellery that are very special; something with great sentimental value or of very fine untreated colour. It doesn’t have to be an expensive stone either.

BleedingGem

Rough_Rock
ohhh... ok.. thanks, i want my kids to have later on to have EVERYTHING i buy... .... so that is good to know

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
i think this is closely tied into the other thread about investment...

while durability is a significant consideration if you are thinking ahead to passing something down, keep in mind that there is little way to predict want stuff your descendants will want when you''re gone. value can be important but the things your grandkids are likely to cherish the most are the things they see you wear everyday or remember from your home. for me that means a cast gold good luck charm and a plastic music box that plays ''feelings.'' just a thought...

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I road tested some coated topazes a while back. Now - all coatings may not be the same, so take this for what it is, one person''s testing....

As a ring with daily wear, I began to see wear to the coating almost immediately. The earrings I set lasted quite a long time while I took careful care of them, but leaving them out on the counter, etc. soon took a toll. That coating is far from eternal, but if you love it and put in in a protective setting, and take good care of it, it should work out for you.

Don''t overpay - it''s very inexpensive.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the above.

For inherited jewelry I like durable stones, gold or silver metals and the memory of the person wearing it.

Personally I would focus on durable stones; diamond, sapphire, ruby, chrysoberyl, spinel. But since Garnets are my birthstone and I like Amyth. I''ve bought some of those too.
21.gif

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results