shape
carat
color
clarity

TTC-Baby preparations

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Prenatal vitamin and cutting back on green tea and caffeine.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Since I work in employee benefits, my list is probably different then just the mommy side of things...

Check your health insurance deductibles. My SIL is now "broke" because they have a high deductible plan and her planned pregnancy is spanning 2 calendar years, so they''re stuck with the deductible twice. If your company offers a FSA or HSA sign up for at least the amount of the hospital costs.

Check what short-term disability insurance options you have. CA, NY, NJ and RI all have state plans, and most employers offer plans you can purchase, but they usually have to be in effect before you are diagnosed pregnant. Also, these insurance plans usually only pay out 6 weeks off for normal deliver, and 8 weeks for c-section, so they won''t cover the full 12 weeks FMLA leave.

Ask what the leave policies are where you work and for your DH.

If you will return to work, check into the cost of child care in your area. I had a co-worker that had gone as far as starting fertility treatments, then dicovered the cost of daycare and stopped TTC when she realized how expensive it is.

Talk to your doctor, like others have mentioned. My doc told me to go off BC and take prenatals for 3 months before TTC.

Don''t be afraid to call your HR department and ask all the "what if" questions. I much prefer to answer those ahead of time than when it''s too late to make changes.

And last, run a budget. Be sure to include formula (just incase), diapers, child care (if needed), and health insurance for the baby. Then you won''t be so shocked when the money starts flying out the window when the baby arrives
20.gif
. (it actually hasn''t been as bad as I feared
2.gif
)

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Snlee-look up green tea. GT is a known folk remedy for assisting with conception. It''s one of those stick to two cups/day things.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2010 4:32:50 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Snlee-look up green tea. GT is a known folk remedy for assisting with conception. It''s one of those stick to two cups/day things.
That''s what I thought at first too then I read it can decrease the absorption of iron, folic acid, and other nutrients and increase the risk of neural tube defects such as spina bifida. In moderation it may be okay to drink but I just erred on the side of caution.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i didn't make any preparations at all as we were SUPPOSED to be just practicing.
3.gif
but the one thing i would do differently is take a prenatal if we'd even had an inkling of trying. in one of our classes we learned that the neural tube is actually fully formed and connected by i think day 27, so when most people are just finding out they are even pregnant or missing a period, the cord is pretty much formed and connected (or not). so starting vitamins for folic acid THEN like i did wouldn't have helped with any neural tube or spina bifida issues. if i did it again, i would prob start a cycle before trying.

also...definitely look into your insurance and make note of when open enrollment is, and when changes can be made, also what your coverage is (aka 90/10 or 95/5). we had HMO anyway but if we didn't i would have switched for pregnancy and i tell any of my friends who are thinking about kids to look into it. PPO would have been a fair amt more expensive at this point and if we had to have a c-section or a preemie etc, PPO can really add up depending on your insurance. i am a fan of HMO anyway, i have done both, but just prefer HMO. i have also been really impressed with my HMO for prenatal when i didn't really expect to be.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2010 11:16:47 PM
Author: snlee
Date: 1/6/2010 4:32:50 PM

That''s what I thought at first too then I read it can decrease the absorption of iron, folic acid, and other nutrients and increase the risk of neural tube defects such as spina bifida. In moderation it may be okay to drink but I just erred on the side of caution.

I heard that to, re the malabsorption of FA and Iron. From what I can tell you''re only supposed to have a small amount on certain days of your cycle.

So much of this stuff is hokey. I keep expecting someone to tell me to kill a chicken and bury the head next to an egg during a blue moon on the fourth Thursday of the seventh month in the midst of a meteor shower.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 7:23:14 AM
So much of this stuff is hokey. I keep expecting someone to tell me to kill a chicken and bury the head next to an egg during a blue moon on the fourth Thursday of the seventh month in the midst of a meteor shower.
what?!? you haven't done this yet?!?

we do this all the time in my hometown of Smallville.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results