shape
carat
color
clarity

Tsavorite or spinel...how do you choose one?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I finally have some extra cash to use on jewelry. I''m already having a diamond set into a three stone ring and maybe an eternity band ( I''m getting a few things because this is it for a while) and I think I''ll have enough to set a colored stone and maybe even buy a smallish 6mm red/pink spinel or a tsavorite. But I can''t decide which one I want more!!! Spinel has the advantage of being a slightly harder stone. Red and green are two of my favorite colors and I often wear both, not at the same time though. Both look good with my skin tone too. I just can''t make up my mind
7.gif

Oh and I know I could have used all my money to buy one really fantastic item but I like having lots of things because I love to accessorize, mix and match jewelry etc.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
Tsavorite! But that may be just because I have two teeny ones winging their way to me as we speak. So I have tsavs on the brain.
3.gif

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
A red spinel would be more rare so it gets my vote. Plus I like spinels a lot.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Tsavorite

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 3:04:44 PM
Author:innerkitten

Oh and I know I could have used all my money to buy one really fantastic item but I like having lots of things because I love to accessorize, mix and match jewelry etc.

Me too!
5.gif

I love both tsav & red/pink spinel, so don''t think I can choose between the two either....

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 7:00:50 PM
Author: virgoruby
Date: 2/15/2010 3:04:44 PM

Author:innerkitten

Me too!
5.gif

I love both tsav & red/pink spinel, so don''t think I can choose between the two either....

I know it''s so hard!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Spinel.

Duh.
3.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote tsavorite because I love garnets :)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tsavorite.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''d get whichever you find first that pleases you.
2.gif

I got my red spinel last year, and this year I''m looking for a nice green stone. I love both of those colors as well.

Will enjoy following your search.
1.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If you''d like it larger for the same price get a tsavorite, if you''d like something smaller but more special and rare, get a spinel. If you''d like to wear it more, spinel is a safer bet due to higher durability. Which color would you get more out of is also a factor. Hope this helps
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You are more likely to find a nice green over a pink/red spinel. It seems that red/pink spinels aren’t as easy to find these days and unless you go the route of a Mahenge, you’ll have to watch out for extinction and brown/gray undertones. Maybe green now and red/pink in the future?

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I would pick a tsavorite because I love green and I just bought one from Swala. Ditto to everything Chrono said.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2010 7:42:22 AM
Author: Chrono

You are more likely to find a nice green over a pink/red spinel. It seems that red/pink spinels aren’t as easy to find these days and unless you go the route of a Mahenge, you’ll have to watch out for extinction and brown/gray undertones. Maybe green now and red/pink in the future?

Ditto.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Considering what I''ve seen out there, you may have an easier time getting a tsav than a red spinel. (anything is possible of course!) I do believe that dana at mastercutgems has a pinkish red spinel still, but you may want to double check that.

-A

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for giving me a few things to think about!

Chrono, I didn't realize finding a nice pink/ red would be that hard. I'd seen so many nice ones here lately on PS I figured they had become more abundant this past year or something. And I thought now might be a good time to get one.

Ma re, So you're saying I'd get more bang for my buck with a tsavorite. I'm always thought they were pricier. I guess I haven't looked around in a while.

I've never looked at her site Arcadian, I'll check it out.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
InnerKitten,
The pink/red spinels posted lately on PS are all Mahenge spinels, meaning they come from the Mahenge area of Tanzania which is a relatively new find. They tend to be more pink than red and also have better saturation than regular red/pink spinels. They are also well known to not have extinction issues common to most regular red/pink spinels which is another great plus. I’ve seen Multicolour, AJS, Swala and GemTrader carry a nice selection. Precision cutters like Gary, Gene and Lisa also seem to have some Mahenge rough.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Interesting. Thanks Chrono!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would personally go for green before red. But I think that the advice to search for both and pick the stone that meets all your needs that you find first is a good way to choose.

Just so you know, Dana at Mastercut gems is a guy.

Have fun!!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Oh. I''ll remember that about Dana. It happens to me a lot too because my name is Casey so people think I''m a guy all the time even though I''m not.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results