shape
carat
color
clarity

tsavorite opinion/feedback required

Mlunzer

Rough_Rock
Hi, would like to buy a Tsavorite and have just two options left. My favorite is the slightly bluish Green Emerald Cut Tsavorite. The second option is a slightly brighter yellowish Green prolonged cushion cut. What is your opinion? What would you prefer. I heard that blue as secondary color is quite attractive and better than yellow... I would like to use the January -15% sales offer for Garnet, so I will decide today... thanks for feedbacks

_38967.jpg

_38968.jpg

alt_1.jpg

alt_2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neither appeal to me. The first is due to the very poor cutting, the second is because of the colour and although the cut is nice, the blockiness bothers me (too much dark vs light areas)

Chrono|1485866569|4122211 said:
Neither appeal to me. The first is due to the very poor cutting, the second is because of the colour and although the cut is nice, the blockiness bothers me (too much dark vs light areas)

Chrono, just for my understanding, when you judge a gem like this, do you first look up its price online and then set it into relation to the plus and minus of its quality? Or do you 'simply' look at the photos and say whats good or not? I haven't looked up the prices of these gems, but if one would be only half the cost of the other, or 75% below 'normal' marketprice, should that not qualify a statement? What is the standard process here? I'm not criticizing, on the contrary, I'm baffled how much you can see in a photo.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone has his/her own purchasing criteria, therefore I do not believe there is a 'standard' approach as such.

For CS, I would look at the colour first. This is usually the case as I tend to go down the custom cut route for the more expensive stones.

I would approach a cutter with a specific colour in mind, and ask if he/she has any roughs available, then discuss cut and finished stone weight to determine the price etc...

For CS already cut, I would look at colour first, then cut, then size, then inclusions, and finally the price.

DK :))

Mlunzer

Rough_Rock
Chrono, thanks for the feedback. The cut is poor :(. The seller states an excellent cut... in videos on the homepage there are no dark and light areas, it is completely without spot/zoning. It seems to reflect the camera... I attached more photos for my favorite stone and hope the feedback gets a bit better... I got additional pics but there are at home. The stone is in symmetry, I asked for it because in the picture it seems to have a different height...

tsa3.jpg

_38969.jpg

tsa5.jpg

tsa6.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I looks straight down the table, it's nothing but a huge window.

Norman,
Colour first, very good cutting (not necessarily precision), and go from there. If budget is an issue, I'd rather sacrifice some size, but not too much. Others might have different priorities.

Mlunzer

Rough_Rock
Hi Chrono, thanks for the comment. I definitely would like to avoid buying a stone with a huge window. How can I see that. Might it be just in the picture. I just read very positive comments on lapigems.com, where the stone is listed. I have a video, how can I see in the video if there is a window? Sorry for all the questions...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot find the link for the step cut on lapigems. Like all vendors, they have stones of differing qualities. I am not on my laptop, otherwise I will highlight the large window for you.

Mlunzer

Rough_Rock
unfortunately it is already reserved for me and I have it just in my private area (the seller moved it just 1h ago in my private area), I still can withdraw and buying another one... Which one would you prefer of the cushion and emerald cut stones up to 2ct from that vendor? Maybe you can highlight the window later if you are in front of your laptop. That would be fantastic...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does, and thank you. Note that when you look through the table,instead of seeing the pavilion facets, you see green and the background. Compare that to the one below and see if you can spot the difference.

http://www.lapigems.com/gemstonedetails.asp?id=5975

Mlunzer

Rough_Rock
ok, thanks a lot, I can see a difference. But I would not say that I am able to spot windows very reliable now :cry: . The brilliance is a lot better in the video you posted. Unfortunately the stones is out of my budget.

Which ones would be your favorites of the cushion and emerald cut stones up to 2ct from that vendor? Or what you wait for better ones...

Mlunzer

Rough_Rock
My shortlist from lapigems.com, beside the posted stones, was the following:

0,9ct cushion (TSVC 1490)
1,47ct cushion (TSVC 1477)
1,13ct cushion (TSVC 1391)
1,39ct emerald cut (TSVC 1364)
0,86ct cushion (TSVC 1415)
1,04ct baguette (TSVC 1493)

Has anyone of that stones the right cut and color? I would appreciate get any feedback , that I am able to get the -15% for the January discounts... But if there is nothing interesting in the shortlist, I would prefer waiting for better options. Thanks a lot! Ciao Christian

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Chrono, even only being fairly new to Pricescope. The window in that gem is huge. It looks like they cut a few steps in it and decided to call it a day. With a step cut gem, you want lots of steps :) Something that looks more like this, albeit below is a Tourmaline and not the same color. But you get the idea.

step_cut.jpg

Mlunzer

Rough_Rock
thanks for the picture hobbitfancier55. It looks a lot better with more steps...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the photos are accurate, those tsavorites look more like dark chrome diopsides to me. If you like that look, color and want to save a boatload of money, maybe look at a chrome diopside, although they are rather soft. If you insist on a tsavorite, this is considered fine color. All of the photos posted above look very dark in tone and yellowish, which might be your preference.

img_14767.jpg

Mlunzer

Rough_Rock
TL thanks for your feedback and the picture of your wonderful ring. I was checking all vendors on the list and could not find that kind of color. I would like to have a similar setting but with emerald or prolonged cushion cut. What are the best sources for very nice tsavorites up to 8x6mm?? Ciao Christian

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mlunzer|1485888084|4122381 said:
TL thanks for your feedback and the picture of your wonderful ring. I was checking all vendors on the list and could not find that kind of color. I would like to have a similar setting but with emerald or prolonged cushion cut. What are the best sources for very nice tsavorites up to 8x6mm?? Ciao Christian

If you like that color, I would use that photo I provided to communicate to dealers what you're looking for. You can check primagemsusa.com, although I'm not sure Jaimeen, the owner, can still get that color. You can also check with Gene of precisiongem, as I believe he is the source of that stone in the photo. It's precision cut as well.

ETA: That's not my ring. It has a thread in here, but I forget who owns it.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My favorites of the Tsavorites you have listed are:
http://www.lapigems.com/gemstonedetails.asp?id=5304
and
http://www.lapigems.com/gemstonedetails.asp?id=5176
They are both a 5 on their tone scale, so shouldn't be dark. They look like they lean towards the yellow side of green, but that is not a bad thing if that color is your preference. Have you looked at lots of pictures of Tsavorites to determine what color/shade you prefer? I have been searching for Tsavorites in the price range of the ones you are looking at as well, and have found that most are not precision cut. It seems to be a case where something needs to be compromised to stay on budget with Tsavorites, be it cut, color or shape. The first stone above for example is .86ct at $516 and seems like a good value for the price to me. The stones that Chrono and TL gave as ideal examples of cut/color are very beautiful fine Tsavorites, but would be much higher in price than the ones you are looking at.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mlunzer

Rough_Rock
Great to get alles the feedbacks and advices. I need to learn a lot. I will check the links you provided. I was looking for alternatives in the meantime. The budget would be higher and I will compare price/value with the two options of lapigems.

I found the following four stones:

http://www.ajsgem.com/tsavorite-garnet-1.26-carats.html

http://www.ajsgem.com/garnet/tsavorite-garnet/tsavorite-garnet-1.33-carats.html

http://www.ajsgem.com/garnet/tsavorite-garnet/tsavorite-garnet-1.35-carats.html

https://gemfix.com/gems/tsavorite-250-portuguese-style-cushion-1-52cts

The stones look better, brighter and better cutted. But I am not able to see Windows. Maybe the pics are shot just under better lighting comditiond. The stones are approx. 50-100% more expensive.

tsavorite-garnet-gts-00043.jpg

tsavorite-garnet-gts-00124.jpg

tsavorite-garnet-gemstone-gts-00126-l.jpg

tsavorite_250.jpg

Mlunzer

Rough_Rock
Interesting, he bought it on a Trip to Sri Lanka. Why gets a Tsavorite to Sri Lanka? I like the stone, but is the color for a tsavorite not too light and a touch into the yellow.. . I am looking for an Emerald green color. Or is it all about my individual taste?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Mlunzer|1485904761|4122575 said:
Interesting, he bought it on a Trip to Sri Lanka. Why gets a Tsavorite to Sri Lanka? I like the stone, but is the color for a tsavorite not too light and a touch into the yellow.. . I am looking for an Emerald green color. Or is it all about my individual taste?
I think trade ideal is considered emerald color, specifically a bluish-green.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thought I offer up another tsavorite for you to check out from Rick at Art Cut Gems:
http://www.artcutgems.com/item.php?item_id=718&category_id=49

There are several photos for you to view and I think this is a really nice color/size for a tsav. Maybe a little more than your budget? But I think it is in the ballpark of what you are looking for. I personally like it, but not an expert on tsavs. Seems the stone may have a bit of yellow, but you could ask the vendor for more photos or opinion as it could be his lighting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results