shape
carat
color
clarity

Tsavorite Engagement Ring - Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jps

Rough_Rock

Hello Everyone

I bought my first tsavorite stone while I was finishing an externship in the States about 1.5 yrs ago. I had decided long before then I didn''t want a diamond engagement ring and when the time came to look for an alternative I fell in love with tsavorite garnets. It took a long time searching the net to make this decision and then a long time to try and find the actual stone. I made a purchase from the net and was quite happy with it in general but noticed a flaw in the cut were two facets met at the very top of the stone. You can see the flaw when very close and looking at different angles. Since I was new to the entire jewelry world I figured this was the best I was going to find. I returned home and was so busy finishing school I put off finding a setting for a very very long time. I finally started research again by hunting pictures of settings because I wanted to see if others had made similar coloured-engagement rings to make sure they looked as beautiful as I had in mind. This is when I stumbled across pricescope. I found a handful of rings that are similar to what I had in mind and they are amazing. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending how you look at it) I also found so many beautiful and flawless coloured gemstones I realize now I am not happy enough with mine to present to my bride-to-be (well, hopefully bride-to be).

I want a flawless (in all specifications) cushion cut tsavorite garnet, untreated (none are right?), length:width ratio of approximately 1.06, size approx 7.8mm, ct weight approx 2.3 ct. Do those dimensions, cut and weight calculate out correctly? I want the style of the cut itself to be closer to oldschool vs the extreme modern round facets (can''t tell I''m an amateur at all eh? - I hope you get my point). Based on the GIA system I want a pure green colour (G), medium-dark tone (6?), strong saturation (5?), VVS clarity (highest for this type of gem?). All the above information is small tweaks/similarities from my current stone: vslyG, 6/5, VVS, 2.3ct, 8.02x6.56x4.93mm that I have pictured below. You can see the rough opaque flaw between the first two facets from the very top of the stone in the top-right corner of picture 1, 2 and the bottom-left corner of picture 3. The other pictures are gorgeous rings others from this website have made and are similar to what I had in mind. I just haven’t decided if I want the sides of the ring to stay flat (pink) or rise up (blue) to the center stone (again - can’t tell I’m an amateur eh?). Lastly, I want it set in platinum.

If you have any suggestions, good or bad, regarding anything at all (stone choice, specifications/dimensions, where to find, where to set, etc, etc) - it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if there are any local suggestions, I live in Toronto, Canada.

Thank you all very much in advance.

rings216abc.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi JPS!

Welcome to the colored section of PS! You'll find a lot of tsavorite fans here! (Myself included, I just changed my avatar to my tsav since it's more Christmas-esque)
If it's not too personal, can I ask what budget you had in mind for this as to better find stones that are most suitable.

On a general note, if you aren't positive what kind of setting she would prefer, you can always set the stone in a simple silver or white gold solitaire and have it reset down the road with the help of her input. You'd be surprised how few women mind this
2.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Welcome!

I have a tsav e-ring - Wink Jones sourced mine from Palagems for me.

Unfortunately it can take a long time to find ''the'' stone, and tsavorites are rare enough that ticking all the boxes on a shopping list isn''t that easy. I would definitely contact vendors rather than trying to search yourself.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2009 5:06:00 PM
Author: Pandora II
Welcome!

I have a tsav e-ring - Wink Jones sourced mine from Palagems for me.

Unfortunately it can take a long time to find 'the' stone, and tsavorites are rare enough that ticking all the boxes on a shopping list isn't that easy. I would definitely contact vendors rather than trying to search yourself.

Agreed, especially since you have a very specific cut in mind. It can be hard enough to find the color you're looking for alone! Could you post a photo of the kind of cut you want? If you're looking for something more "old world" and chunky looking, Barry Bridgestock's cutting style reminds me of that a bit (I bought my tsavorite from him). But pictures of the kind of cut you had in mind would certainly be helpful.

Also, if you like the garnet you currently have in terms of color, you might want to consider contacting a gem cutter about possibly recutting the one you have to remove the inclusion if possible.

And you're right, most tsavorites (if not all) are untreated.

jps

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 4:57:26 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Hi JPS!

Welcome to the colored section of PS! You''ll find a lot of tsavorite fans here! (Myself included, I just changed my avatar to my tsav since it''s more Christmas-esque)
If it''s not too personal, can I ask what budget you had in mind for this as to better find stones that are most suitable.

On a general note, if you aren''t positive what kind of setting she would prefer, you can always set the stone in a simple silver or white gold solitaire and have it reset down the road with the help of her input. You''d be surprised how few women mind this
2.gif
Thank you for you suggestion. It is a neat idea but I''d prefer to have it 100% complete. The only reason I question the pink setting is because I think the blue one looks better from the side - nice gradual increase in height. From an overhead view I like both since those are the type of diamond settings I want.

As for the budget, I don''t have a very specific limit. My feelling is when something is used every single day for the rest of your life it is worth every penny if you get exacly what you want. I understand a nice tsavorite can get pricey.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Pandora. I could not have found a tsavorite on my own. The greens don''t photograph well, either. Mine is the size you are looking for, but not the shape; it is is an oval. I would think a cushion would be even harder to find. Here is a photo of mine. Perhaps the color will help you for comparison on your monitor, because I am very pleased with the color of this stone.

tsav petite.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the one place I see tsavorite cushions fairly regularly is Swala.
http://www.swalagemtraders.com/

Chrono bought a lovely cushion from them, you can search for it. Maybe that''s what you''re looking for?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's one on their site. It is reserved, but you can contact them anyways in case the buyer changes their mind, or there is another stone in the parcel they can recommend/cut for you.

2.39 ct
7.5 x 7.3 x 5.4 mm
2390$

"Top of the crop tsavorites (REGARDLESS of what your computer screen shows). This gem is part of a parcel of top colored tsavorites. The hue is pure green, not too dark, not too light. Perfect! Tsavorites from this parcel are all highly recommended."

http://www.swalagemtraders.com/search-gems/detail.php?pid=2137&cPage=3&sort=&perpage=8&cat=&display1=1&display2=&display3=0&category=&variety=&key=&match=&indicate=&reserve_type=&pagefrom=newarrivals

tsvswl2.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
It''s too bad you''re strictly traditional cushion . . . this concave cushion fits your ct requirement but not your dimensions, too. Saw it and thought of your topic . . . and would love to be able to see some real life shots of this one.
11.gif
Hehe.

RHTsavorite.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Since you''re so specific about all the details of the stone in question, I''d suggest you contact some cutters to see if they had any suitable rough material.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Finding rough for your stone is not going to be easy. I think you should contact all the cutters and see what they have. Swala, while not a a cutter but a dealer, is probably your best bet. I think you should also have a jeweller contact Palla for you - they have amazing gems in inventory.

As for the ring, I prefer integrated heads (like the blue one you posted) to peg heads (like the pink). I think a well designed integrated head looks a lot more fluid, while I can''thelp associating peg heads with mass rings (were a huge amount of similar rings are made and heads are attached afterwards, according to the customer''s stone). I think a stone such as the one you are looking for deserves a custom made setting, though.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I would second MTG and look into swalagemtraders. There are a lot of very nice stones (photographs do not do justice). Eric is great to work with, and he has stones he does not publish.

pierreone

Shiny_Rock
I also agree about contacting Swala. I just received my tsav from them and it''s such a gorgeous green (but I can''t photograph it accurately to save my life). They didn''t have the shape and size I was looking for posted on the website, so I contacted them and they had it cut within a day or so.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i like your attitude re budget and the $ spent being worth something you''re going to wear and look at every day!

down to business: i''d contact some vendors as noted above....who have worked with those wanting a tsav e-ring and being specific re color, cut, size, clarity, and other issues. they know what they''re doing and pricescopers have put them to the test. also, the tuscon show is coming up in february and if they know what you''re looking for, they can keep an eye out for something specific for you....whether it be a cut stone or rough to be cut to your specifications.

also, terminology used re diamonds is not used re color stones....VVS means something specific when speaking of diamonds but not necessarily when speaking of color stones.

i also agree that the stone you have now is not e-ring worthy........but it is something to learn from. pictures on the internet can be deceiving. some vendors take more care and expense than others to be accurage. some vendors phtoshop their stones to be nicer than they are. if you work with the vendors suggested you will be fine.

oh, and since you''re in toronto contact rwwise.com. better yet call him! he''s actually not that far from you. we bought my spess for my e-ring for him and we''re in california, i''ve never met the man and we did everything via phone, e-mail, and mail. he''s got an "eye" for fine stones and his prices reflect that fact. also, gene at preciousgem.com is not that far from you....about 1/2 way between you and richard wise.

and don''t rush just to get a ring in time for your beloved for the holidays! its better to get the ring right the first time!

mz

ps call richard wise as he has things in his vault that don''t make it to the website....i don''t see a tsav for sale there right now but that vault of his is filled with all kinds of things.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Just a note for you, jps -- it''s Gene at PrecisionGem.com, not Precious.
1.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Swala are a very good bet for a lovely Tsav but I''d also think about contacting Lapigems. They cut from rough too so may be able to do something for you. www.lapigems.com

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks, fiery! i got in a hurry with that one!

yes, gene at precisongem.com another facetor that knows a thing or two about garnets!

mx

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another huge recommendation for Swala. He seems to have a ton of tsavorites popping up on his webpage everyday. Shoot him an email and he might be able to cut something for you. However, I caution you about the VVS stuff; gemstones are not in the same category as diamonds. Eye clean is alll that everyone aims for. Not even loupe clean.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That Swala cushion is one of the most gorgeous tsavorites I've ever seen !! However, it's a medium tone and not a 6/5 as the OP wants. However, I would urge him to reconsider his color choice. that is one sumptuous stone!!
31.gif

ETA: Glad you found Pricescope, you'll get a great education here!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wondering, would my tsav be a 6/5? Something in between?

Hehe, I personally like medium-dark over medium
2.gif

jps

Rough_Rock
Well I’ve been trying to check in but it is difficult when my girlfriend and I share a computer…
THANK YOU ALL thus far. Below are some questions/comments for everyone in general and for replies to those that have already responded.

Some have suggested for me to contact vendors, cutters, etc. Can you please clarify for me the exact differences regarding sourcing, cutting and setting?

Only ‘Loving’ has suggested Lapigems. This is where I got my stone and I agree with how they graded it with hue, tone, saturation and the pictures they posted were very true as well. I certainly don’t agree with the quality of the cut. I should have used their return policy. Does anyone here have experience with Lapigems?

When first looking for a Tsavorite I tried to find out how coloured gemstones were graded. It seemed like the GIA system worked best and was relatively standardized on how they graded hue, tone and saturation. They also have classifications for clarity based on 3 types of gemstones. Eg. VVS for a Type II (Garnet plus many others) is the highest ranking though does not mean it is completely clean. Why aren’t more coloured gemstones graded like this (more importantly with regard to hue, tone and saturation because you can at least properly describe inclusions and what magnification they are seen at)? So many seem to say this colour is a ‘4.8/5’ or ‘top quality’. In my mind that is not specific at all when viewing it on a computer screen!

I do want more ‘old-world’ but I don’t like the sound of ‘chunky looking’. I’m afraid that these descriptors will mean few facets and large areas you can see through. I don’t have a detailed picture of what I want but is there no happy medium? Again, I wish I could articulate this better. Aside: I will say the Richard P Homer is crazy brilliant and made me think twice but ultimately not want I want – maybe for another piece of jewelry later on
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Most vendors get the stone already cut from elsewhere. Some vendors are cutters so they purchase the rough and cut it themselves. Swala is a little different in that they own the mine so Eric is able to get the rough, have it cut for sale. Most vendors and cutters do not set the stone. Unless the setting is very simple, a few vendors and cutters offer setting services. I’ve dealt with Lapigems but did not purchase from them. I had to be on the lookout for the depth of their stones as most tend to be deep, at least for the tsavorites I looked at. Other than that, their customer service was excellent. There is still disagreement with the usage of the GIA Munsell chart for various reasons but I agree that it at least gets everyone started on the same base line to talk about colour comparison.

jps

Rough_Rock
style="WIDTH: 99.24%; HEIGHT: 126px">Date: 11/24/2009 12:41:09 AM
Author: jps

I do want more ‘old-world’ but I don’t like the sound of ‘chunky looking’. I’m afraid that these descriptors will mean few facets and large areas you can see through. I don’t have a detailed picture of what I want but is there no happy medium? Again, I wish I could articulate this better. Aside: I will say the Richard P Homer is crazy brilliant and made me think twice but ultimately not want I want – maybe for another piece of jewelry later on
1.gif

MTG - Thanks for the link to some different cushion cuts. It is quite hard to tell exactly how it is faceted in the diamonds eh?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results