shape
carat
color
clarity

Tuxedo shirt studs and cufflinks -- are they supposed to match?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to get the HH some fun cufflinks but I don''t know about the shirt studs -- are they all supposed to be the same? That seems a bit *much* to me but maybe I''m just not "in the know" LOL.

Oh, and while we''re at it, if you''ve ordered cufflinks from anywhere that you''ve been happy with please let me know that too.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
usually cufflinks and studs come in a "dress set". I have seen where they are all identical, or sometimes where they are in the same spirit, like if they are Onyx and MOP, then they may have larger cufflinks with a similar design and the dress studs smaller or simpler.

You don''t have to be matchy-matchy, but IMHO they should look like there is some sort of cohesion between them...

Any ideas what you want them to look like? Good luck!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m looking for some for Greg as well. Most people I have seen with tuxes on do have matching studs and links OR a more unique set of cuffs and ''basic'' kind of studs, but I wouldn''t get too mixy matchy because then to me it''s like wearing stripes and plaids at the same time!

RedEnvelope has some beautiful semi-precious stone cufflinks but no studs. I have a hard time finding ''sets'' that I like...so I might just settle for a basic silver and mother of pearl set for Greg, but I LOVE the blue ceylon cabachon cufflinks that RE has right now, too bad no studs.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right now the whole set is just a black circle (I hate to say onyx becuse they were to cheap that I''m sure they aren''t!) with a tiny gold yellow gold rim around them. My thought was that I could leave the shirt studs alone and get some cufflinks that had some yellow gold to them? But something "interesting." Tiny Elvises playing the guitar... martini glasses... ???

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Mara, I think cabochon on a dress set would be hard since they tend to be so small, and perhaps if they were to be secured properly would have to be bezeled, and that might make them larger than needed, or cumbersome due to being a but bulkier for the cabochon to fit through the shirt hole, but that certainly would be lovely....

Dee*Jay: I think I have only seen inexpensive formal dress sets (online I think about $40 or so), or the pricier ones with gemstone or diamond. The reason I figure is either a man wears them once and doesn''t matter if they are disposed of (and at $40 that is minimal), versus a man who wears them often for blacktie, so they are investments, possibly handed down from father to son.

In estate, Cartier is known for their impressive dress set, along with others, but I usually see many french designers create gemstone dress sets in a Cartier fashion. Even at an inexpensive estate dealer, these gemstone dress sets will be within the thousands from $1,000-10,000+. I have seen a very simple pair of gold nautical knots go for about $2K. I once heard of silver, but I would think that would tarnish and eventually dirty the shirt, so I am not a fan of the idea myself...

The only other route I can think of is custom, but that will cost for labor, which is why gemset set will be at least $1K.

I say try something inexpensive, so he can use them maybe once, twice at most. I am not sure of his usage, but they are durable, and certainly found at most places that sell tuxedos. Good luck!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL Nicrez, those ones you selected are quite the bees knees! I might however take a gander around the site a bit to see if there are any others.
2.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock

chiefneil

Shiny_Rock
Cufflinks are one of those little hidden areas where guys can express themselves a little. IMHO they don''t need to match. Get your guy some beautiful high-quality links with a bit of character. Nobody looks at or notices cufflinks except the guy actually wearing them, and possibly other guys who couldn''t decide if they should match or not and are checking everybody else''s out. So get something he''ll really like and enjoy looking at.

It''s been ages since I''ve bought any, but Nieman Marcus and Saks used to have great collections. And after other jealous guys see your guy, they''ll tell their DW''s, "See, I told you they didn''t have to match".

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking for cufflinks is as bad as looking for ring settings!!! I''ve been on the web for HOURS...

As soon as I said that his current set was black with a yellow gold rim it occured to me that maybe it WASN''T yellow gold so I set off in search of his set. No luck. Where could that man hide those stupid things? I ransacked his closet, damn near breaking my neck trying to get up to the top shelf, but I can''t find them. And of course I don''t want to *ask*. Sigh.

Just to have something to give him I ordered some tiny champagne bottle ones, but he won''t have his tux on until New Year''s Day (unless we get invited to something else formal in the mean time) so I can plan for next year.

Thanks for the Tiffany idea Sharon. There are a lot of ones I like on there but I don''t want to buy until I know what metal. I could just get him a new set of studs too to be safe, but that would be WAY to easy, LOL.

Chiefneil, we''ve got both a Neimans and a Saks just a few blocks from here so I''ll check those out too just in case something catches my eye.

Mara, what silver and MoP set are you thinking of?

And Nicrez, you are a fun gift finder!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I like my cufflinks as gifts, so I don't often buy them, and the ones I have where impulse buys from antique shops...
11.gif

But in the past, these are places I have gotten some (usually just for work, simple and boring I am afraid!)
7.gif
:

Thomas Pink has some cute ones:
Thomas Pink

And Charles Tyrwitt:
Charles Tyrwhitt

Or another website with quirky cufflinks:
31.gif

http://www.executivegiftshoppe.com/sucu.html

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results