shape
carat
color
clarity

Trusting Small Shops

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TJGWRB

Rough_Rock
Hi, I''ve been looking at a 3 stone ring with princess cuts for sometime now. I"m coming close to buying one (hopefully this week). I have visited many places and found that lose diamonds don''t really very that much in price or quality per price between venders. I have found one vender with a diamond and setting that I like. I live in Chicago, and the vendor is from one of those vendors on Jewelers Row (Simply Brilliant). While I have met with my jeweler several times and trust him, I was wondering if other people have experience with these types of venders and whether they''re craftmanship in setting the ring is good.

This vender is willing to give my a platinum ring setting (with .5ctw sides) for $950 whereas other are charging $1300-1500. I like his style better than others but I''m worried the quality might not be as good. He says he uses 90-95% platinum. What do you guys think.

Thanks
Neal

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
With that kind of price differential there is probably a substantial difference in the quality of the stones. Make sure you can figure out why there is such a difference...it will NOT be because you are a nice guy and he just wants to give you a break, believe me!

TJGWRB

Rough_Rock
Well the price difference isn''t in the stones, its in the ring. I''m getting a platinum ring with .5tctw on the sides. The smaller jeweler is offering the ring with 90% platinum for $900. Some of the more established stores are offering for $1500. I don''t know if anybody has had experience with the smaller shops and whether the quality of the ring is less?

Also, do most people get 90% platinum or 95%? Thanks for the help Gary, I''ll definately ask why they can do it cheaper.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

A lot of the very best work comes out of the smaller shops. These are the stores where a master craftsman wants control of every aspect of the process from the alloy of the metal to the giftwrapping. Not surprisingly, this sort of operation usually doesn’t have a big budget for advertising and most people have never heard of them. It’s not the size of the operation that makes it worth considering rewarding them with your business. It’s the character the people behind the counter and the skills of the people behind them.

If you''re worried about the quality of the workmanship, get it appraised by an independent expert as soon as you get it. Make sure the jeweler knows this is the plan and, if there any concerns, take at back and have the jeweler address them.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results