shape
carat
color
clarity

Tsav or Chrome Tourmaline which is more durable.

ededdeddy

Rough_Rock
So many gemstones so many questions! I''ve been trolling some of the tsavorite and chrome tourmaline pics and was wondering which gem is stronger. I know they are similar on the mohs scale but it seems that maybe tourmaline has the edge. I love emeralds but don''t like the brittleness, the treatments, or the cracked inclusions. Dang I wish spinel came in emerald green!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/17/2010 4:11:30 PM
Author:ededdeddy
So many gemstones so many questions! I''ve been trolling some of the tsavorite and chrome tourmaline pics and was wondering which gem is stronger. I know they are similar on the mohs scale but it seems that maybe tourmaline has the edge. I love emeralds but don''t like the brittleness, the treatments, or the cracked inclusions. Dang I wish spinel came in emerald green!
I think they are around the same hardness, but I think tsavorite is more durable than tourmaline. Tourmaline really tends to chip easily if you knock it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I am not mistaken, tsavorites have a slight edge over tourmalines. Not only that, with a higher RI, it is also a flashier stone than a chrome tourmaline. Large chromes have a tendency to be overly dark but it is possible to find some that aren''t too dark with good colour. However, tsavorites are also typically more expensive than chrome tourmalines too.

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
Just qns from me..tsav, grossular and chrome tourm, in which species can I easily obtain an intense green? thank you

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/17/2010 11:48:45 PM
Author: Agnesg
Just qns from me..tsav, grossular and chrome tourm, in which species can I easily obtain an intense green? thank you

Probably tsavorite, and some have a little blue in them that I never see in chrome tourmalines.

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
so in other words tsavorite is easier to find?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can from all of them; it is a matter of how long you are willing to search and how much money you are willing to pay. My guess is that it is easier to find an intense green tsavorite over a chrome tourmaline though.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a tsavorite is going to be easier to find and they have a very intense color. I can''t wait to see what you get.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The really intense chrome green tourmaline are usually too dark. I see these in the rough, and they look just fantastic when you shine a light in them. The color is a fantastic very chrome green with blue. However, everyone I have ever purchased has turned out too dark. As you get the lighter chrome tourmaline, the intensity is lower, and the blue modifier is replaced with yellow. I think the color is still very very nice, and they make a striking stone.

Tsavorites are similar, but since they are not dichroic, they are a more open color stone.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
How about one of each?! Here are mine. IRL the tourm (right) is a little more yellow and the tsav is a deeper more intense hue.

tsavchrom.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results