shape
carat
color
clarity

Tsavorite Garnet Good color?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there thought of using these Tsavorite Garnet 4X4mm as sidestone for my 7X7mm peridot cushion. Is this a desired color?

tsavorite-garnet-gem-216273a.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too yellow for my taste in a tsavorite, but maybe that will make them match the peridot better?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As tsavorites, they look very brilliant but too yellow for my taste. In terms of a 3 stone with your peridot, I wonder if they will overpower the poor peridot.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks Makingthegrade and Chrono. Mmm..I do agree that it will steal the limelight given the more brilliant cut:)

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I rather like the colour if the photo match the actual stone they''ll be very pretty. Perhaps as side stones for another gem?

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
It is quite difficult to find a more saturated green in the smaller sizes. Given that these are just 4 mm, they look rather good. Can you share price information?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I like them too Chictomato. I also like the idea of mixing the different greens together. They don''t look yellow on my monitor either.

The only think I''m not sure about is the size. I think you could stretch to 5mm sides for your cushion, especially if they are trillions. Of course that might not be an option. I wouldn''t pass on these if they look good to you.

Nice looking project shaping up.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Chic, people have often commented that the stones from this vendor look photoshopped. That being said, I don''t remember if anyone has actually bought anything and posted about the differences, so it will be interesting to see what you think about them. Put them on hold or buy them if you are serious about them.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Color quality to you also depends on what your budget will allow for the pricepoint. Tsavorites can be notoriously expensive in fine quality and clean material. Since you're looking for smaller stones, that might help out a bit with a budget (if you have one).

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/16/2009 9:05:24 AM
Author: morecarats
It is quite difficult to find a more saturated green in the smaller sizes. Given that these are just 4 mm, they look rather good. Can you share price information?

Absolutely its around US$100 for a pair. It does not appear yellowish to me on my mac either.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/16/2009 11:13:33 AM
Author: Gailey
I like them too Chictomato. I also like the idea of mixing the different greens together. They don''t look yellow on my monitor either.

The only think I''m not sure about is the size. I think you could stretch to 5mm sides for your cushion, especially if they are trillions. Of course that might not be an option. I wouldn''t pass on these if they look good to you.

Nice looking project shaping up.

Hi Gailey, 5mm was my ideal size, went down to 4mm because this pair cuts deeper, without window:) Kindly keep me posted should you come across any 5mm color change stones:) Anyway I am still contemplating over a single stone setting or a 3 stones
19.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
They''re not a shade I would aim for with tsavorites. I have a few in that shade and they look really washed out next to my medium and medium dark stones.

I also see yellow, but then finding the blue toned ones is not easy.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I think they''re pretty, but I wouldn''t pair tsavorites with peridot. I think it''s a case of "almost but not quite a match" syndrome.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
they are not the rich green of tsav.... and i too wouldn''t pair them with a peridot. but you won''t know until you see them and i''m betting they''re a lot darker in person. they''re inexpensive enough so if you get them and don''t like them with your peridot, you could always use them for another project
emteeth.gif

mz

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I see the faintest tinge of yellow (didn''t notice it until some of the posters commented on it and I went back to the photo) but I still think those are beautiful stones. At the same time, though, I''m not sure if I''d pair them up with your peridot as I think the colors may clash and the styles of cut feel as though they''d be battling each other. But if you''re thinking about doing something with rubellite or something else equally bold and vivid, then these would make very nice sidestones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are very yellow. It's difficult to see this, but if you put them side by side with a tsavorite of the same tone, but more of a slightly bluish green, or pure green, you would probably see the difference.

Here is a page of examples of some tsavorites with medium to medium light tone and various colors of green (some more yellow green, some more bluish or pure green).

http://www.mineralminers.com/html/tsvgems.stm

I think your peridot would get lost with the side tsavorites. Side stones should compliment a center stone in order to make it pop. Since peridot itself is typically a yellowish green stone, they're not very complimentary.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/17/2009 10:23:45 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
They are very yellow. It''s difficult to see this, but if you put them side by side with a tsavorite of the same tone, but more of a slightly bluish green, or pure green, you would probably see the difference.

Here is a page of examples of some tsavorites with medium to medium light tone and various colors of green (some more yellow green, some more bluish or pure green).

http://www.mineralminers.com/html/tsvgems.stm

I think your peridot would get lost with the side tsavorites. Side stones should compliment a center stone in order to make it pop. Since peridot itself is typically a yellowish green stone, they''re not very complimentary. [/QUOTE

Thanks to all the advices! I have decided not to use the tsavorite garnet as side stones for my peridot:)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think some spessartite mandarin orange garnets would compliment the peridot nicely. I love orange and green together.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/17/2009 10:57:05 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I think some spessartite mandarin orange garnets would compliment the peridot nicely. I love orange and green together.

Thanks I shall keep a lookout!I do like orange, purple, blue,teal color to go with my apple green cushion peridot. Prefer a sapphire, spinel or garnet:) do keep me posted should you come across a pair!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results