shape
carat
color
clarity

Trying to choose b/w two stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sktung

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I would greatly appreciate any help in facilitating my decision between the following two stones.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?item=315333&scsize=1024

http://www.uniondiamond.com/diamonds/diamonds.php?item_id=AA107027&search_type_id=2&action_type_id=2&network_id=0cf05810a0f83094f6e9972ef21cdd34#

Thank you very much.

Stephen

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Valeria and Strm both gave the ok on the JA one in your other thread. The Union one may be ok, but we'd need more information to decide between the two. Also, the measurements for it are 7.75-7.68-4.64 (a little out of round.) Without more information, I'd say pass (if the cutter can't make a round diamond...) 1.5% discount on wire transfer at JA (according to their site.)

sktung

Rough_Rock
The specs are as follows:

Weight: 1.66
Measurements: 7.69 - 7.71 x 4.66mm
Depth: 60.5%
Table: 54%
Girdle: Medium, Faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Clarity: SI1
Color: E
Fluorescence: None
Cut Grade: Very Good

HCA:
- Light Return: Excellent
- Fire: Excellent
- Scintillation: Excellent
- Spread: Very Good
Total Visual Performance: 0.6 - Excellent

The other one

Weight: 1.70
Measurements: 7.68 - 7.75 x 4.64 mm
Color: F
Clarity: SI1
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None
Cut: Very Good

HCA
- Light Return: Excellent
- Fire: Excellent
- Scintillation: Excellent
- Spread: Ecellent
Total Visual Performance: 0.6 - Excellent

Both very close in specs and in price. Thus, my dilemma. The inclusions look about the same, though I am no expert by any means.

Thanks again.

Stephen

Houseparty

Rough_Rock
Hi Steven,
Well you have a rich budget and you will end up with a very impressive stone.

I just bought an SI1 so it is a good way to gain more size, which you certainly have done. You are gunning rather high in color, especially with this moderate clarity combination. Perhaps if you went a little lower on color it would be hard to notice, but you could save $, and have a bigger selection to choose from.

I believe both stones would not receive a top cut grade from either GIA or AGS, based on their angles. Since cut controls 90+% of light performance, I suggest you seek stones with a superior cut. While the PS community is correctly cut obsessed, many people do not take the time to educate themselves, so the $ cut premium is less than many believe it should be.

The ideal crown and pavillion angles are dynamic, inveresly related and rely on other factors. However a good place to start is 40.8 degree pavillion, 34.5 degree crown. There is enough info on the internet to learn allot quickly. Take your time and enjoy.

Sincerely,
David

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have an IS of either stone?? Also what is the depth and table of the second stone. I didn''t read your other thread? Thanks!! This is going to be a close call, IMHO.

Houseparty

Rough_Rock
I see the HCAs are posted, and they are excellent! Gary loves these kind of stones, and perhaps you do too. I lack the confidence to go there, so I favor more traditional cuts. Both are GIA ''VG'', and AGS ''3'' right?

Sorry if I mislead you...

David

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t know this website.
They have one cool picture (look at the IS image):
How nice !
30.gif

sktung

Rough_Rock
Depth and table of the second stone are as follows:

depth: 60.1%
table: 57%

any other info needed? still pretty new at this...

thanks again

Stephen

sktung

Rough_Rock
Here is the IS image for the 1.66 carat

8448838.jpg

sktung

Rough_Rock
Hello David,

Could you please clarify.

I just bought an SI1 so it is a good way to gain more size, which you certainly have done. You are gunning rather high in color, especially with this moderate clarity combination. Perhaps if you went a little lower on color it would be hard to notice, but you could save $, and have a bigger selection to choose from.

I believe both stones would not receive a top cut grade from either GIA or AGS, based on their angles. Since cut controls 90+% of light performance, I suggest you seek stones with a superior cut. While the PS community is correctly cut obsessed, many people do not take the time to educate themselves, so the $ cut premium is less than many believe it should be.

I ran the HCA on both stones, and they came out great...so doesn''t that mean that its an ideal cut per GIA or AGS?

Please clarify.

Thanks again.

Stephen

Houseparty

Rough_Rock
Hi Stephen.,
I try to clarify, but I need to retract some comments.

Most GIA Si1s are "eye clean" so you can get more size for your money, and chicks like size.

Theoretically, diamond availablity is pyramid shaped, with the best and rarest of the 4 Cs at the top of the pyramid. VS is more rare than I1. 2ct is more rare than 0.5ct. E more rare than H, etc. I thought that you would have more options at near coloreless (G,H) than colorless (D-F). However, given your particular specs, availability did not improve when we lowered color. You may have different, but not more options. If you want a white stone and are willing to pay for it, then these are good candidates.

There is a lack of consensus in the industry on what makes the optimal cut:
HCA but tends to give its best ratings (really low numbers) to tighter angels, relatively shallow cuts.
GIA gives its top rating (Ex) to a wide variety of cuts and is being criticized for its approval of steep and deep cuts.
AGS gives its top rating (0) to only one fifth the combinations that GIA does. Their new 2005 system, is well respected.
Often all three groups do not agree on which stone makes their top grade. Thus, even though HCA gave both stones awesome figures, AGS and GIA may not agree. There are other cut grade methods, but this is a start.

I think there is a discepency on the PA of the 1.66 stone. I first saw the megoscope which gave it a 40.2 PA, which may be tight. However, the GIA report check says the PA is 40.6 which is more accomodating. Given the 40.6 PA and 34.0 CA, GIA gives this cut it highest grade (Ex) on GIA Report Check. AGS gives it a "2", which is excellent, but not quite "ideal". If you trust the GIA numbers over the megascope then this looks ike a winner to me.

The 1.70 does not seem as desirable as the 1.66. The cert calls this stone''s cut grade as "Very Good", and I think as an AGS "3".

The 1.66 is superior in color, symmetry, and I like the inclusion plot map better as well. Between the two my preference is the 1.66 (without seeing of course). In the end you will have a BIG, white, brilliant stone that will make your wife''s friends envious.

Best Wishes,
David

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results