shape
carat
color
clarity

Tsavorite Engagement Ring - Help Please!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tsavoEringClueless|1438088638|3908267 said:
minousbijoux|1438055762|3908200 said:
MJO|1438039357|3908119 said:

Too dark imo, and definitely much darker than the OP has indicated he seeks.

I loved the shape of this stone a lot but was worried it might be a little dark also. It looks like it has a lot of extinction(?) due to either the cut, the color, or lighting / photography.

In general for color I ideally just want it to look vibrant green in all light, it seems like some of the yellowish tsavorites are lighter and less saturated so I want to stay away from that, but a highly saturated green with yellowish tinge is just fine (like the grassy color below)
download_14.jpg

As for bluish stones - it seems like those tsavorites tend to be highly saturated (which I like) but some are probably too dark for my liking.

I have contacted Bruce - waiting to hear back from him and can share pictures for your opinions if he sends any.

I have also been in contact with Prima regarding this cushion cut I liked a lot: https://primagemsusa.com/content/172-carats-natural-tsavorite and they sent another photo:

tsavorite10x.jpg

I also like this oval cut Prima has: https://primagemsusa.com/content/190-cts-natural-tsavorite although it may be a little too dark? (I am trying to get more pictures)

I would classify the oval as more of a mint, medium to medium light in tone, and some mints have more bluish secondaries, which is highly desirable, but rare. Bluish secondaries don't mean darker tone. If you prefer lighter stones than that, you will be going into mint territory.

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I would suggest looking for more mint colored green grossular stones as well. I think that the traditional darker green tsavorite may end up being too dark for what it sounds like you want.

Also, I find that light-medium and medium stones really look lovely in halo settings. Sometimes the bright white of diamonds in halos can have too much contrast against dark stones, and make them look smaller.

toadfishstudios

Rough_Rock
I don't know the prices of the ones you've looked at, but <http://www.africagems.com/oval-greentsavorite-g2k-2982.html> seems to be in the size and color range. I've bought from Marc and his dad for many years and have absolute trust in his quality. Without having the stone in front of me, I'd never trust a photo for perfect color match - and I'm a photographer who's done gem catalogs! Love tsavorite myself.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any tsavorite with a blue secondary is rare but well worth the price and time when you do find it. My personal sweet spot is a medium toned green gossular garnet with a blue secondary. I purchased mine from Swala and PrimaGems. One is medium whilst the other is a medium light, both with that elusive hint of blue. These do not black out, unlike most medium dark to dark toned tsavorite.

tsavoEringClueless

Rough_Rock
Hi all - just wanted to give an update and thank everyone for all the help and advice.

I just got 2 tsavorites from Bruce for inspeciton as well as a third from Gemfix. The two gems on the top are from Bruce and the lighter one on bottom is from Gemfix.

Natural light:
img_20150818_173632.jpg

Indoors:
img_20150818_173917__1_.jpg

These are tough to photograph and I didn't do a great job with my phone. The cut on the bottom gem from Gemfix is really nice and very sparkly, I think the color is too light.

I am going to go with the gem on the top right, from Bruce. Next step from here is sending it off to get set!

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Hi, congrats!

I think you've made a very good choice, that is my standout of the three too.

Your pic re. gemfix - compared with his pic of the stone it looks rather less vivid and saturated in real life, do you agree? Is it less so than you were expecting?

Please come back with a picture of the finished ring. Or if you are still thinking of settings let us know and post a few inspiration pictures so we can be nosy.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats with your choice :wavey:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The top right is the nicest of the three so I would have gone with that as well. Good luck and keep us posted.

tsavoEringClueless

Rough_Rock
Wanted to thank everyone again for the outpouring of help and advice and update (as promised) with pictures of the finished ring. The tsavorite was provided by Bruce Bridges and David Klass created the ring.

I proposed to my girlfriend this past weekend. She said yes (!) and she adores the ring:

cab1.jpg
cab4.jpg
cab7.jpg
cab11.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! Its a beautiful ring and looks great on her hand. Cheers to your new life!

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Wow, it is just stunning. Sets a new benchmark for tsavorite rings on ps. The cluster is just gorgeous. You must be thrilled

tsavoEringClueless

Rough_Rock
Thanks! The pictures are actually from David, so that is not my girlfriends hand, but it looks great on hers too. His studio setup does the ring much more justice than the phone on my camera.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! What a stunning e-ring. You have made such excellent choices and David did a great job.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This ring is gorgeous! :love: :love: Saw it on David's FB page and fell in love instantly. It's just perfect, from the details in the gallery to the shank. I'm sure she is thrilled. Great job! :appl:

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fabulous ring. Congrats on putting it all together and your engagement!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, the underside of the ring is gorgeous too! Congrats on the engagement! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results